• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who here owns or runs a limestone quarry? need help with start up

jms1387

If you own - run - or have valuable knowledge of running or starting a limestone quarry please let me know. we are an excavating company looking to start our own quarry however one can only do so much research. im to the point now where i need some hands on or hard knock knowledge to further prepare me for this venture.

Thanks in advance

jms1387

Basically we are structuring this on 100,000 tons annually with initial start up of 200,000 tons produced.we would like to be in the 400tph consistently range as we dont want to spend all our time playing in rock as we like moving dirt also. i would call ourselves a ma & pa type operation "family operation" we have priced everything out for initial start up cost. however i think we may be over kill on some things and under on others. where are some areas you would recommend not skimping. our setup now consists of a 5066 inertia impactor"refurbished" - 3 deck screen "refurb" - 3 deck refurb - 2 deck wash plant refurb - dozen or so conveyors "new" - 2 35ton trucks,not the wiggly ones - 2 wheel loader ( unsure of appropriate size ) and 2 hoes probably a 345 & 365/375 for overburden - we do already own some dozers and scrapers to assist in overburden removal. please feel free to punch any holes in this you may see or shed light on other options.

Coondog

Jms- my family and I are in the quarry business. We purchased and already operating pit. When we acquired the pit we had to take company, ppl, pit, machinery everything. Even though some of it was undesirable. Starting your own like you are talking about seems better to me bc then you get to pick and choose where you blow your money. There are some things that should be discovered before biting the bullet here, of course. Have you run any samples of this material through a lab? Knowing your LA abrasion and breaking PSI is quite important in selecting the type of crusher you install. I have only been doing this for about 7 years now, and I have never looked at another pit but mine. I am not familiar with inertia impactors(hsi?vsi?), but if there is much abrasion I have been told an impactor is a poor choice. Oly been told that, like I said unfamiliar with them. I have a 79% silica content and I am pretty close to one of the most abrasive pits around, also word of mouth, other peoples opinions. I have heard of some limestone that is quite abrasive, just saying. Another question is how do you plan to extract your ore? Is it diggable with a track hoe? If it is are the larger pieces that are extracted going to have to be broke with a hammer? Or do you need to blast? Blasting can be quite an expense, even owning your own drill and loading holes yourself. But it makes for Easy digging and If done correctly will do a decent job in pre sizing your material for you, to get to the latter part it takes a couple practice runs to see what is right for your pit. And bigger is better, as with most explosions. And another question is how do you power your plant? Municipal power or genset? I have much more of interest to discuss but not time now. I will check back later and offer more if interested.

jms1387

COONDOG- Yes we've done all the testing etc.... limestone is fairly soft compared to other limestone formations in northern and eastern part of the state. The inertia is a HSI 4 bar they claim 500 tph. Our plant will be a mix of gen set and onboard diesel power. Extraction will be drilling/blasting however the top 5 feet i believe we will be able to peel up with the hoe.

How are you guys loading crusher? dumping with trucks over a retaining wall?
are you conveying your products to your stockpiles or trucking them to piles?
how many products are you making in one shot without switching screens etc....
i assume your running a jaw and cone?

Turbo21835

Load and carry with a larger loader seems to be the normal plant feeding operation around here. That being said, im in sand or crushed concrete land. Any rock bigger than a pea has been shipped by train or lake freighter. Grandpa will probably tell you the only rocks I have are the ones in my head.

As far as your statement about the top 5 feet of material being able to be excavated, dont do it. I was doing a job in the Southwest corner of PA. We had a 65 ton excavator, a D8R with rippers, and a supervisor that thought he could move the world with those two machines. Long story short, he stripped the cover off the stone, and he removed all the loose rock he could. Then they called the blaster in. Without the weight of cover material to hold the shock wave in the rock, they were only able to crack the rock. If all that cover still had been there, they would be able to shatter most of that rock, and had a material that would have been usable, rather than boulders the size of a pickup truck. Consult with your blaster before you strip any material over than your top soil, it may save you a bunch of time with a hoe and breaker.

grandpa

Jms... I need a little more info,,,, you fail to list the size of your screen's other than the fact they are three and two decks . What ever you do don't undersize youre screens, its the most important part of any process and will slow you down quicker than anything else with a small rain shower coming by. Big screens are beautiful...:my2c

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
What products do you plan on making? Production rates will change dramatically with what you're making.

jms1387

Grandpa _ We have figured in 6x20s and a 5x16 for wash plant (stationary screens)

95_ I foresee curtains being set at 8 & 4 and we will close circuit for 4" plus
mainly will be making 1 1/2 minus - 1" clean - 3/4 clean - 3/8 - 1/2 - aglime there will be some other products but they will be short runs not really a production product

I realize we will need a secondary down the road but another 250k isnt in the cards until we figure out what we can really get rid of

Coondog

Jms- I am with turbo. Don't uncover you material before you shoot it. We usually leave a couple feet of shot material from last shot on top. We also double deck our shots, we are shooting a total depth of 25 feet, all paydirt, the double decking gives us more uniform breakage. Don't av to hit as hard.

Yes I am running a jaw and cone with a closed loop recycle circuit. All my equipment runs on municipal power. There are two different spreads at different elevations on the hillside. Upper spread is load and carry with a 980 loader. This is about a mile from load out so this is truck with a 773f, which I must say is a big improvement over earlier model. Fuel consumption alone will pay for itself in a year. Lower spread is fed with 2 769c's being loaded with a 375L. Finished material is conveyed about 2000 feet, being washed in between.

I prefer using the truck to haul to the crusher. The upper spread is very close to high wall though, so there is insufficient space for all that jazz. Once I am about 400 feet away from feeder then my figures tell me the price breaks and I start using a truck. But I have a very tall hill crush and I don't figure on that happening for several years now.

Coondog

On machinery, the 980 is considered the most common yard loader I ave heard. I have 5 of them, but recently purchased a 988g and it is far superior. As time and pocketbook permits I will be trading the 80's for 88's. I know this is all dependent on quarry size, but I will say that since we acquired the 88 I have not found a job yet that I prefer an 80 for. Plus, in my area anyways, the 88's seem to run lower in price for comparable year, hours, condition. Could be due to the fact they are harder to move. I have come very close to trading the better 80 of my bunch straight for an 88. Did not go through with it because someone else up and paid cash and eat e to the punch. My fault.

Also I am making three materials, smallest always take the longest, gotta crush it more. I am making two all the time, if I choose to make the third I simply slide a homemade radial stacker over a different screen. Works out well.

grandpa

My plants are all portable, I feed with a 980 into a primary, then into a closed circuit cone plant,,, at the cone I pull 1" to 3/4" inch out the side of the cone plant. This method gives me a nice crushed 3/4" minus product with a high % of crush material in the minus,,, I use stackers to stockpile.... but again Im in glacial till hard (damn hard) rock. grampa.

axelfue

On machinery, the 980 is considered the most common yard loader I ave heard. I have 5 of them, but recently purchased a 988g and it is far superior. As time and pocketbook permits I will be trading the 80's for 88's. I know this is all dependent on quarry size, but I will say that since we acquired the 88 I have not found a job yet that I prefer an 80 for. Plus, in my area anyways, the 88's seem to run lower in price for comparable year, hours, condition. Could be due to the fact they are harder to move. I have come very close to trading the better 80 of my bunch straight for an 88. Did not go through with it because someone else up and paid cash and eat e to the punch. My fault.

Also I am making three materials, smallest always take the longest, gotta crush it more. I am making two all the time, if I choose to make the third I simply slide a homemade radial stacker over a different screen. Works out well.

Just for my understanding. You have 3 dumpers, one 773 and two 769 and you want to buy more than one 988 to load them, addidtional to a 375 L? Isnt that a little overpowered? One 988 should be able to load all that dumpers. How is the fuel consumption of your 980s compared to the 988?

Coondog

Axel, if you read that the post above my last one you would notice there are two different spreads, that are close to a mile apart. The 88 consumes about 10% less fuel than the 80's do, but I'm sure if I drive the 88 two miles every time I need to load a truck that would change. These dumpers are being loaded in different locations so logistically I need the 88 and the hoe. But yes, I do have 5 other 80's running everyday. Each has it's own job. Sometimes I end up not using one some days, but then I have an extra. And this helps out on scheduled maintenance. My comments about the 80 vs the 88 was that the 88 does every job better than the 80. I don't have any tight spots so clearance is not a problem. Reach height is better on the 88. So far uses less fuel and gets the job done in half the time. So yeah, I am in the market for another 88, specifically trading the 80's out. Might keep one 80 for easy mobility off site if necessary. The point I was making to JMS was that we figured the 80's would be plenty when we started and now we have grown and 80's don't quite cut it.

axelfue

Im sorry if I got you wrong. English isn't my native language, so it's sometimes a little hard for me to understand everything. We just tested a 988 H against a 980 K loading two Komatsu HD 405 and have a totally different experience with the fuel consumption. The 988 needed by far more fuel than the 980 K. That's why I was wondering. But it's different in every situation I think.
But for 400 tph a 980 should be too small anyway.

Coondog

An 80 k would have an updated fuel system would it not? I would assume it to use less fuel. I am comparing 80 g to 88g. Basically same era, 88 is newer year than 80. I actually have one 80g that uses about a tank and a half a shift, there are no restrictions in air intake or exhaust, fuel timing is correct. This machine has an aftermarket fuel additive hooked up to it. We have not used it since we bought the machine. I would use that as the culprit for high fuel usage, but on the bright side it has noticeably more power than the others. I goes good, digs good, just fast and powerful compared to others.

axelfue

Yes it has an updated fuel system. But as it has to reach Tier 4 interim that hasnt always to be good. And I'm not talking about 10 or 20 % more of the 988 in our test. It was more like at least 50 % more. But one and a half tank per shift sounds really bad. We used less than one tank on a 12 hrs shift on our 980 Gs.

Coondog

Jms, back to you, there are a lot of companies that make stackable conveyors in differing lengths. I own some from ascgo and superior industries. The ascgo stackables are ok I guess, but I really like the superior ones. We have bought about ten of them since we started, they ave held pretty steady at just over 10k for price. These are stackables, not stacking conveyors. They don have any legs or anything like that. We just figure where we want them and build our own legs. 6 inch channel iron works good. Put one leg on each side and weld them to a floor plate then put an x in it to stabilize. I have high winds in my area and I have had a couple that are really perched up there blow over. One of which had the rear end stuck up under the frame of a screen. The rear held true and the top laid over, giving the whole belt a definite 90 degree twist. Happened sometime in the night so it stayed that way for a bit. We simply stood it back up and secured it to another frame on the top end to keep it from happening again. No damage resulted. The only thing I don't like about them is the power transmission. They tend to use Browning straight bore boxes, and I don't think they are big enough. Plus I'm a baldor dodge fan myself. More opinions if you wantthem.

alco

Coondog, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd love to hear more of anything you would care to share. I have always been interested in quarrying, but have never spent time around the industry at all.

Do you have any pictures of your operation you could share?

jms1387

Going to visit a few quarries towards the end of the week! hopefully ill gather some more information. the bad part is all the information being given is a salesman's stand point however this one is pushing me towards a cedar rapids 4338 with a super 72 screen/hammer mill etc..... a lot older machine than we were looking at but 100% rebuilt and to back its reputation and performance up he has set up a day to watch the same exact spread run in another limestone quarry. anyone have experience with these machines i cant seem to find any for sale online or reviews etc..... i figure if there is none for sale they either were a flop and had a minimal production run of them or they are outstanding and people dont want to get rid of them.

Coondog_ I had priced out building our own stackables as we are pretty crafty. however i cannot find a good price on components and the pricing i got was roughly 10k to make 30"wide 40ft long transfer conveyors. i cant build them as cheap as you can buy them is what ive found. I need to find another quarry looking to update and pick up some goodies.