• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who has hit a cab or light with bucket?

Have you ever his a cab or light with the bucket

• Total voters

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I've never hit any part of the machine with the bucket, partly because the machine is setup right so that it can't happen:pointhead

But I have pulled a few small tree onto the cab. Can I blame that on the buckets fault?:D

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
only thing i have ever done was snag the track with a tooth before...no big deal...but Volvos can't hit the cab

jlm335

Banned
Occupation
student/part owner of Ernie Mankins & Sons Constru
Never hit the cab, but I've caught a tooth on the blade of the mini ex, samething with the track..

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
only thing i have ever done was snag the track with a tooth before...no big deal...but Volvos can't hit the cab

yeah I do that too, with the 36" pad and most the time they are under the mud and hard to see. That corner tooth can snag the crap out of the track in a heart beat. Usually happens when your not really paying the most attention bailing dirt.

rwatkins

Ran a kobelco with a thumb on it that was able to hit the cab. It was a rental when we needed a second machine and some one had the metal all beat in and the weather stripping around the front and right side window leaked in the rain. My worst exc booboo was carring a 75+ ft long debranched tree and it snagged a root ball of a smaller tree and flung it right into the side of the cab. It bent the vertical handrail on the front of the 160 deere but thats all. Scared me for a second cause i never saw a tree coming at me so fast ever befor.

JDOFMEMI

I haven't hit the cab, but have come close many times.
Remember, the machine as it is specced out by the manufacturer should not hit, but adding aftermarket items makes it a possibility.

I learned on a PC-650 that had a 6.5CY bucket only 48" wide. It was taaaaall and deeeeep. It would come over a foot into the cab if you did not stop. Made you really pay attention. Also adding a coupler will sometimes cause interference, and a coupler with a high capacity bucket is really bad for clearance.
I seen a guy with a thumb on a PC-300 and the thumb would hit the boom if it was in the stored position and you crowded the stick all the way in. He did it so many times that the boom bottom plate was pushed in about 6" and the sides started to curve inward because of the bend in the bottom. I bet that boom did not last long.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Haven't hit anything yet, most of the hoes I've run weren't able to. Most of the Cat hoes I ran had wedge lock couplers, so even though the coupler was there, the bucket was more or less in the same position relative to its pin as it would be without the coupler, never had a problem hitting a cab. I actually tried it out one day to make sure in my dad's 312, there was no way to hit it.

I ran a couple PC400's with Esco pin grabbers and 72" buckets. The buckets weren't terribly deep, but had a decent heel and were tipped with twin tigers. Came close with a fresh set of teeth, but I found out through observation in my off time that it I couldn't munch the cab.

I saw a Hitachi ZX450 once that had a nice cab guard on it and a PSM pin grabber. Took a look in the cab and there was a big sticker that said "Warning! Bucket will hit cab guard!" pasted on the cab glass right above the guage display unit. Didn't see any mangled steel on the cab guard, gotta assume the sticker did it's job. :drinkup

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
In my first days of runnin bigger machines (ie a 330), I tapped the trackes once or twice when I was still getting adjusted to the machine, etc. I think the closest I've ever come to hitting the cab was one time when a rock rolled off the bucket as I was curling and lifting out of the ground and it rolled down and tapped the bottom of the cab. Felt pretty stupid for that. I have to agree that a lot of it is just paying attention to what you're doing... but sometimes fluke things can happen:beatsme

Clayton M

I've hit the tracks on the Hitachi's a few times. Partly because our company modifies the teeth and the buckets. No Harm Done to the machine.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Yep, have hit the tracks with the corner tooth a few times for sure. Attachments like a Kent hammer, you better be carefull when wrapping it under the boom.Cat rubber tired machines I believe have a resting post at the bottom of the crescent boom to place a hammer point as to not let it drag on the ground when traveling I presume.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
wow! i am in the presense of greatness. i have had a few boo-boo's. it happens.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
came close with a long reach a while ago.

Stock

danhoe

Ran a Drott 50 for 1.5 years the bucket would hit the cab, but I never had, that is the difference between running a machine and operating a machine. Danhoe

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i played around on a john deere excavator simulator today at the local 150 training center. i tried to hit the cab, but couldn't. so i hit the adt cab.
game over!

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i know for a fact that wurmkiller has bonked his 225 and 320 cabs.lololol

B1G DIG

well with the offset boom or spastic arm u can get the bucket in front of u and get a big scratch on ur head it will hurt :(