• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

which spectra laser?

bombi275

I have been thinking of getting a laser for house pads, footings, driveways and the like. I was thinking about the GL422, as I just as well get the dual grade while I am at it, but now am curious about the new UL633 or GL622 as well. I would like the cr600 receiver to use on my excavator as well as the hl700 for grade checks. I have never used a laser before and would appreciate any help I could get as far which one would be better for me. Thanks for any recommendations.

Randy88

It gets down to how much do you want to spend and how much are your using it, I have two lasers, always have had two, a cheaper one, and another high end laser, to be honest I like the cheaper one better, a GL422 dual slope laser is about the handiest I have found, it does it all and has its own remote too, which is really nice once you have had one, saves a lot of time chasing and changing grades on layout work and figuring estimates, but most important, is the weight of the laser. If I have to lug one around all day long constantly resetting it, I'll take the light weight one any day, also works on a lighter tripod and which is nice to save having to drag out the heavy larger tripod all the time. My high end dual slope is the GL722 I think, which is an excellent laser for when I'm running a machine control and need something that wind doesn't bother as much, which brings about the discussion of tripods, heights and uses you'll have for one.

As for receivers, I've had many, for machines I use bullseye's and for hand work, the small receivers that come with the laser setups, the hand lasers, don't ask me to quote numbers on them, but the one that came with my new 422 is really nice, it shows how many inches above or below grade you are by looking at it, its in digital readout, is great, my crew just loves it, saves having to mess with the grade rod to lower and raise it constantly to tell how many inches your off grade, the receiver does it at a glance, far better than the cr600 that came with my last two lasers, an older single grade and my 722.

It gets down to who fixes them for you, and what features your wanting in a laser and receiver and how in debth you want for machine controls or plan to go for them in the future. I'm not sure if I helped you or not, I'm not the tecky type, just have personal preferences of what I like and why, the single best thing you can do if your not used to using a laser is to either beg, borrow, rent, steal or get a demo of several different lasers and receivers before buying one is my advice, then go from there.

bombi275

Randy, thanks so much for your help. What you said makes a lot of sense, the gl422 is probably way more than I need for a while anyway until I can learn what all application it will have for me. I would hate to spend more than I need to to have a bunch of features I don't understand and will probably never use. I imagine even a cheaper unit would be a lot nicer to use than my old Berger sight level, so anyway I look at it, I'm upgrading. I appreciate the time you took to give such a thorough understanding of each aspect of the setups you use. Thanks again, Jeremy.

Randy88

If there's any specific questions you have I can answer, just ask, I'll do my best to answer them, by the way the 422 has shutters on it, so the directions you don't need to have the laser shoot to, you can shut the shutter so the laser doens't flash anyone in those directions, a feature I never knew was in it, till my kids figured it out to use that, guess I was told it but never paid attention to it, I use the laser, those that didn't were tired of it flashing them and they grab the remote and shut those sides off, another feature that everyone likes I guess.

rossaroni

I use a Spectra CR600 receiver on my mini. It is small, but versatile, as I can mount it to a grade rod as well. I think I paid about 300 for it new on ebay. Money well spent. I use it with a Spectra single grade laser for pads, patio prep, and trenching. Just the time saved over the last two years of not having to jump off the machine and check grade makes it worth it to me. Start simple, and work up. I've never really needed more than what this setup offers.

hmearth

Have you looked at the lieca depending on how far you need to go and what sort of receivers you need to run I find a civil laser is a good basic but an ag laser makes the distance to run the receiver propley

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I just bought a Spectra 633 it appears to do everything and is a dual slope, pipe laser with dial a grade. We have not used it yet but will soon. Price was just under 3k for everything. Just like anything new we will have to learn how to use it now.

Chad@SitechTR

The UL633 is a great laser for a contractor that does some pipe work that may not need a dedicated pipe laser. The GL622 is the best dual slope for the money in my opinion, and the 633 is just an extension of the 622.