• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

which would you rather have. Cat 941 or Fiat-Allis FL-14

mopar65

Occupation
WG-10 power suport mechanic, work for the us gover
Well i might have the chance to trade my cat 941 trackloader for a Fiat-Allis FL-14. I know nothing about the Fiat track loaders so i thought i would ask you guys what you thought.I have put a lot of money and time in my cat track loader, but i am at the point that i am going to have to put tracks on mine. the pins,bushings, pads are pretty much worn out on mine. Other than that its a pretty nice loader for its age. OK the FL-14 tracks, undercarriage are in very good shape as is the rest of the loader. Ok here is the part that worries me. for some reason the FL-14 had a electrical fire that burnt up the dash, the rubber fuel lines on the engine and burnt the paint off the top of the radiator and because of that the loader has not been started in over 2 years.ok my questions are how hard is it to get parts for them and if i can get it running again and every thing still works do you think it would be worth trading my cat for it?? sorry dont have any pics of the FL-14 yet. thanks Mopar65

Caterpillar941b

Occupation
Logger
caterpillar 941b dude fiats are not that common in the states and Canada. the cat will be easier to get parts for. the u/c should be around five grand for the cat or at least that's what they are worth up here.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Go with the 941 the parts will be much easier to get to keep the machine running

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
@mopar65, hey there, just to throw in my 2 cents worth, it sounds like the parts you would need to get it up and running, would not be hard to find at all, i.e. rubber fuel line, gauges, maybe switches, gaskets, etc., as from the way it sounds, that is really all that got burnt in the fire. Also, you can get parts for these Fiats, I did a LOT of checking before I bought my 14C, and there are parts houses, here in the States, that can supply them. Granted they are not "as easy" to come by as Cat parts, but they are also not "impossible" to get either. If you wouldn't mind, would you please keep me appraised of the situation, if you don't get the FL 14 would there be a possibility of purchasing it myself??? I'm thinking of getting a track loader, and if I can get it for the right price I wouldn't mind having it to go with my 14C. Thank you, and best of luck to you, I just hope what ever you choose, that it proves to be the best choice for you in the end! By the way, where the heck is Laquey, I've never heard of that town??? Just curious, take care and best wishes!

mopar65

Occupation
Thanks every one for the info. JDDozerman I live in Pulaski county MO and live by work on Fort Leonard wood Missouri. A guy i work with knows al lot about the FL-14 that is for sell. he is so posed to get me pics of it.The track loader is in licking MO. I am going to call the guy tomarrow and see what he says about mine and if he says no on the trade i will get the number for you. thanks Bobby

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I get pieces for my old Allis from Minnpar out of Minnesota, but they are thinning out pretty quick as not many aftermarket companies making replacement pieces and Fiat/CNH/Allis is no longer making parts. Biggest issue is rails, for Fiat Allis and Dresser/Dressta (IE International) the rails problem is a real pain in the rump. I have a 7G allis, I wish it were a 955 most times I work on it. There is a guy in Salem, Mike Smith on south Hwy 19, always has some kind of machine for sale, was big on F/A machines for awhile buying them from the state to resell, he used to have a access link to parts but I don't have his number anymore.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Personally there is no way I would trade a 941 that you know a lot about for another machine that is/was burnt. A burned machine can have a multitude of problems not readily foreseeable. As a rule I stay away from any machine that is or has been burnt.

The re-sale value will always be better on the Cat than the Fiat. Fiat trackloaders around my area are scarce but they're a few. My advice would be to shop around for an undercarriage an keep the 941.:cool2

mopar65

Occupation
well first wanted to say thanks to every one on all the great advice. well after going back and forth on what to do i have decided to just keep my 941 for now. Thanks again Bobby.

mopar65

Occupation
sorry its taken me so long to get back on here.I have been sick, trying to find out my my blood pressure goes way just from walking around. nkh111 i have thought about selling my 941 but i have a lot of work i still need to do with it. pluse you probly would not like what i would have to sell it for. But wear do you live? you are wlecome to come out and look at it if you want.I still have not got around to putting trans fluid in it. been to cold and sick to mess with it right now.Thanks Bobby