• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which 30 Tonne excavator best for earthmoving job

mannix

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Appreciate for your advise and suggestion. My question is I am looking for new 30 - 35 tonne excavators for earth moving project. My option is Komatsu PC 300 -8, Hitachi Zaxis -3 350H, CAT 330D,
any advise before i made decision in terms of performance, reliabililty, cost of maintenance,etc. Thanks

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
personally i would stay away from the hitachi because i own one and really dont like it that much. IAm a cat man so i would go with a cat they are reliable and easy to get parts for if you are close to a cat dealer. Komatsu isnt to bad parts are pretty easy. but i would go with cat or kobelco they are fast smooth machines

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
Go with either Cat or Volvo....both good machines

cummins05

If you have close dealer or place that stocks parts go with that brand no sense buying a cat and having to wait two weeks for a part when you can get Komatsu parts in a day. They all break you have to look at your support options.\
If you have support from all three makes you mentioned.

I prefer Hitachi/Deere

I havent owned a D series Cat so I hope they are better then the C series cause I had 3 of those at diffent times and disliked those

mannix

personally i would stay away from the hitachi because i own one and really dont like it that much. IAm a cat man so i would go with a cat they are reliable and easy to get parts for if you are close to a cat dealer. Komatsu isnt to bad parts are pretty easy. but i would go with cat or kobelco they are fast smooth machines

In fact, high chances that we may purchase hitachi due to hitachi offer reasonable trade in value for our only one OLD hitachi machine. Most of our machine currently we used is Komatsu. The Hitachi price is about Rm 580,000.00 Another fact is Caterpillar price is about additional 100,000.00 ,komatsu price is about 50,000.00. For part wise, it is easily for us as the dealer is here for very long time already.

Mind to share why would you stay away from hitachi ? which model you are using ? In terms of excavation power and productivity, which is the best? Thanks

mannix

Go with either Cat or Volvo....both good machines

Yup, Volvo dealer is in our country also. I "heard" that volvo machine is great , powerful, fuel efficiency . would like to know is Volvo really offer great saving on fuel ? how big is the different compare to others ?

although Volvo is great, we have doubt on their after sales services..

mannix

If you have close dealer or place that stocks parts go with that brand no sense buying a cat and having to wait two weeks for a part when you can get Komatsu parts in a day. They all break you have to look at your support options.\
If you have support from all three makes you mentioned.

I prefer Hitachi/Deere

I havent owned a D series Cat so I hope they are better then the C series cause I had 3 of those at diffent times and disliked those

Hi, mind to share more why you prefer hitachi ?

zxa

i"m agree with CUMMINS05..consider the parts invailability, service...all brand have good reliability today....if you have no limitation on brand, then is just up to you...when people have no particular brand, usualy they alway make a smart buy...

cummins05

I found the hitachi Deere to be better on fuel and produce a bit more per hour then the CAT. Komatsu used to be cheaper but you got a cheaper machine now you pay big and get the same cheap machine. Just found overall the Hitachi/Deere fit better in my company the way I wanted things .
The dealer support was good and no one beats Hitachi/Deere for precise controls in my books

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I like the Deere/Hitachi as well, the new Cat D series at least the 320D has pretty nice controls a lot better than the old C-series or B-series. It doesn't start as nice in the winter in fact you have to plug it in all the time but I doubt that'll be a problem in Malasyia. I ran a brand new Case CX210 last year and found it to be an absolute power house at least in comparison to Cat's 320 C series. The guy I was working for told me that the dealer here is much better at stocking parts than some of the competitors especially Caterpillar where it can take a couple days to get an alternator or a turbocharger.

alco

I also would go in the Hitachi direction, for many of the same reasons that have been mentioned already. Failing that, I would tend to go to Komatsu simply because they seem to be a decent machine these days. I was not a fan of their older hoes, but the new ones are actually quite nice.

personally i would stay away from the hitachi because i own one and really dont like it that much.

What model Hitachi do you own, and what don't you like about it?

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
In fact, high chances that we may purchase hitachi due to hitachi offer reasonable trade in value for our only one OLD hitachi machine. Most of our machine currently we used is Komatsu. The Hitachi price is about Rm 580,000.00 Another fact is Caterpillar price is about additional 100,000.00 ,komatsu price is about 50,000.00. For part wise, it is easily for us as the dealer is here for very long time already.

Mind to share why would you stay away from hitachi ? which model you are using ? In terms of excavation power and productivity, which is the best? Thanks

i have an hitachi 420 the machine has given me problem first it was the front idlers went on both sides and thne hoses started blowing which will happen but it will take the dealer a day to make a hose. then for some reason the track falls off once a week and i keep the tracks greased and cleaned and then when i want to service it my dealer doesnt have any filter in stock and have to wait a day. The machine isnt really that bad strong but their undercarriage it think stinks and my dealer makes me really hate the machine. the dealer i use is right next to the cat dealer usally when a hoes blows the dealer next to cat wont have it dont till the next day so i just got to the cat ealer and they make me one right there and i cross refferenced all the numbers ovr to napa filter so thats easier. they why i dont like the machine that and its not a cat i grew up running cat machines and never really liked anything diffrent. i bought this machine used for 78,000 now ill be lucky if i get a 1/4 of that back i also have a cat 345 and that machine holds its value not like i would ever sell it.

alco

i have an hitachi 420 the machine has given me problem first it was the front idlers went on both sides and thne hoses started blowing which will happen but it will take the dealer a day to make a hose. then for some reason the track falls off once a week and i keep the tracks greased and cleaned and then when i want to service it my dealer doesnt have any filter in stock and have to wait a day. The machine isnt really that bad strong but their undercarriage it think stinks and my dealer makes me really hate the machine. the dealer i use is right next to the cat dealer usally when a hoes blows the dealer next to cat wont have it dont till the next day so i just got to the cat ealer and they make me one right there and i cross refferenced all the numbers ovr to napa filter so thats easier. they why i dont like the machine that and its not a cat i grew up running cat machines and never really liked anything diffrent. i bought this machine used for 78,000 now ill be lucky if i get a 1/4 of that back i also have a cat 345 and that machine holds its value not like i would ever sell it.

That's pretty interesting, especially since the status line under your user name tells us you're under 13.

sultan

I've run numerous 30 tonners and there are a lot of very nice machines to choose from. My single favourite machine of all the 30 tonners I've run is the 330C L (but I've never tried a 330/336D). It felt strong, smooth, fast, and comfortable. The CAT 330B L wasn't that great though.

Deere/Hitachi machines are also pretty good, especially the current D series Deeres. I have also run an older Hitachi EX300-3 but I didn't like it much because it felt rather 'wimpy' and slow when going through dirt. Volvo also makes good hoes.

Komatsus are good if you are buying new or a machine with under 3000 hours. Avoid Komatsus with over 7000 hours because everything tends to fail on them all at once around 10k hours.

mannix

I've run numerous 30 tonners and there are a lot of very nice machines to choose from. My single favourite machine of all the 30 tonners I've run is the 330C L (but I've never tried a 330/336D). It felt strong, smooth, fast, and comfortable. The CAT 330B L wasn't that great though.

Deere/Hitachi machines are also pretty good, especially the current D series Deeres. I have also run an older Hitachi EX300-3 but I didn't like it much because it felt rather 'wimpy' and slow when going through dirt. Volvo also makes good hoes.

Komatsus are good if you are buying new or a machine with under 3000 hours. Avoid Komatsus with over 7000 hours because everything tends to fail on them all at once around 10k hours.

thankx for the feedback. In my country , the current model of hitachi is Zaxis -3 . is it the same as deeres d series ? Yup, CAT machine is powerful , we have a old 330 ME , and the performance is impressive. I think will go for hitachi, because Hitachi offer better deal :) hope i made a rite decision

sultan

thankx for the feedback. In my country , the current model of hitachi is Zaxis -3 . is it the same as deeres d series ? Yup, CAT machine is powerful , we have a old 330 ME , and the performance is impressive. I think will go for hitachi, because Hitachi offer better deal :) hope i made a rite decision

The Zaxis -3 machines are mostly the same as the Deere D series (but the Deeres have different engines, cooling systems, and pump arrangements). CAT can be a bit pricey, especially in your part of the world. The ZX350-3 is a solid machine, and I think you'll be happy with it.