• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where do virus's and worms reside?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I never had a problem getting the removal program from Symantec.You need to tell them what program you want to uninstall and download the specific program for that application and follow the instructions to do the uninstall.
It is important to use that program and not use the windows removal software first as I have had to reinstall the Norton programs again before it could uninstall it properly.You will need the activation code for the program sometimes before it will let you uninstall it but it will tell you where to find it.
The last time I used their website to uninstall their products it seemed to be more universal in scope so they may have updated their software.It still leaves remnants in your registry if you want to get it all.Ron G

carogator

I am down to only one or two small problems now. I hope.
Dell Dimension 3000/Pentium 4
Windows XP Home 32 bit OS SP3
Will not detect new hardware / will not detect software
Will not load software from installation disk

Where should I start looking?

I hace only gotten this far with your help and Geeks to Go.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Make sure that you have no yellow flags in device manager.Run SFC.exe /scannow by clicking start/run.Don't forget the space in the command.You will need your operating system disk handy.Ron G

carogator

Thats what I have on here now. But it is the Paid version. Superanti-spyware Professional.
I don't have any warning flags at all in device manager. I do have yellow ? on all my USB controlers.
Ran scan-disc, no damaged discs nothing to repair.
Still can't get system to detect new hardware or locate software, even from installation disc.will not find software on internet.

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
You may need to enable USB in the system bios,that is setup when the computer first boots,you may need to press F2 or whatever during the boot process to access it.I suspect that you have some missing or corrupted operating system files and the easy way to fix that is to run SFC.exe as I told you yesterday.SFC stands for system file checker.It is a Microsoft utility.Your CPU is not running hot is it?If it has in the past even though you cleaned the fan and heatsink it can cause undesireble things to happen to the system,files get lost,corrupted etc.Ron G