• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who Backdrags?

Savage

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I think there is times when back dragging is needed and times when it is not. When i'm finishing up on the job site i'm on now. I back drag before I leave one area to another.

New guy here and love this site
Other people just don't understand

caterpillarRy

well my grandfather has been running dozers for the past 58 years and is an expert on a dozer and you really cant grade too well forwards with a cable job cause of the way the blade is but i guess its possible and yeah he backdrags quite a bit

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . caterpillarRy.

you really can't grade too well forwards with a cable job

Mate that is one of the old wives tales that has cropped up since the the string went out . . . and it is completely wrong.

There is nothing wrong with a cable blade blade to grade with, in some ways they are better than hydraulic, especialy for clearing fence-lines and tracks . . . very fast lift.

Cheers.

D&GExcavating

I only back drag when I'm finish grading. Sometimes I just have those off days when I can't seem to carry grade, and back dragging helps. I don't see anything wrong with it.

caterpillarRy

think for a second because of the shape of the blade it will drag the blade down if your going forwards and have a little slack but in anycase cabel isnt bad ive got 2 cabel d7s so i know that they arent bad machines

vapor300

You will Never see me back drag unless im slicking up a mud hole, or pulling a my windrow out of the bottom of a ditch. If you cant make it look good going forward, let someone else run the machine that can.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
vapor300,

Funny you say that, although not hoping for an argument but I was taught that a blade only cuts while moving forward however, in 26 years of operating I have found that back dragging, back blading etc. is just another technique an Operator has that helps him or her get the job done. If you're grading a golf course or performing land shaping you had better master back dragging because leaving track marks or windrows no matter how slight or small will get you fired fairly quickly.

You will Never see me back drag unless im slicking up a mud hole, or pulling a my windrow out of the bottom of a ditch. If you cant make it look good going forward, let someone else run the machine that can.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
If you're grading a golf course or performing land shaping you had better master back dragging because leaving track marks or windrows no matter how slight or small will get you fired fairly quickly.

co-sign

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
I should add to my original reply that a dozer Operator that can sculpt a golf course is more artist that anything else knowing it has to be PERFECT! It's no wonder they seem to be the highest paid dozer Operators around.
vapor300,

If you're grading a golf course or performing land shaping you had better master back dragging because leaving track marks or windrows no matter how slight or small will get you fired fairly quickly.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Backblading was always seen as the unskilled operators method of trying to smooth out washboard, that he'd made, trying to level going forwards.
Anytime I did back-blading when I was being taught at age 16, I'd get hollered at, and told not to do it - it was the sign of an incompetent operator.

Then there's the likely damage caused to cutting edge nuts and bolt threads when you hit something such as a rock when dragging the blade backwards in float. A badly worn cutting edge is most susceptible to this problem.
That's damage guaranteed to make you curse, if you're the one who has to change the edge when it's worn out. Secondly, there's the chance of damage to a new cutting edge if you hit a rock whilst back-blading.
The cutting edge has support when travelling forward, it has no support when travelling backwards.

In the old days before better quality cutting edges such as the boron alloy steel we have today, it wasn't unusual for you to be able to break a chunk out of the cutting edge if you whacked a rock whilst back-blading, particularly if you were travelling in 2nd or 3rd reverse. :(

Having said all that, it is necessary to do back-blading occasionally, when you need a totally smooth surface, not chopped up by grousers. It just pays to ensure that there's no rocks in the surface you're back-blading.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
:)

co sign , me too

ME THREE!!!! I can't believe this thread has lasted 150 or so posts.99.9999999% of my dozing jobs demand a back blade glass finish.Maybe antique dozers would break some hardware running reverse back blading,but certainly NOT any modern dozer in this day and age.If some old timer here[I'm one myself] can tell me how to erase my tracks while going forward I'm all ears.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Then there's the likely damage caused to cutting edge nuts and bolt threads when you hit something such as a rock when dragging the blade backwards in float.
The cutting edge has support when travelling forward, it has no support when travelling backwards.
You know you don't have to put the blade in float to backdrag, don't you? I often don't put it in float. You can grade going backward like you can going forward.

LDK

You know you don't have to put the blade in float to backdrag, don't you? I often don't put it in float. You can grade going backward like you can going forward.

Buckethead, I was waiting for someone to bring that up. I do back blade but I very rarely do so in float.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
As for a float back blade, now that I would say is for an amatuer. You have to have the same control over the blade, forward or reverse...IMHO!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Yes, I do know you don't have to use float for back-blading. However, using the hydraulics whilst back-blading makes the dirt build up behind the blade, and then it gets picked up by the tracks and hurled up and back, obscuring your vision.
You know what most people think, when they see someone holding or using a tool backwards, don't you! :D LOL

vapor300

back draging a mound or something on a gold course is tottally different and like i said sometimes it has to be done. but i have see operators back drag a road because the could blade it off smooth goin forward, that i think is a rookie

locomoconomo

Occupation
Equipment Operator for a Municipal Water Works
vapor300,

Funny you say that, although not hoping for an argument but I was taught that a blade only cuts while moving forward however, in 26 years of operating I have found that back dragging, back blading etc. is just another technique an Operator has that helps him or her get the job done. If you're grading a golf course or performing land shaping you had better master back dragging because leaving track marks or windrows no matter how slight or small will get you fired fairly quickly.

Not being a dozer hand, yet, I really don't have a dog in this fight but since Sea Mac brought up golf course shapers I'm inclined to repeat a quote from a man I knew in Fitzgerald Georgia named Bruce who worked as a dozer hand for the local rich mans excavation outfit. He took frequent leaves of absence from his regular job to shape golf courses for Arnold Palmer. He was a joy to watch on any piece of equipment he got on because he was just that good. He was dozing a pad for a warehouse addition one day and I asked him why he moved dirt coming and going and he said "if the tractor is moving and the dirt ain't you are wasting time, fuel and my patience". He winked when he said it and I always knew him to be easy going, so I'm sure he wasn't trying to be a hard a$$. I backdrag with everything else so I fully intend to backdrag with a dozer as I learn. If the man mentoring me prefers I not backdrag, then I will honor his wishes and use his equipment in the manner he so desires. When it is up to my discretion, I will employ it where and when it is the best technique to achieve the desired results.