• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WHO operated one of these?

dieseldave

Another ugly one

Another contender for "ugliest backhoe" is this Ottowa mounted on a 580B. From what I understand the Case was originally a Case-Davis trencher, which would explain the front backfill blade. Somewhere in time the trencher was removed and the backhoe installed in it's place. Note that the operator and control station swings with the boom :eek:

Attachments

• ottowa backhoe 10001.JPG
    ottowa backhoe 10001.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,269
  • ottowa backhoe 20001.JPG
    ottowa backhoe 20001.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,220
  • ottowa backhoe 30001.JPG
    ottowa backhoe 30001.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,292

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
Trouble is......it couldn't do that very well either.

Well it was the best selling backhoe in Europe in the 60's, i have to agree with you in someway though, JCB did sort lose their way a bit, and when Case brought in the 580F in the mid 70's, it did win hands down IMO... and JCB did lose out a lot right up to the introduction of the 3CX in 1980.

Here is another machine from the 60's .. the Massey Ferguson 203X ..

Attachments

• image-9.jpg
    image-9.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 5,739

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Here is another machine from the 60's .. the Massey Ferguson 203X ..

Now thats what I learned on :drinkup

Torque converter drive, independant brakes and having passed a test could drive it on the road at 16yrs old. :D

Was it not a 2203? and a 2205? later became a MF40R with backacter controls in cab and a flip over seat.

Then graduated to a JCB 3c mk11 spent many an hour with the front bucket turned over for trench backfilling, and a manual gearbox :Banghead that hurt after the torque converter of the MF :D

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

...... Note that the operator and control station swings with the boom :eek:

I hope whoever came up with that idea got thrown off of one and learned not to build them that way. I also hope the swing was slow.
If it would swing anything like a Case hoe, you would not stand a chance of staying on long. It would make for good practice for the rodeo though!

IH270A

I know somebody around here that had one of those , but without a cab on it , he used it in his junk yard buisness ... turning over and removing items ..

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
Was it not a 2203? and a 2205?

I belive it did become that, when it was based on the massey 135, it had the square type mudguards ..the picture i have put up showed it with a 220 backhoe and 702 loader.. dont foget the backhoe was a Davis design.

I hope whoever came up with that idea got thrown off of one and learned not to build them that way. I also hope the swing was slow.

It was quick if i remember rightly,but not as quick as the Case but i dont recall anyone getting chucked off .. but i do recall some cowboys driving the things :rolleyes: not many mind, but a few.

Below is a picture of the JCB Hydra/digger with a 65 loadall, it was made in 1957 and was centre mounted

Attachments

• hydradigger.jpg
    hydradigger.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,196

pcsfd

I have a 580 that has a repaired boom on it. I have been told it is dangerous to use. It looks like a strong old repair and I was wondering what anyone's thoughts were on using a boom that has been welded?

biggixxerjim

I belive it did become that, when it was based on the massey 135, it had the square type mudguards ..the picture i have put up showed it with a 220 backhoe and 702 loader.. dont foget the backhoe was a Davis design.

It was quick if i remember rightly,but not as quick as the Case but i dont recall anyone getting chucked off .. but i do recall some cowboys driving the things :rolleyes: not many mind, but a few.

Below is a picture of the JCB Hydra/digger with a 65 loadall, it was made in 1957 and was centre mounted

please god someone stop!!! These pictures are getting more and more hideous!!!!!

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
please god someone stop!!! These pictures are getting more and more hideous!!!!!

Oh biggixxerjim behave yourself :drinkup ... i have some more for you

First picture is the cab interior of the 1964 JCB 3C, like the one in the original post.. the seat was only used for sitting on when traveling .. you stood up for operating the backhoe,well you could sit down after you have got up and moved the seat round, then you couldnt see much, so it was easier to stand.. the back of the cab lifted up so your head and shoulders could be above the cab top..great for seeing where you are digging..

2nd pic is of the 3C's smaller brother the JCB3, first seen life in 1962.. again you had to stand up to work the backhoe...

3rd pic is of a updated JCB3 ..this one you could sit down to work the backhoe, and they put a door in the side of the cab so you could get in the cab better, this pic was taken in 1965

Attachments

• aaa_151.jpg
    aaa_151.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,805
  • 0_JCB_a60_terna_2.jpg
    0_JCB_a60_terna_2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 947
  • jcb365.jpg
    jcb365.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums pcsfd! :drinkup

JDOFMEMI

I have a 580 that has a repaired boom on it. I have been told it is dangerous to use. It looks like a strong old repair and I was wondering what anyone's thoughts were on using a boom that has been welded?

Well, That depends on where the weld repair is at. Any pictures or description of it?

torker

Occupation
Welding/fab/machine shop owner

Yup...pictures would be good. I'm a certified weldor and have made a living for years repairing equipment. Booms get welded every day. In fact...they are welded to become booms..;)
Russ