• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

white lift update

dsweld

my lift runs good with gas only carb.i just flushed out the block that was an adventure lots of rust came out.now the only problem is the counter wieght is real close to the ground any one ever cut one if so how torch,demo saw,dynamite??i noticed hydraulic cylinders in the rear that act as spindles is this just for power steering or do they lift the rear up??thanks for the help :cool2

BillG

Those are called hydralizers, there is a cross tube that connects the two together. Imagine when you drive over an obstacle with one steer tire. Rather than the whole truck raising, the oil from the obstacle side flows across to the other side, equalizing the force on both sides. As one tire goes up the other is forced down, like a steer axle would do except without the steer axle.Check the cross tube for leaks first then jack the rear wheels off the ground and see how loose the ram is within the body, if it is loose the oil probably leaked out long ago. It is probably prohibitively expensive to rebuild one today. Remove one of the plugs from one side(outside top) and insert a grease fitting, pump both sides full of a good heavy grease, use the opposite side plug to relieve trapped air. Keep an eye on it from time to time and replace grease as necessary. It originally had heavy lube oil in it like 90w gear lube.
Also don't pump them completely full otherwise you will loose the cushion effect. Raise it to the height you want and pump them to that point.

Last edited:

dsweld

so this will raise the rearend up more and how much stroke does the ram have 4 5 inches?? the grease will definatly help with the driveway situation thanks billg

BillG

I don't know your specific model so I can't say for sure. Keep the truck fairly level is a good start, raising it any more than that doesn't help anything and will be harder on the hydralizers. Raising it to compensate for steer tire wear only causes more wear as the cushion provided by the tires is lessened.

dsweld

i will try the grease tomorrow thanks for the info.hopefully it will raise it at least 3 inches the cushon doesnt bother me because it mite be used once a month.my driveway is not great so the weight draggin on the ground cant help any.thanks again