• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why does D7G brake grab

j&d

Occupation
Crop & Livestock Producer
Brakes have always been a little touchy when used in conjunction with steering clutches. Would say no different than the other 3 7Gs i've sat. But now the right one seriously grabs when using lever or pedal. It'll literally throw me in the seat when in 1st gear. Looks like right track stops and starts every 10 inches when moving in 2nd gear. Kinda started in one day. Way worse when machine and the air temp is warm.
Book shows a cylinder/piston on top of housing but under fuel tank that controls brake. Brake linkage goes there. Is this area where the problem lies? We cracked oil line feeding the cylinder/piston and have oil. Pressure....not so sure, didnt open it that far.
Are we gonna hurt anything running it a while? Got a lot of work to do. Cooler weather may help? Trying not to use brake any more than necessary.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
ETA: 92V8098

Last edited:

.RC.

The combined steering clutch brake levers use the control valve under the seat/fuel tank to actuate the clutches and brake.

The foot pedals go straight into the steering clutch compartment and manually activate the brake as well as get hydraulic boost (if available). So does it grab when using the foot brake? Or pull the steering lever out to just activate the steering clutch, then press the foot brake. If it slams on, then I think the problem will be in the steering clutch compartment. I am not a mechanic so could have this all wrong as well. :D

j&d

Occupation
I appreciate the reply.

The brake grabs with both lever and pedal im pretty sure. Pedal is kinda gumed up from lack of use. Use left to stop rolling so right gets used less and bearings under deck are stiff.

I need to do more investigating but i think the linkage for both go to the hydraulic boost as you call it. Inside that control valve is a piston and some springs that i am speculating are wore or broken.

I just cant imagine what internally could be the problem. If brake band or pads were broken i would assume there would be no brake at all.

Im runnin it. Still gettin the job done. She's to good of a machine to leave me stranded.
Thanks.

.RC.

The foot brakes actuate directly onto the brake band. Otherwise if there was a hydraulic pressure failure you would have no brakes. The foot brake will also actuate the booster piston in the brake/clutch compartment giving you hydraulic boost if available. There are valve spools and springs and stuff both in the steering control under the fuel tank and in each brake bank actuator in the steering clutch/brake compartment.

Have you checked out the brake adjustment? I take it you do not have a service manual?

j&d

Occupation
The foot brakes actuate directly onto the brake band. Otherwise if there was a hydraulic pressure failure you would have no brakes. The foot brake will also actuate the booster piston in the brake/clutch compartment giving you hydraulic boost if available. There are valve spools and springs and stuff both in the steering control under the fuel tank and in each brake bank actuator in the steering clutch/brake compartment.

Have you checked out the brake adjustment? I take it you do not have a service manual?

This is good info. Thanks.
Magnetic screen looks good bluox....just not sure what swarf is.

I dont have a service manual. I think may be time for me to consult local mechanic....I can run em but workin on em....not so sure i trust myself. Im used to ag stuff. Its not so big and heavy.

Thanks.