• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who makes the best heavy haul truck? (Semi)

Drewster2016

I'm just curious to know makes the best heavy haul truck? Kenworth t880 Volvo vnx300. The colic would be an auto. Reason in asking is because a friend is starting a equipemnt hauling busines and wants to know. Thanks

Hanstrans

We bought a 2015 T800, opting out of the new T880, and they make a great heavy haul. Double frame, 18spd, 20000 front, 46000 rear, 550 hp ISX15, extended cab.

Drewster2016

My friend wants to get an automatic just so people that need to borrow the truck can drive it if they can't shift a manual.. Any reason you opted for tha 800 instead if the 880? Any pics of it?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
My friend wants to get an automatic just so people that need to borrow the truck can drive it if they can't shift a manual.. Any reason you opted for tha 800 instead if the 880? Any pics of it?

Sounds like a good reason to opt for a stick shift!

Drewster2016

Haha I'm not sure if he's gonna get one. He pretty much has his mind set on an auto.. But I told him to get a stick and to also look at the t800 as we'll as mentioned by someone above

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Stick or auto, never let anyone borrow your trucks or equipment.:cool:

I have been passively looking for a lowboy tractor and I want an auto. Since I will be lowboy driver, I don't want to shift gears - hate it in traffic. Just a need a truck to get equipment from A to B in the easiest way possible other than hiring it done.:D

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Stick or auto, never let anyone borrow your trucks or equipment.:cool:

I believe Snap=On guy had a tool box sign he handed out one time that said, "Don't ask to borrow my tools and I won't ask to borrow your wife":tong

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Aside from the obvious already stated, (never loan out a truck etc.) I would never have an auto. If I had my druthers, they would all still be 5x4s. An auto I believe, allows a bad driver to get worse. A manual requires drivers to think, plan ahead and keep their mind on the task. An auto in many (not all) circumstances allows anybody to just become a throttle masher. They do not have to think about the road as much, thus they do not plan ahead as much and can get into jackpots much quicker. Not thinking gets more folks into trouble than anything. If they have to work at driving, they tend to think more about driving…

:my2c:stirthepot

Last edited:

Hanstrans

I was on the fence about the looks of the 880 while my driver for the new truck hated it. We decided to stick with the tired and true. I'll try to get a pic posted.

Hanstrans

Couldn't figure out how to edit my last post.
Anyway, as I said, I was on the fence about the looks of the 880 while my driver for the new truck hated it. We decided to stick with the tired and true. I'll try to get a pic posted.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Jumbo you have a good point and I don't disagree. Truck driving school for however many weeks, CDL, auto trans and boom - you're a long haul truck driver. Doesn't guarantee a safer driver.

However, easier to operate doesn't necessarily equate to unsafe operation. Take for instance a track loader. I would much rather run my 953 than a 955A. At the end of the day I will be more productive, safety still remains in the matter resting on my shoulders - not how the machine operates.

Same with a truck. Personally I want a truck to get from point A to point B in the easiest, most efficient manner possible. For me that's an auto, owned several from single axles to tri-axles. It's a personal choice of course and whatever works best for you is what you should go for.

hmearth

"Don't ask to borrow my tools and I won't ask to borrow your wife":tong[/QUOTE]

I like that so true

Drewster2016

Jumbo you have a good point and I don't disagree. Truck driving school for however many weeks, CDL, auto trans and boom - you're a long haul truck driver. Doesn't guarantee a safer driver.

However, easier to operate doesn't necessarily equate to unsafe operation. Take for instance a track loader. I would much rather run my 953 than a 955A. At the end of the day I will be more productive, safety still remains in the matter resting on my shoulders - not how the machine operates.

Same with a truck. Personally I want a truck to get from point A to point B in the easiest, most efficient manner possible. For me that's an auto, owned several from single axles to tri-axles. It's a personal choice of course and whatever works best for you is what you should go for.

I'm agreeing. Id want an auto. It makes life easier to get from point a to point b. And easier to drive in general. If I was going across country i wouldn't wanna be shifting the whole time and traffic in manual sucks. I honestly don't think an auto is that Bad. I really like the Volvo ishifts

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
NICE! If I could charge $5000 a piece to mobilize the equipment that's what I would have.:D

td25c

For myself if I was building a heavy haul rig would probably go with the automatic transmission with a 3 speed hog box behind it . Rears would be in the 4.88 range . Engine , 400 cummins .

The auto transmission has stood the test of time now & works great for frequent stops & starts and off road applications . Concrete trucks in my area have used auto's for 25 years now . They pull in the jobsite around 72,000 lbs. Then maneuver around obstacles & less than better conditions many times .