• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who's trained.....

What type of training do you have?

• Total voters

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Sounds like a first class company you work for C B.
I once had a high angel rescue class it was extremely interesting.
I hope all works out for you to get the class.
5 12’s and 5 on Saturdays don’t leave much time to get stuff done at the home let a lone the fire department.
I need something like a 30 hour day.

6 12's here with Sunday night off. I work at night so I'm free during the day to an extent.

Jeff D.

Countryboy, does your question about training include if we've ever had it, or must it be current?

I had CPR training back when I drove bus, but that's been awhile.

I saw on the national news recently that there's some controversy as too the benifit of doing mouth to mouth along with chest compressions during CPR.

If I understood it correctly, it sounded as if they felt that chest compressions alone @ 100/minute gave a higher chance of survival.:beatsme

Countryboy

Occupation
Countryboy, does your question about training include if we've ever had it, or must it be current?

I had CPR training back when I drove bus, but that's been awhile.

I saw on the national news recently that there's some controversy as too the benifit of doing mouth to mouth along with chest compressions during CPR.

If I understood it correctly, it sounded as if they felt that chest compressions alone @ 100/minute gave a higher chance of survival.:beatsme

No it doesn't have to be current. The poll was mainly to find out how many people have had training and to what extent. Just because a persons certification has lapsed does not mean that they have forgotten everything they learned. Thats what refreshers are for, to reiterate some of the "details" that are commonly forgotten. :thumbsup

In reference to the CPR question, I think there is always a better way but the better way for one victim may not be the better way for another victim. The purpose of the study is to find the best general "rule of thumb" for people to use in all circumstances.

I have the most up-to-date CPR training (2/18/07) where we were taught the newest CPR procedure which is 2 breaths to every 30 compressions. Last year it was 2 breaths to every 15 compressions. Before that, it was 2 breaths to every 10 compressions.

You have to remember that CPR is the most basic form of life support. This is why I say CPR is more a "rule of thumb" for the majority of victims than a solution for every victim. I'm sure they will always be changing the procedures to benefit the victim to which I whole heartedly support but a common misconception is to think that taking away those 2 breaths and doing only compressions, is going to save thousands of lives. I don't doubt it will save more lives if the studies are correct. I don't think its going to be a very noticable difference though.

alco

I had my EMT certification, but let it lapse since I am no longer on the municipal fire department. The company I work for would happily pay me to recertify, but I will be changing jobs in a month or so and have to give up the emergency response team so it wouldn't be worth my while or theirs.

Brian

nedly05

So in your area Steve, the Fire dept and Rescue are seperate? Down here if you're on the Fire dept then you're pretty much considered Rescue too since the training pretty much blends the two.

I've performed CPR 22 times since I started 9 years ago and yes I keep count. Only 16 of those were successful. 4 of those 16 were children. Children will always get to ya, no matter what you've seen or who you are, in the business.

Our FD has Fire and EMS together running out of the same station, you can join specifically as an EMS member, but if you join for fire you have to do both. I am very lucky in 10 years I have missed every code and never had to do CPR, unfortunately I have been on a bunch of fatal incidents that the victims were too far gone to attemp recussitation. That always sucks, but you can't let it drag you down, our county is good about providing CISD when needed. I really enjoy being a part of the FD, and I woulnd't mind doing it as a carreer. I am lucky at work that I always am in town and the boss (my dad) lets me leave. He gets a little tense when it's a big call like a fire because he knows I am gonna be busy for the rest of the day most likely. Nothing beats that adrenaline rush when the tones drop!!!:usa

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
Just finished the class to recertify, haven't gotten to the test yet.

I started on the SAR team, and ended up joining the fire dept, just to get hold of a radio.

Wish I had the time to do EMT, but as many of you have mentioned, it's hard to keep up with the certification you already have, much less get more.

Most proud of the Certified Emergency Manager certification, was the hardest to get, and I really want to pursue the Master's level. Not many of those guys (and gals) around.

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
this is one of my rides when i am with the county:D

Attachments

• 3031_1.jpg
    3031_1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 251

dirtslinger

Ive been a nationally certified emt for 4 years now. Mostly as a side job since there is hardly any money to be made working full time as one. Around here EMTs at most make $12/hour. The wage is laughable to say the least. And plus, I rather enjoy running equipment and keeping rescue merely as a hobby and having the added knowledge on jobsites.
I also have a variety of other certifications, haz mat, ekg, swift water rescue II, and confined space rescue.

My experience has been that the first aid/cpr courses you are required to take for a lot of jobs are a joke. Either the material is so brief you'll do more harm than good if its needed, or its presented in such a way that if youve never had experience with it, you wouldnt understand it. But its funny how some who have been through the classes think they know everything when it comes to an emergency. Ive nearly got into a physical altercation with a foreman who thought he knew how to treat an injured coworker who was crushed and burned.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I am a cert Fire Fighter 2, and First Responder. Also some training in trench/technical rescue and rope rescue. Wouldn't mind trying to get my EMT certification, but don't have the time right now.
Trbo

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
I just got back from taking a Technical Ropes Rescue class to add to all the other things I've gotten to do since I retired. Had a really good time with it, but it's slowly convincing me that I need to start letting the younger guys do the fun stuff. 54 year old knees don't need to get hauled out of third floor windows, up and over roof parapets.

Countryboy

Occupation
I just got back from taking a Technical Ropes Rescue class to add to all the other things I've gotten to do since I retired. Had a really good time with it, but it's slowly convincing me that I need to start letting the younger guys do the fun stuff. 54 year old knees don't need to get hauled out of third floor windows, up and over roof parapets.

Congrats on the class.

That's one of the classes I'm wanting to take. Gotta make some time somewhere though. I've been finding it easier to take a couple days off from work to take courses at the academy in Forsyth. Trying to make classes over several weekends at the station takes up alot of time.

Ahh the joys of retirement.....one of these days I'll be there. :D

MMSOCAL

Occupation
Excavator Operator 375b,ex1100me, 5130
The contractor i work for rotates out the current staff every year. Since we are certified for 2 years in first response, we do a once a year class. Atleast all the super's and most of our operators that have and will be around for awhile have all been certified.
I think it is a great idea, i worked for a contractor before that had one certified person per site, which wouldnt be so bad if that person, our saftey man, was ever at work. Its a costly class i imagine but it'll be worth is when we need it. Not to mention the benifits for those with families with children and elders.

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
wow, alot of volunteers here.
I was a volunteer back home..
fire one fire two,cpr,National regestered emt,Mo state emt,I used to go to Fire school every winter in columbia missouri...I have a stack of certificates.

but as I got older and had a family and a job that demands my time...I let it all go. I couldnt keep up with the credits.
My dad is a paid firefighter at NKC (assis chief.) I guess it runs in the family..
IVe seen some crazy stuff.