• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which backhoe would you buy and why?

Which backhoe would you buy and why?

• Case 580L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Case 580 Super L

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Case 580L Series 2

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Case 590L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Case 590 Super L

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Case 580M

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Cat 420D/420D IT

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Cat 430D/430D IT

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
This is a list of the backhoes Im looking to buy in the next year or so given my max price budget, oldest year desired, and desired makes. Id like to know which backhoe you'd choose between the given choices and your opinions or experience. Everything from best breakout power, digging force, problems and maintenance, EVERYTHING. Which would you choose and why?

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
out of all the hoes ive been on ive like deere and cat the best. the reason i own a deere is simple cat about even with the deere IMHO so the extra price tag to me was not justified. case backhoes allot of people swear by them but to me they just aren't as powerful digging pushing and loading as deere or cat to me although i think they are rated with a higher break out force than deere. this is all a matter of opinion though and just my personal in he seat experiences

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Monster, which Cat hoes have you operated? We have 416E's, 420E's, and a 430E IT at work. I love em all, especially the 430E IT but the price tags of the E's are astronomical.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
ive used a 430e and 420e the most as far as cat machines go but ive been in the seat of a bunch of others same with Deere backhoes i own currently a 310sj and used to own a g also, but ive operated quite a few 410d and 410g's and a few case 580's which i never really liked to much. my uncle who currently owns a 430e ive borrowed his machine plenty of times and rented quite a few also and when it comes down to rental i don't care who has what color only the price tag ive gotten behind the wheel allot of newer machines from different brands because of that

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
but as far as your poll is concerned id go with the cat if those were my only choices

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Yeah I love Cat for obvious reasons but the price tag is whats limiting me. If I had a choice and money wasnt an issue, Id be going Cat 430E IT without a doubt. I have no experience on any Cat D backhoes so I have no idea how they stack up against the newer E's let alone similar year Case L models. The attractive thing with the Case backhoes to me is price, styling, reliability, and they seem to have good dealer support for the most part on the forums.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
like i said with case allot of people swear by them i usually swear at them just not found of them when it comes to backhoes its a Deere or Cat for me. as far reliability my uncles 430 has over 9k hours on it only issue he has had have been none still has 90% of the original hydraulic hoses and i resealed one cylinder for him other than that it works hard just about every day

just so you have an idea this is a video from a swimming pool i was digging this is the norm for us down here as far digging goes which we tend to do allot of with our backhoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HHKM0BnIk&list=UUs5lOj0G9rq3rUbFq-bQ7Xw

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Looks like fun! I bet you guys deal with alot of limestone down in FL.

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Looks like the 590SL is in the lead. Guys please post why you're choosing the hoe you're voting for. I'd like to hear your opinions on pro's and cons of each one.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Been running Deere TLBs since I was the guinea pig in my area in 1983 when the B series came out. I said back then I remember that nobody will build a better hoe than that 510B. My present 410G can run circles around that one.Case hoes around here are mainly septic system rigs,fast,yes,but when you need raw grunt power,it's just not there IMHO.Putty Cats are OK but I don't feel they're as well balanced and as comfortable as Deere. My only gripe with Deere is that parts from the stealer are way overpriced and they have this attitude that you should be buying new all the time and they just don't care about the small moms and pops like myself.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
Tuney that sucks about your dealer my local deere dealer treats me very well

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
I have driven a 310D and that was the only Deere I ever drove. I feel like they are too bulky and the design of the rear boom just seems too big and basic. Also the newer Deere's are nearly as spendy as similar year/model Cat's. I like the speed of the Case (the ones Ive operated before anyways) and the breakout force/quality of the Cat's, the E's anyways since I haven't driven an older Cat but I hear they are underpowered for their weight. All in all Im really favoring a 580L/590L because Ive always liked the design of Case hoes and they are incredibly affordable compared to Cat and Deere's. I also grew up liking Cases the best so theres a bit of edge on their part as far as favoritism.

As mentioned I love operating Cats but the E's are astronomical in price and I haven't operated a D or older Cat model so Im not able to compare to see how I like them. I know E's have better breakout power, better hydraulics, more cab space, and more power than the D's. One thing I know I like about the D's are pilot controls and joystick backhoe controls but they aren't mandatory for me. What IS mandatory for me is 4x4 and preferably with an extendahoe. Honestly the Case 590 Super L is the one I'm liking the best so far. Ive seen some going as cheap as $20-$25k with reasonable hours that look in good shape. I'm hoping some 580L/590L owners/experienced operators will chime in and tell me some good things about em. :)

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The only backhoe I have extensive experience on is a 420DIT, which is why I picked it. Cab, HVAC, extends-boom, 4x4, regular bucket and forks. Used it Monday on a storm sewer project. It's been a good machine, easy on fuel and dependable. It's a 2003 model with around 3K hours, so it doesn't get used that often.

It needs both stabilizer cylinders re-packed, all other cylinders are fine and original. I've replaced a few hoses, wear items and just general maintenance. The A/C system is a little lacking but it's a big cab with a lot of glass. I love the hyd. quick change from bucket to forks, makes it a much more versatile machine and I can't imagine having a backhoe without it. It has a manual QC on the backhoe with 24 and 36" buckets, the 36" rarely gets used. I wish I would've gotten a 4n1 back when I bought it new as I can't justify the cost of one for it now unless I run up on one at auction for cheap.

It's a backhoe, jack of all trades and master of none but still productive after 11 years.

Earning it's keep this year on a small demo.
photo 1-2.JPG

Last edited:

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I operated a few different ones, the 430d was a great digger but felt the loader part was awkward for visibility but overall performed great. A 315se which I felt was a awesome machine loader was good and digging was good also a 310 g which was a nice all around machine too.. The 590L was a good machine just didn't care for the 4 stick controls had a 580k for a while that had 2 stick controls and it was a good machine for being a bare bones hoe.. I love cat equipment and there hoes are nice but the john Deere was my favorite

JDOFMEMI

I have always been impressed by the Case machines, and have owned 580 super K and 580 super L, as well as ran a 590L. The 590L was everything the 580's were plus much stronger and more stable.

I have also owned Cat 436, and thought it was a POS. It spent as much time broken as digging. I demoed new Cat hoes when I bought the 580 Super L. My worn out super K would outdo the new Cats in everything except comfort, and that was because of comparing new vs 8,000 hrs.

At the time Deere or Ford/New Holland was not an option for me due to no dealer support.

For most tasks the Cat was fine, but the Case would do production digging faster, set heavier pipe, and lift with the front loader loads that the Cat would not even think of. When I had the chance for a 590 for a while I was very impressed with the strength, though it came with a slight reduction of speed on the backhoe.

My Case 580's would dig with a 36" bucket, extendahoe all the way out to reach 14' deep utility vaults, and cycle fast with heaping buckets. When I tried digging vaults with the Cat, I had to either go to no larger than a 24" bucket, or else pull the extendahoe in all the way before lifting the boom out of the hole.

Cat does have more power in the boom lift than Case, due to the bent boom, but the Case will still lift more if you boom up first then use the stick for lifting. The Cat does ride worse due to the boom design, while the Case rides better when roading due to the over center boom design. In my opinion a Case without ride control rides as good as a Cat with ride control.

In tough conditions like muddy spoil piles, steep hills, etc, the Case would be able to pull with the tires and hoe to get through, while the Cat struggled, robbing drivetrain power to work the implements.

These are the reasons I would go with Case, and a 590L in particular.

I have heard good things about Deere, but have had no personal experience to compare.

I have used new Cats up to current models, and while the newest seem to be smooth and easy to operate, they still do not seem to have the power I had with my Case machines.

Shimmy1

At my previous job, I ran a 446B. Thought the machine was OK, I think it should have had a 6 cylinder. The engine just seemed to be lacking when doing loader work. No torque. Backhoe operated well, however, not nearly the digger as our old 780C Case.

I know these are all bigger and older hoes than I should be talking about, but it's what I have experience with. My opinion on brand when it comes to backhoes, whatever you run and are used to is the best. All backhoes feel and operate different. If you are used to a Case, when you get in a Cat it's going to feel like you have a septic tank hanging on the hoe. If you're used to a Cat, you're going to think the Case is built too light. John Deere I believe will be somewhere in the middle. Here in ND, the utility contractors (cable pullers) run mostly Deere, then Case. The water and sewer guys run the Cats, but I think that's mainly because most are toolcarriers so they can switch between attachments quickly.

Last edited:

Dickjr.

I choose the 420D , reasons being they are more fuel efficient than the Case and have more standard features than the Case backhoes listed . I have seen a 580 Super M Deluxe that has the taller front tires , nicer interior , pilot controls etc. The 580 SL is probably less problematic than the 420 , but that's just my opinion. All the machines on the list are solid. I'm still running a 416C , at 4500 hrs , it has cost me about 1000$ a year in repairs , some of that was even cosmetic. I have been on an E model Cat , they have a nicer operator station , but it wouldn't dig any faster than my C. Trenching with an 18" bucket. When I buy another one , I will look hard at Deere , possibly even a JCB.

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
The outfit I currently work for had Cat 420E for several years and I rather enjoyed operating them, as well as the Cat loaders. They switch every four years back and forth between Cat and Deere for some reason - probably keep local business happy. Anyway, I gotta say that I prefer the Cat cabs and interior over the new JD's for the simple reason of room for operator. I'm a big fellow and to swivel the seat for backhoe operation is a chore! Now if you are a skinny little fellow, this will not be a problem and you can whirl around like you were in a barber chair! Well, not really, but you get my drift! Creature comfort, and ease of accessibility to controls means a lot when you are confined to the cab for many hours. I do like many of the features in the new JD's, but that log in screen on the computer gets annoying quickly! I still think the Cats are a more operator friendly machine overall, and I'm an old Cat man do ! :)

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Jerry, excellent. This is what Im looking for as far as 590L's are concerned. I really like the additional power and larger rear tires and outriggers on the 590L. Plus if you can get a 590L for the same price as a 580L (or cheaper), then why not right?

cM1995: Thats a great looking hoe, exactly what Id be looking for if I went Cat.

Desertwheeler: Good to hear you liked the 590L as well, and I agree about Case 4-stick controls. I'd need to relearn them since its been years since Ive operated one. I think Ill probably look for a 2-stick 590L if I go that route.