• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which brand of skidsteers or most DYI friendly

TorontoGuy

From my research I notice all Bobcats components are easily accessible
Also saw a lot of praise of Deere models

What about Cat Kubota and Takeuchi

Or any other mentions like Case Asv and New Holland

MG84

Only thing I have that new is my SVL65-2 Kubota, only have had to do maintenance on it so far but it is easy to work on. Kubota is still hydraulic pilot controls vs electric over hydraulic on most other machines.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I would say just two things. If you are going to buy one with air conditioning, do not buy the Kubota. Their A/C system is horrible when it comes to cleaning . Number two: If you are buying a machine with DEF system, do not buy a Kubota. Unless it is improved, their DEF systems were very troublesome, at least a few years ago they were. I have to admit though, I have been retired for almost 4 years, so maybe they have their problems sorted out.

Tyler d4c

I would say just two things. If you are going to buy one with air conditioning, do not buy the Kubota. Their A/C system is horrible when it comes to cleaning . Number two: If you are buying a machine with DEF system, do not buy a Kubota. Unless it is improved, their DEF systems were very troublesome, at least a few years ago they were. I have to admit though, I have been retired for almost 4 years, so maybe they have their problems sorted out.
From what I've been hearing as of lately its seems they have that worked out the dealer was out and did a update on the 90 that where I work My day job owns. Haven't had a trouble with it but it isn't used much

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Stay under 75 HP and keep away from machines that require DEF.

We have 2-279D's and they have been great machines one has close to 3K hours, both bought new. 74 HP so no DEF. Other than normal service, an alternator and a battery here and there they've been good machines.

One has the auto reverse fan which is a nice feature, will not have another CTL without it. The oil filter is in a PITA spot that is messy to change but everything else is fairly accessible for a CTL.

Now I made up new cuss words and had one to many violent thoughts towards design engineers working on the 1990 thru 2008 model Bobcats..

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Well if you don't need the extra power, it is best to stay clear of DEF regardless of what color. If your not going to use the power, no sense having a that extra equipment and hassle. That said, I recently had my first DEF issue on a 2018 CASE SV340. CASE had a program on the issue and replaced the DEF module for free. I have had 5 DEF machines and that is the first issue I have seen. If BC or Deere have issues with DEF, I have never heard about. Kubota and anyone that uses their motor is another story. Note that some under 75 horse machines still have a DPF even though they are not SCR (Kubota). Others don't have a DPF and are able to meet emissions without having a DPF (CNH and BC, perhaps others).

I am not sure what advantage one brand really has over the other when it comes to working on them (Tier 4 models). There is a lot going on in a small area, so working on them is never fun. They are all computer controlled so some guy with a laptop is required at times. The best advancement I have seen lately is the ability to have the dealer download codes from the machine remotely. Similar to what Onstar can do. They can also download upgrades from the factory remotely. That is a nice feature.

Some are EH controlled and some Pilot. Pilots have less electronics, but your also limited on what you can do with them. EH you can change patterns by pushing a button and dial the response to how you want it to respond, which you cant with pilots. My first EH machine in 2012 had some handle issues that were warrantied, other than that, I have never had issue with EH reliability.

Tyler d4c

Stay under 75 HP and keep away from machines that require DEF.

We have 2-279D's and they have been great machines one has close to 3K hours, both bought new. 74 HP so no DEF. Other than normal service, an alternator and a battery here and there they've been good machines.

One has the auto reverse fan which is a nice feature, will not have another CTL without it. The oil filter is in a PITA spot that is messy to change but everything else is fairly accessible for a CTL.

Now I made up new cuss words and had one to many violent thoughts towards design engineers working on the 1990 thru 2008 model Bobcats..
There's 1 way to fix a bobcat get rid of Bob and buy a cat

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s a tough question. None of them are DIY friendly. Cat itself is hard to deal with as a DIY. Bobcat dealers are probably more user friendly from a business standpoint.

At least, you are doing the right thing by asking the question. IDK. I would probably purchase a Bobcat, if it was me. It’s the devil I know and the dealer is great.

Kubota is sure getting popular.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
This was the single biggest question I asked when looking for my current skid steer.
I usually do all my own work. I wanted a machine I could work on myself.
I'm not brand loyal in any way.
That boils down to 2 things in my mind. A simpler machine and community support.

Simpler to me was staying away from the more current emission controls - def, scr, dpf, etc. They seem to be the majority of the problems with newer machine and not DIY friendly.

Community support - this forum and others. If you ask a question about almost any brand, you'll get a few answer. You as a question about a bobcat and you get a ton of answers. It seems to me that bobcat is far more supported by members/owners.

These 2 things lead me to get a 2013 (last year of pre emissions bobcat engine) S650. So far it's been a great machine and easy maintenance.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That’s a tough question. None of them are DIY friendly. Cat itself is hard to deal with as a DIY. Bobcat dealers are probably more user friendly from a business standpoint.

Complete opposite here. Cat dealer is much easier to deal with than the Bobcat dealer on pretty much every level.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Might just be a local dealer thing but "in stock" to Bobcat sometimes means its in their warehouse and you'll see it in 3 weeks. Yeah we stopped dealing with them.

Cats are ok. If you're in a cold climate make dang sure you have the CCV heaters installed and the door covered up as required or you will likely start having DPF issues.

Case have come a long way in terms of their interior fit & finish the last couple years. Emission system seems to have less problems than the Cats as well.

bad Tom

My neighbor went to the farm show in Topeka and I showed him the new Deere. You can't see the top of the engine in it. All covered up, you take the side covers off to get into the engine area. With the loader boom lowered, its not fun to work on. We looked at the Case and you can still see the engine in them. I do all the work on my machines so I have the Case 400 series because I think they are the easy compaired to Bobcat, and Deere. I sisn't Cat was too bad by the looks of it.

TorontoGuy

I appreciate all the replies.. It seems like the new Bobcats the way they designed and placed there engines it makes it easier to replace most of the filters.. A few mentions an how you cannot see the engine is a real turnoff.. I plan on purchasing many used equipment. Will a dealer support your machine if you purchased it elsewhere? Seems like a lot of members rely a lot on the dealer.. I would hate to be stuck owning a used machine that has no support on potential major repairs

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The dealer won’t mind if you buy a used machine from elsewhere. Conversely, they will appreciate your wallet and do their best to separate you, from your money.

There are odd exceptions, such as grey market products. But, nothing you are likely to run across.

TorontoGuy

The dealer won’t mind if you buy a used machine from elsewhere. Conversely, they will appreciate your wallet and do their best to separate you, from your money.

There are odd exceptions, such as grey market products. But, nothing you are likely to run across.
As you may know all the Cat mini excavators are made in China and shipped to the US.. If I was to import them use them, you think my local Cat dealer would reject maintenance on those?