• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where are the labororers?

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
That's crazy. When I was a kid I helped a friend and his dad break up a driveway, mow lawns and helped another friends family demo and remodel their house. Oh did I mention I got paid NOTHING for that? It was fun and educational, the little turds now want nothing to do with learning, cause it's cool to be a fool it would seem.

Yup, everyones spoiled. If you want good guys, you have to keep the ones you've got. Most of my guys have been with me for 10+ years. I call the hall to get guys for a job and if they work and prove themselves then I keep them, if not I get rid of them at the end of the job. In todays economy you can't have guys who don't want to work on your payroll. Hard enough to make money as it is competing against guys who don't pay the rate and cut corners.

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
when you have bills to pay sometimes you have to give up the seat for the shovel

Mike250

I've worked landscaping since I graduated high school. I have used tractors, skid steers and track loaders but have had a hard time finding a site work company to hire me as a laborer.There are some good size companies in the Harrisburg PA area that I have applied to. Next month I will be taking heavy equipment operations training so I hope I can acquire some base level skills to help get my foot in the door so to speak.Has anyone had any particular luck in finding companies to hire them as laborers in PA?

Pigseye

Mikef and curly you hit the nail on the head I went to school to be a surveyor and when I was done, it was 9 an hour as a surveryor to start or 19 as a grade man as a laborer. Hard work but worth it all, not to mention I was more interested in the earth moving part of it anyway. I see less and less new hires joining the ranks of the laborers, and I will say it has really kept me busy at the company I am with but in the long run it's bad for all the companies.

Paul
local 563

PSDF350

Yup, everyones spoiled. If you want good guys, you have to keep the ones you've got. Most of my guys have been with me for 10+ years. I call the hall to get guys for a job and if they work and prove themselves then I keep them, if not I get rid of them at the end of the job. In todays economy you can't have guys who don't want to work on your payroll. Hard enough to make money as it is competing against guys who don't pay the rate and cut corners.

Sounds like your union. If so thats one of the problems. From your postings you sound like a guy I would have liked working for growing up in framingham. But I always refused to join the union. Never liked the idea of kissing ass just to get out on a job. Especially since jobs were a dime a dozen.

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Sounds like your union. If so thats one of the problems. From your postings you sound like a guy I would have liked working for growing up in framingham. But I always refused to join the union. Never liked the idea of kissing ass just to get out on a job. Especially since jobs were a dime a dozen.
I fail to see what the "problem" here is....
I'd assume Mikef87 was simply saying it is to his benefit he can send a slug back and get someone else who wants to work without the issues of actually hiring and firing.
I've worked for both companies (union and nonunion) each has their problems.
I work with plenty of guys who abuse the union and they are more then likely the ones that give us a bad name.

curly

Occupation
loader operator
I work with plenty of guys who abuse the union and they are more then likely the ones that give us a bad name.

I have as well. Worst I ever met was a guy that hated a scab that crossed the line because his kid was dying and he needed the medical insurance to pay for the life saving procedure.

And on a related note to the main subject of laborers. I am working as one currently doing one heck of a garbage job, picking clay off the belt. Not alot of fun and boring as heck and definitely a bad job, but it has to be done. The other guy walked off the job and considering the luck we've had with other laborers doing easier jobs I am going to say nobody wants to do the *hit jobs, they all want the gravy work. I'm only 29 and when I see guys near my age walking off a job because it's not fun it just disgusts me. Our current dozer man started out doing my job and well now he runs the dozer so it does payoff eventually.

Last edited:

PSDF350

I fail to see what the "problem" here is....
I'd assume Mikef87 was simply saying it is to his benefit he can send a slug back and get someone else who wants to work without the issues of actually hiring and firing.

Becuase I haven't met a union yet I liked, thats the problem. Maybe it's differant were you are, although I doubt it. But with the unions around were I grew up it wasn't what you knew or could do it was who you blew. That was the construction unions. There was also a bunch of sniffiling whinning babys that worked at the gm plant in town. Always complaining about not enough this not enough that wha wha wha. Yet they did the most brain dead a monkey can do job, but they were never happy with what they were getting (which was considerable $$$ and bennys). Probably why there is no longer a gm plant there.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
I second the Home depot. There are a minimum of 10 mexicans standing around my closest HD any week day. They stand there waiting for someone to offer a job.

Wolf

HD Labor

I second the Home depot. There are a minimum of 10 mexicans standing around my closest HD any week day. They stand there waiting for someone to offer a job.

How do you know what country they are from?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Maybe some of you guys should try to find help. Ads in paper, craigslist.org, ETC. Instead of just going to the nearest HP and picking up some.....never mind

biggixxerjim

Its getting to the point where I dont believe that people want to hire whites for labor positions, because its becoming the preception that whites dont wanna work.

Ive been laid off since August, and I have called about many labor jobs (mostly at local horse farms) and I never hear back ANYTHING. I mean, clean the stalls, cut the grass, whack the weeds, maybe drive a small tractor here or there..... I must be qualified, right? (Retorical question)

PSDF350

Its getting to the point where I dont believe that people want to hire whites for labor positions, because its becoming the preception that whites dont wanna work.

Ive been laid off since August, and I have called about many labor jobs (mostly at local horse farms) and I never hear back ANYTHING. I mean, clean the stalls, cut the grass, whack the weeds, maybe drive a small tractor here or there..... I must be qualified, right? (Retorical question)
I think it also has to do with cheaper labor.

mettalgear

Occupation
Transport/Rollback Driver
Damn you guys need to come to O'll Cali for laborers, Home Depot, 7-11 any street corner that has a taco truck, But none of them want to work for under 15 bucks an hour.... But it isnt that kids these days are lazy the have never learned to understand the meening of PRIDE in the quality and perfesionalism they are to do a job. AAh this subject just pisses me off any way because no matter what i've done or where ive worked ive always been thrown to the wolves to prove myself.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I tend to want to agree with your perception of young people. I am still being brought up, and the way my dad sees it, the only way to get to the top, is to build your way there. My dad has us work with our gardener, a black african of course, but i can never moan. Not that I ever want to. Last year our school told us to come with some spades and forks to load bags of compost for the principals garden, and i have never seena lazier bunch. They started to moan after filling one bag between three, and man, did I feel pissed. Altough there were some pretty big guys there, they had no interest in loading the bags onto the bakkie, let alone filling them! Another thing that irritated me, was that they simply had no idea that compost is not dirty, let alone how to use a spade. If you can't use a spade, you can't do anything else!

Cheap labour: There used to be a tog labour system here, ie: unemployed people from the rural areas, usually black, would line up at the store closest to the main road out of the townships, and wait for a farmer or contractor to come and load a dozen or more up and take them to work on their jobs. In the cities, there were tog labour signs by the bus stops and railway stations, for blacks and whites. Nowadays, that just don't happen any more. Granted, black labour is still the cheapest option, but they are the only ones willing to go out and get a job like that. All that the white kids want to do is sit at home and lead 'social' lives, or pack in a supermarket, than go out and learn something that can earn them some money and some respect.

I work, mowing the lawn, sifting compost (my dad is an horticulturalist), digging, demolishing, building, fixing, etc, as well as do my homework, studying, dancing, and HEFing, and I am still alive! Those rich, spoilt kids would rather work out their thumbs, than be healthy and fit, and experienced and knowledgeable!

Last edited:

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
We do try to stay away from ethnic sterotypes and commentary here at HEF.

I do think it's fair to say that immigrants in general may bring a strong work ethic with them to anyplace they relocate. It's why they've bothered to chase opportunity outside of their native lands.

That's what made America great in the first place, isn't it?

Wow that is great news to me digger. I just left a board that was run by bigots and other rude people, took all the fun out of it! The more I read the better I like the board.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I have no use for people here illegally. I don't care if they came from the moon legally. See what they really cost you in hospitals and schools and all the other BS that goes with it. Thats why CA is broke! I see illegals at Home Depot like 150 of them every morning. When they say "have a job?" I say yes who has a SS# or green card and the all walk away. So I know they are illegal. Then there is another 150 at the train station and they were 65 living in a house of 2000 sf:rolleyes:

How can anyone pay wages and taxes if everyone is just dumping cash out? No wonder the country is in the dumper. Sorry my father came here and bust his butt but legally. I do not blame illegals for coming here for a minute like my father did to make money. He had to have X dollars I think 5000 to claim himself in from Canada from Ireland and that was a bunch of money in 1949. When i needed bricklayers and they were from Ireland illegally I had no use for them either!

Last edited:

Bully

Manual labor sucks, I've been doing it since I was 13. But I'm glad I did, because I got some early exposure to construction while I was young. Not that I was very good then, but I was willing to do it.

Most cases I've found with foriegn laborers is that having English as a second language has resulted in more accidents and more screwups while on the job. Sometimes things don't translate the same way, or as quickly I feel, and resulted in alot of our laborers getting hurt when I was working on the water. Not that they did a poor job, or that they weren't smart enough to do the work, but that at critical times given quick instructions something was bound to go wrong more often than with the American deckhands. The foreign born fellas were damn good workers, just second rate when it came to following through properly with detailed, unsupervised work.

The American kids though, were mostly lazy, and bitched about every little task, and did not want to learn, only the basics. In a pinch though I could count on them to take on a complex task unsupervised and it would run out exactly as planned, allbeit nothing but pissing and moaning about it the whole time.

Alot of guys today( not all, some gems are still out there) just don't want to pay the dues it takes to make them the operators or laborers they could be. I would always tell our dock boss to hire guys with families and over the age of 28 and preferably a homeowner. They had sometihing to lose if they didn't do well, and were ususally worth the money and then some. They ususally wanted to learn too, becuse old age was starting to creep in and busting ratchets and being the go-fer is taxing on the body.