• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where now?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've been thinking alot lately about making a move to elsewhere in the province. Just getting tired of city living and the same old routine. Have a few ideas bouncing around in my head of where to go next but nothing set in stone.

My biggest obstacle is this would be my first time selling a home to relocate. What's the best plan of attack? Move first, then find work? Or find the job and then move? I know mechanics (and tradespeople in general) usually pick up work pretty quickly but it seems like a pretty big gamble to lay out big money for a house and then try and find a job to pay for it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you have a place you’d like to go then I’d see what they have for opportunities there. You’d get a pretty good feel for things that way. Or go for the best opportunity regardless of where you land and make that $$. I get restless myself sometimes but I’ve been here so darn long with kids and all so I’m stuck lol.

The right big player might even help with some relocation expenses. I was courted by a company in Ga years ago that was going to pay to move me and take care of my house as well. Glad I didn’t make the move but it was one of the first times I felt like I had the experience to draw that kind of treatment.

I certainly wouldn’t buy a place to live until you were settled in. I say that knowing how much I hate to rent! Live like a pipeliner out of a trailer. Then you just gotta find a spot to park!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Job lined-up THEN move.. That's how I do it.. and get moving expenses.. AND MORE MONEY than your currently making..
Last place that courted me offered 2000.00 moving expenses.. & 4.00 MORE than my current hrly. pay.
I used it to pay for health insurance for 60 days until the jobs ins. kicked in.. and a hotel room for a few weeks until I found a nice place to buy.. I kept my old place because it was paid for.. & when I quit 3 years later, I sold the "new" place for a 2000.00 profit..
& the moving van was only 200.00..{DIY moving}
Take your time & look places over.. then rent a room & stay for a long weekend just to get a feel of the land.

Vetech63

What those 2 ^ said...…….I wouldn't make a lateral move. The cost of living in a different area could be more, travel could cost more, etc...… I would definitely have work lined up before ever moving to a new area.

Crummy

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Short version (results may vary, probably won't work for your situation)- I first looked for a place I wanted to live because at this point that's more important to me than anything, then started looking online for local trade organizations in the area and contacted them about what the business climate was in the area for my line of work. In my case, the local county Farm Bureau gave me what I needed to know and continues to be very helpful. Also helps a lot that I'm going from an area with insanely high real estate prices & very high cost of living- going to have a bit of foldin' money to tide me over until I'm established. I'm frustrated though as I know the work is there, I don't want to be here, and I want to go NOW but it seems real estate agents don't really want to do anything for that 6% commission I'm going to pay them. I thought freight brokers were bad.....

A guy I know and his wife decided they needed to get out of here also; he contacted companies in areas they were interested in with an "I'm considering relocating my family to your area, here's my qualifications..." email. He ended up getting a great job and the company needed him RFN and paid his relocation costs and put them up in a rental until they sold there house here! What a deal!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm in probably one of the most expensive areas of the province right now so its almost certain I'd be making less per hour (but lower housing costs) if I moved. This would be a backward move in terms of pay for sure but at this point its more about what I want out of life vs money.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I understand what you're saying regarding work/life balance, cost of living, etc. All I can suggest is to do your research very carefully before taking the plunge. All my previous career moves have been done by initially moving me as opposed to selling up and moving the whole kit and caboodle. Then if it doesn't pan out a move back to where you started isn't possible.

Maybe a good example is my eldest son who had always worked and lived in our local area until 3 years ago. His company went through a load of changes but his job was safe. Even so he was offered a move, including a promotion, to work in Dubai for the same company. He thought long and hard over it, did his research, and decided to take the plunge on the basis that he'd stick it for at least a couple of years to get the experience even if he didn't like it, then come back. When he was asked recently about if he had any plans to return his answer was "Not yet, I'm having far too much fun out here". So it turned out good for him but even so he had a Plan B to move back to his home area in case it didn't. I don't know if that type of scenario is an option for you.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've thought about keeping my place and renting it out on a 6 month term just to test the waters elsewhere. I do currently work for a very large company and have the option of transfering. Mainly just trying to weigh my options and come up with a plan for the next year or so. You guys have given me a few ideas I've never even considered before so thank you.

Wes J

One thing to keep in mind, never hitch your wagon to just one horse. If you find a job and move, make sure you have a backup plan. There is no guarantee you will like working there. If you move to small town, your options will be limited.