• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which tractor makers are the top 5

Jerry T

Just curious about what you think the top 5 Tractor makers are. No statistics. No science. Just what you think. Your impression. You perception.

These 5 came to my mind: John Deere, Kubota, Mahindra, Case, New Holland.

LDK

In quality, performance or numbers built?

Jerry T

Any measurements that matter to YOU. No need hard statistics. Just your impression and what comes to your mind.

hvy 1ton

I can only come up with 5 large tractor producers AGCO, Claas, CNH, Deere, and Kubota. Just for fun the top 5 most produced NA tractor models:
Ford 8n ~524,000
Farmall H 391,227
Deere B 357,456
Deere 4020 184,879
Farmall M 270,140

LDK

In no particular order....
Fendt
John Deere
Case
Massey Fergeson
Claas

mitch504

I'd have to go w/ hvy 1 ton. So many brand names have consolidated under those umbrellas. I work on a lot of Case/Internationals and New Hollands (ex-Fords) and there are only superficial differences, as they are both CNH products. Fendt and Massey Ferguson are both AGCO products, as are many other old time names.
Farmall has always been a name used by International Harvester and later Case International (CNH)

Last edited:

rodcap

Occupation
Retired Ag. & Heavy Eqip. Tech.
My lineup in order of reliability(Large Frame Farm Tractors):

IMHO :D

John Deere
International Harvester(pre Case/IH)
Massey Ferguson
Ford(pre NH)
Case(pre Case/IH)

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
I can only come up with 5 large tractor producers AGCO, Claas, CNH, Deere, and Kubota. Just for fun the top 5 most produced NA tractor models:
Ford 8n ~524,000
Farmall H 391,227
Deere B 357,456
Deere 4020 184,879
Farmall M 270,140
I figured there to be alot more old 4020's around than that. Seems like everyone and their brother has one.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I figured there to be alot more old 4020's around than that. Seems like everyone and their brother has one.

Probably because they are so darn good from the get-go, if one ever breaks, the owner is motivated to fix it.

We talk about simple, reliable, efficient, these were it with the features you really needed, power steering and powershift without a bunch of junk to break.

hvy 1ton

Probably because they are so darn good from the get-go, if one ever breaks, the owner is motivated to fix it.

We talk about simple, reliable, efficient, these were it with the features you really needed, power steering and powershift without a bunch of junk to break.

I don't have numbers on how many of each were built, but it seems like half the 4020's i see for sale are synchro. Maybe people with a PS are holding on to them. Dad had powershift 4020 and 4040 until i was 8 or so. He decided he didn't like round baling in open station tractors anymore. Traded them on 4440 and 2755. 4440 was a great tractor, but it was looong. There are 3 patched poles in the hay barn from whacking them with the loader while stacking round bales with it.