• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

which grader for west africa

falayk05

The reason I recommended the 12G was the lack of a turbo charger, a turbo adds complication to the engine, with a turbo it is more important to do maintenance, such as cleaning the air filter and having good fresh oil in the engine. Also the turbo needs to be cooled down and warmed up. Really depends on the situation, if the outfit has good maintenance and operator personnel then a turbo would be no drama. However if the operators are average (as in stalling the machine three times a day, not checking air filters) and maintenance happens when the machine returns to base (220 hours overdue), then a turbo could be a liability.
You can have the worlds biggest grader but if it is broken down a 120 will outperform it.
I understand, i only have a deal on the 130g with ripper so i was wondering if i should get it i tried to research on my own some info about the 130g but in vain i still dont know if the 130g can work on a heavy project

Hendrik

I understand, i only have a deal on the 130g with ripper so i was wondering if i should get it i tried to research on my own some info about the 130g but in vain i still dont know if the 130g can work on a heavy project
http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Caterpillar_130G_Motor_Grader
According to that the 130G has a 3304 turbo motor, which is the same engine as the 120G only stressed a bit more.
Unless you are getting a really good deal on the 130G and have good operators that can work the machine, I would still be looking for a six cylinder grader.

Terry140

Occupation
Grader owner/operator
I own and operate a 130G and have also operated 120G's,12G's and 140G's.I've had my 130G just over two years.It has rear rippers and front pushblock and weighs in at 15,500 kg.I use it for road construction,maintenance,farm driveways,fence lines and fire breaks.It's been good as my first machine as an owner operator..My only real complaint is that it's a little light on the front end and the 3304 does lack that low end grunt the 12G and 140G have with the 3306,but the grader does everything I ask of it.My Dad has a 2012 John Deere 670G and we worked together for a week just before Christmas doing maintenance grading..The 130G is 28 years old and has about 15,000 hours on the clock and suprised us both as she held it's own and kept up with the 670G.

I brought the 130G as it was what was available at the time.If I had the choice between a 140G and 130G now yeah I'd go 140G but I certainly wouldn't dismiss the 130G.

Terry

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

This thread is already a month old or so. But I did run a 130G, 12g, and 140G. Of course the 140G is the cadillac of the three machines. Randy already told you the difference between the 12G and 140G and hit it on the nose. The 130G is on the same frame as those two as well. It Does have a turbo 4 cylinder motor. As Terry said, I would not dismiss the machine. It does a pretty good job. I went from a 140G in Colorado 5,000 feet in elevation to the 130G at 1,000 feet in elevation. It was not as nice as the 140 by no means but powerwise it was not as bad as I thought it would be. It did ditch cutting and blue topping just fine. At lower elevations I think this machine did fine. I did notice a lot of difference roading the machine. If you are wanting to plow snow in 5th gear, I think you will be doing lots of shifting gears. The 140G works a lot better in higher gears. If you are working in very tough dirt or rocky dirt I think I would want the bigger of the three as well.

Of course if I was Randy, I'd operate that 16M of his hahaha.. "Hi Randy!"