• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where to find a used truck

chechnya

Hi. I am searching for a SMALL used hooklift or regular type roll-off hoist+truck, does anyone have any type of website to find one? Ive tried trucker, traderonline, ebay and several websites owned by smaller companies. Something like a Ford F250+ or a Chevrolet 2500+.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
You will find these work so well no one wants to get rid of them. So thy are few and far between in the used market. I have 2 of them on F350 4X4's and will run them till they grow roots. then switch them to a new truck and run them some more. In the 14 years I have had mine I have never seen another used one for sale. I suspose buying a new one and installing it on a used truck is out of the question.

Attachments

• Stellar-offload-Bomag.jpg
    Stellar-offload-Bomag.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

chechnya

Thats awesome. I want to start a roll-off company using small trucks and roll-offs like that. So far the only problems ive run into are finding trucks and roll-offs.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
You could buy new. spread over 5 years they would cost a little under $8K per year each. that is around $750 per month / each. My return has averaged better then $200 per day for over 10 years on 1 truck and 14 years on the other. Plus a new truck w/ rooloff can be financed with cheep interest.
The only question is do you have a market built up yet? You could have all the trucks in the world but if you don't have the work they won't do you any good.

chechnya

The cool thing is, the market im doing this in has no small roll-off companies. Has plenty of large ones(20,30,40yd) so thats why im really excited about doing this. Im hoping to be the first to get a franchise from a canadian company doing the same thing.

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Chechnya, in you're last post you mentioned there is company in Canada selling roll off franchise, I was wondering what the name of company is.

We have a company in Vancouver called 1-800-GOT-JUNK that sells franchises, mainly 1 ton dumps but not roll off bins. Some of the local Home Depot stores have also added mini bin roll off services.

I would research the market before buying a small truck, In Vancouver there are many company’s that will load and dispose of small amounts of garbage (1 to 8 cu. yd.) For less than the cost of an 8 cu. yd. mini Bin rental.

Dusty

Charter Member
we have the got junk guys in my area so i wouldent even bother and most of the big roofing guys r now buying roll off trucks

chechnya

The got junk guys are OKAY but are only good to a point. Some people like to have the freedom to clean at their pace. Why are big roofers buying roll-offs? To pick up their roofing materials or starting a trash business?

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
There is a Stellar dealer on the east side of MI that has a F350 for sale, Might be able to go to stellars site and back track from there. If not, i might be able to find his # at the shop.

chechnya

Do they have a website with pictures? The only thing on Stellars site is their demo unit, a Sterling i believe, which of course is way too big.

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
Sorry, didnt realize he wanted that much for it. Atleast dayx came up with a few more places to look. the boss get a waste publication sent to the shop with a ton of trucks for sale in it, will have to get the name of the publication.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Dwan we need bigger pictures of your truck I'am interested as I have thought about putting a small rolloff truck together. I'am surprised you used a F-350 don't you find its a little lightly sprung and under braked.

I would like to have a 4x4 my truck is a 95 F-Superduty (450 2wd) I really don't want to go with a newer F-450 Superduty as they are not cheap a used 99 diesel is still 20 grand plus for a cab and chassis.

Trying to find a OBS diesel F-350 4x4 with a 161wb is nearly impossible here in B.C. they are very rare. For the construction sites I go it would be really nice to have 4wheeldrive.

I have been in the junk business since I was 16 its not a big money maker I definatly can't live off of doing "junk removal" if I wasn't able to do other work like pulling wrenches I would be broke.

That "GOT JUNK" is "Yuppie" junk removal its designed for city people that have no clue.

Some of the junk removal jobs I have had to carry 6000lbs of mix mash of old wood and demo debris up 2 flights of stairs. I must have took away 2 loads like that each time loading the truck it took close to 4 hours. The stuff was bulky so I could only get 3000lbs a load. The first part of that job was cleaning the junk out of the house which was old hydabeds old clothes etc. Trying to get a old hydabed up 2 flights of stairs by myself.

The got junk website shows their employees in uniforms and employees that never seen a hard days work in their life.

If you want to go in the junk removal biz don't buy into any kind of Frachises they are a waste of money. Your business should come from your own reputation of a good job done.

One of the most unique jobs I had was on a lake we had to load a small float (dock) with the junk then tow it 1/2 a mile accross the lake to where my truck was. I think we hauled about 8000lbs of junk accross the lake it was a tough job it took all day.

I did think about having a 450 with bins but the problem here is every stick of garbage has to be separated into the groups Wood waste,Metal,drywall and stuff that can be buried. Most construction guys like throwing everything into one pile the landfill won't accept that. So its why I just run a regular fladeck so I show up I sort the load as I put it on the truck.

If its a large amount of one item like wood I will make that a separate trip if its a mixed bag and its small enough to get it all in one trip. I have alot of people say wow you got it all on its where the experience comes into play.

Good Luck

SunServicesLLC

A good publication is www.AmericanWasteDigest.com lots of trucks for sale
I started with a Freightliner FL80 Stellar hooktruck alomost two years ago and
looking for another as an overflow and back up truck now. In that two years i have also added 4 regular triaxle cable pull trucks (wish i had gotten all hooktrucks). I tried the homeowner cleanout thing but they are a pain to deal with. Im now about 90% builder/remodeler and 10% homeowner from the phonebook. Having the smaller truck with small cans that can get in tight places has really been great though, def a niche market. Good luck with it as it has been great to me
Brian