• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which Dozer with which options?

Nicker

Hi all:
I have 100 acres which needs a motocross track. I would like to keep the terain as natural as possible so moving a whole lot of dirt is not necessary.

The property is rolling hills to Super steep to straight down.:eek:
I have many small tress (less than 2 inches thick).
The ground is rocky and hard clay.

What size dozer do you recommend? I have 3 hours on a bucket loader that was pedal steer and a pain to drive.

Should I go with a 6 way blade and a ripper? What tracks do you recommend?

Thanks, Nick.

Last edited:

dig dug

that sounds like an excellent way to use a hundred acres. i've built a few motocross tracks myself. if your gonna work in the dirt you gotta play in the dirt too.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
The dozer in this thread would be perfect, as it was designed to make trails.....although its a bit on the expensive side.

Sweco Trail Dozer

pwrstroke6john

I have used my D3 to make a track before. If you have rocky soil which isnt a problem up here a ripper would help. If i could buy a new dozer I'd buy a D5, Komatsu D39 size machine. 20000 lbs is the magic number for my self.

Countryboy

Occupation
Oh and Welcome to HEF Nicker! :drinkup

Nicker

Thanks all, Great site and good links to real solutions. What more can anyone ask.

I have to admit the Chinese versions are tempting because of price, but if it doesn't hold up then where is the bargin in that.

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
Holy crap 100 acres to work with!!!!!! I built my current track on 3 acres.
Its nice but what I could have done with your space.Get as big a dozer as you can afford. I helped with the track maintenance in fort mcmurray and with a unending choice in equipment I found that bigger was better.
A 6 way blade is desirable but not neccessary and you dont have to get brand new unless you are planning to do this for a living.A decent older piece of equipment will do the job .Besides it feels better to do the job sitting at the controls of the BIG units.Its a shame that we live thousands of miles apart as I love working on motocross tracks.So much so that I went out and bought myself a International TD9 to work on my own track.
Relying on a friend to show up with his dozer was driving me nuts.
I told the wife it was for yard maintenance.
GOOD LUCK:cool2 :cool2 :cool2 :cool2

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to HEF egoman! :drinkup

Nicker

I am planning on buying used because this land will be the only place I'll use the equipment and there seems to be allot for sale in my area.

I might also consider a bucket loader but I'm really a newbie here.

What does 50% Undercarrage mean? That the sprocket and track are worn 50%?

Is the LPG thrack the right one for a Motocross track? What does LGP stand for?

Are "turned pins" on the track and mean turned in a lathe?

Can I get by with a 4 way blade?

Soooo many questions. Like I said I'm a newbie........Thanks

pwrstroke6john

For building a track LGP is not needed. LGP stands for Low Ground Pressure, with this package you get wider tracks and a wider blade. You could get by with just a 4way blade as long as its up down and side to side.but a 6way would be helpful and time saving for building berms and and maintainance.