• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who's still running a jd 500c or any 500.

JDfan500C

I was just wondering who still is running these old beasts and how they like them. Also if anybody knows of any information on them. I do still run mine and love it I also have the manuals for them if anybody needs parts or any information.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I had an old 500A, it was in poor repair and not really worth fixing, found it too big for most uses, the hoe was huge and it felt very top heavy on uneven ground.

JDfan500C

I understand. But some still have to be around and working still. I have seen some for sale. I'm just surprised nobody has anything to say about them.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
it's probley been that long since I've seen one on a job working used to work with an older guy that's the only machine he had and he was good at laying pipe.and they were old then. most of the contractors that run them upgraded to the 710's

JDfan500C

Nice. I don't expect contractors to still be running them as a main machine. They are 30 plus years old. They do make good yard machines tho and for privet use. The one that are still running good anyway. I know parts are getting hard to find for them.

tlray

Occupation
Retired
I just bought a 500 A series. She's old and ugly but runs like a top. Planning on using it to dig a basement and move dirt around on my new property in South Carolina.

JDfan500C

That's great these machines have plenty of power to get any job done even being on the old side. Just can't beat some old iron. I have a parts book if you need info even tho it's for a 500c but they are a pretty much the same.

tlray

Occupation
Retired
That's great these machines have plenty of power to get any job done even being on the old side. Just can't beat some old iron. I have a parts book if you need info even tho it's for a 500c but they are a pretty much the same.

Thanks, I do have a question for you. Is the starter on it a 12 volt?

JDfan500C

2 6 volt batteries connected in series give 12 volts for the electrical system. The solenoid switch part # is AR90070 its a kit.

xtriggerman

I bought a 500A (72) back in 95 and used it to put in a cabin in heavy woods. It was quite a power full machine with the 80HP diesel. It had well over a dozen fish plates on it and soon I had to oversize the front frame to engine block bolts. It was essentially a JD 400 tractor with backhoe attachments. In the 15 years I ran the machine, the shuttle shift trany was bullet proof. Once I talked to a big tractor bone yard in Texas and the guy told me the tractor's engine was a sought after engine. Said he would buy the back hoe if I ever wanted to sell it if it ever became a parts unit. I originally paid $4400 with manuals in 95 and sold it to my neighbor for $2500 with no dickering. Im sure I could have gotten more but I sold the cabin homestead and had to move ASAP after I used it to load heavy machinery into my trailer. That machine saved me many, many thousands of dollars in everything from putting in my leach field to skidding & stacking fire wood trees. Many of the bushings & pins were pretty beat but it was still a good working property machine when I sold it. In my new home now and just bought a NH Ford 555E for $14,850 delivered with 2900 hrs. Huge upgrade from the old 500, just hope it will be just as reliable with that TC trany.

JayB73

I'm getting ready to buy my first backhoe I'm thinking pretty seriously about buying a Jd 500c