• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheel loader pulling power.

dominikat12

I am quite interested in wheel loaders pulling/pushing power.I know they are 4x4 but what is interesting to me is their 4x4 better one than a truck's one or it is the same?And can for example a 10 ton loader outpull 13 ton truck (4x4 each) or even to scale it bigger L 2350 (around 260 ton) to outpull cat 797f (around the same weight)?

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
That question is sort of like asking how high is up. So many variables, tire size, weight balance front to fear, tread aggresiveness, limited slip diff VS. open diff., ground conditions, and etc.
Only way I know of to do a true test is a drawbar test, that is to tie each vehicle with similar options to a hydraulic load cell on a two controlled level surfaces, ( first hard pavement, then soft graound). Compare empty drawbar pull with empty vehicle, then do same test with vehicles loaded to rated capacity. Then you have to determine if limit is pulling power or traction (Wheel slip). A rubber tired dozer can out pull a crawler on a hard surface but will loose out in soft ground, a log skidder will out pull a larger loader in soft ground because of the type of tires used and the final gear ratio.

Last edited: