• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why I hate boom trucks

skyking1

@Acoals , I drag the 120 on a 3' tall tag all over. I also drove this truck for a couple of years.
rocktruck.jpg

There is just no comparing it. That airbagged crane just dips the front corner and the rears follow, and it is the most sickening sensation. It caught me a time or two but I am pretty conservative, and I dialed it down a couple more times.
The 120 behind the Ford feels downright sporty by comparison.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Air seems like a bad idea. That's why I just spec'd my new tag trailer with air only on the lift axle and springs on the other two. My current tandem trailer rocks enough as it is with the 315 loaded with springs.

cfherrman

How heavy is the mast on those boom trucks? I drive oilfield pulling units all the time and I think the masts are way heavier. The one in my avatar mast is 10,000#.

I drive the speed limit in everything, people get so made when you do 65 in a 65.

Truck Shop

Nice thing about it is you can set the cruise at the speed limit and relax not having to pass anyone.
That's true, very true. But it doesn't take away from the fact they are overdriving in a winter
time situation. I just want to see these patriotic flag waving americans to start
observing the laws they hold so dear.

Tugger2

I have a friend that was short an operator for a 30 ton picker on a tandem x tandem Western Star,a beast of a truck . A couple of times id go out with my trucker buddy ,he would drive and id operate. Id go ahead in my pickup and scope out the site ,and radio him in on the best route. Worked great,but a 2 man crew on a picker truck just dosent cut her in todays market. Ill stick to my old friction conventionals and keep an oiler wherevever i can thanks.

Welder Dave

There's a 2007 KW tandem tridem picker truck for sale at auction that I posted in another thread. It has Neway air suspension. So far not much interest as it's only at $650. Maybe just better drivers in the oilfield that are more used to top heavy loads? It's a C500B with an Cummins ISX 530. I'd guess it's not going to meet reserve.

Natman

My Mack/National combo has a walking beam rear I'm told, all I really know is it corners like a sports car, a 54,000 pound sports car admittingly, but still good enough to hit any posted curve sign area 10 mph above with no sweat. My worst ride was the 17 ton Terex, single axle, 5 below the curve speed was still an attention getter. My jib (12-1400 pounds I think) has been off for a couple years now, that helps a lot,

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bulldogs with camel backs handle tall weight about as well. Same reason Hendrickson built Rubber Block ride walking beam that was installed on Crane Chassis or mixer and dump trucks, stability. Air ride or springers really have no purpose on heavy high COG machines except engineering trying to soften a really bad riding machine that does not need it to sell more equipment.
Western star Quads I have driven with the four leaf axle to axle spring/beam sway like a hog and get tricky as to tippy off angle much at all. Did not care for those.

Natman

A very experienced long time heavy truck recovery/tow truck guy told me that once, after I got stuck. While waiting, I rigged one of my old slings (kept onboard just for a two strap, to the rear tandem axle, thinking to save him time and me money. When he showed up, he mentioned that as it was a walking beam suspension, pulling on the axle was not the way to go...., and he then went to a fair bit of trouble to unrig it and find a spot on the Mack's frame (pulling it backwards). I remember this because I couldn't see any reason why not just pull the way I had it, I was pissed off already and thought he was just running the meter up, taking longer to charge more, but kept my mouth shut. Glad I did, kept my mouth shut, as when he got me out, the price was the base charge I was first told over the phone and I was a happy camper, he was a good dude! About 10 days later I heard that he got killed when his rig went off the road, no reason given.

crane operator

Those things can't be that top heavy. Can't be any worse than an excavator up on a tag trailer.
You'd be wrong

I think the masts are way heavier. The one in my avatar mast is 10,000#.
You'd be wrong too. My tms 300 boom weighs more than that. If I remember right, it weighs more than that with the butt section left in the crane. Those 80 ton machines are probably 90-100,000 gross on a 30,000lbs truck, with a center of gravity of 60,000lbs probably 5' above the frame rails.

Are you saying it had air ride suspension?

Amazingly, probably 3/4 of the ones sold are on air ride. Looks fine on paper by weight specs. Not so much hanging a corner going a little fast.

Hauling an RT on a lowboy is not something I enjoy. Yellow iron isn't bad.
Top heavy ball of fun ain't they. The big rubber tires make chaining it tight kind of important, or they can really rock. Our trailer is a side drop and I think that helps with the center of gravity on them.