• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where are Komatsu D65P-8 oil drains?

Plaptown

Had the dozer a few years, not many hours on it yet and not alot of experience working on it but doing some maintenance now. Manual is very confusing; must've read these pages 4 times over.
1) the steering clutch oil - I see two plugs under the back of the machine (see photos) but my manual says there's only one for the steering clutch oil? Would I assume one drains the right steering clutch and one drains the left?? or is one something else?
2) Filling the steering clutch oil - my manual says there is a fill port for steering clutches above the right final drive fill port.... my machine has one on the left but not the right. I assume this port on the left side fills (both) steering clutches?
3) The transmission case, I'm assuming you need to remove the belly pan cover to get at the drain? (even though my manual says you don't)
IMG_1597.jpg IMG_1598.jpg IMG_1599.jpg

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Both the plugs under the steering clutches , maybe a third under the bevel gear housing as well . There may be a screen bottom of the toque converter that should be serviced at the same time , that will be under the crankcase/belly guard . There could be a small access drop cover built into the crankcase/belly guard to service it . Make sure you have identified the transmission oil filler and not the hydraulic filler . Is the manual the correct one for your dozer , should state a "serial number and up ", if your dozer is below the number its clearly not but not so easy to pick if its above and by thousands of dozers .

Plaptown

The manual is the correct one for the dozer, according to the serial number.
I don't see a 3rd drain that would be the bevel gear housing.... just the two drains.
I plan on removing the belly guard later to access the torque converter and trans.
I know where to fill the hydraulic tank, and the trans oil, it's just the steering clutch oil that's confusing in this case. I assume it's the port above the final drive port (just on the left side instead of right side, as stated in the manual).