• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

why dont you use a 4in1 bucket?

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Well, have both. Use the 4n1 for the clamming like mentioned. Would like to be a better operator of it. But my SS is more used as a tool carrier. And grabbing a regular bucket for a quick task is better than having to run/hook hoses. I figured when I bought the used 4n1 I'd get rid of my regular bucket- sure glad I didn't.

Lowe.Buuck

A 4in1 is like a Swiss Army Knife and allows you do do a variety of tasks but not optimal for any one thing.

The extra weight of the 4in1 is an advantage on my toothed bucket when trying to penetrate in difficult soils. It is my preferred bucket for digging and general work. For load and carry ops, I prefer my standard Low Profile bucket.

I bought my used Bobcat 4in1 toothed bucket for $800, worth every penny. 4in1 buckets are rare to see in my area.

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
I had one for my bobcat. Wasn't a fan so I sold it. It was heavy and didn't grapple well. Tried picking up logs and brush, and it was always dropping stuff. Ended up buying a demo, and a root grapple. Much happier.

Jeckyl1920

I hate not having one on a backhoe. The extra weight helps balance the machine, and makes unloading off a trailer with a breaker on it not so tipsy.

I've ran skids of all types out here, and not one has had a 4 in 1. Quite honestly, when doing concrete demo, I HATED the skid because it didn't have a 4 in 1. Now in AC, we move more material without it, but ac is a specific animal.

I believe the reason for no 4 in 1 here is the amount of labor. We dont send an operator without a labor. It's rare. I've seen one with a 4 in one. It was a lone operator loading a pile of trash out of a warehouse.

The reason that matters is..... stupid.... and old. Supervisors and owners dont like seeing idle workers. Even if they have a traffic control paddle.

Imo, loading with a 4 in 1 is faster. You dont move the pile. You make less mess. You clean up better.

My guess is price is the biggest deterrent. 72" 4 in 1 is $2000-3000 more than a solid bucket. The other being, most skid steer operators aren't good operators. "That's why they are in a skid steer" would be the normal prejudice.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that here in Oz pretty much all skidsteers with 4n1 buckets are hired with a leveling bar. A leveling bar is usually home made from RHS, 3 or 4 bars across and 2 lugs sticking up so that it can be grabbed with the 4n1 and is a lot wider than the bucket. It's expected that if you hire a skidsteer it's 4n1 and leveling bar or the highway

td25c

I could sure see a 4 in I bucket coming in handy at times .

No where close to the JD 911 backhoe attachment . We take the front bucket along with the backhoe to every job .

Don't take long to swap attachments for the given task at hand .

Pound for pound that little rascal will move material with anything .

Almost as handy as a Leatherman Super tool 300 .:)https://www.leatherman.com/super-tool-300-2.html

100_1365.JPG 100_3626[1].JPG

Tags

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that here in Oz pretty much all skidsteers with 4n1 buckets are hired with a leveling bar. A leveling bar is usually home made from RHS, 3 or 4 bars across and 2 lugs sticking up so that it can be grabbed with the 4n1 and is a lot wider than the bucket. It's expected that if you hire a skidsteer it's 4n1 and leveling bar or the highway

Any pics of the leveling bar? I only have a 4n1 with a tooth bar on my CTL and would not be without it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
One thing if you build your own make sure the grab lugs are inside the tracks. That's so you can lay it on the tray and park the CTL on top of it

Jeckyl1920

I like it, but we dont have a 4 in 1 and just use a low pro bucket for grading.

Maybe that's what the earlier comments of "we are better operators and dont need it" are about. It's what we are used to, so we do without.

I've seen similar for excavators with tilt rotators.

td25c

I like it, but we dont have a 4 in 1 and just use a low pro bucket for grading.

It's what we are used to, so we do without.
We have pretty good luck grading with a low pro bucket .

I can see where in loose material the " Leveling Bar " would work great spreading it out even .

Run what ya brung . :)