• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
It’s going to be warm enough here today to get the Case moving and warm up hyrdraulics and grease everything, just hate to do it before a rain but may not get another chance for a while. Looked at garage and trying to figure out a storage are on side with a shed type roof.
Just can’t wrap my head around the roofline with 2 knee walls on each gable end.
Actually looked for pics and ideas yesterday and found nothing like what I’m thinking.
This is my Carolina Carports barn I ordered in May 2020. I have been very pleased with the construction and end product. I ordered it with 14' side walls on the center section and 9' on the outside walls. At 15' they make you have a crane on site. I did the site prep and leveling then laid down a 4" layer of crushed brick for the floor.

It is 30 feet deep. Center is 18' wide and the sides are 12'.

eagle.jpg

Last edited:

Old Growth

I did have a mishap in 2016 with a bulldozer. I did stupid & pushed a dead white pine 2 feet diameter breast high. Top was gone from a storm years earlier, not a single branch. It took a bit more push than expected & the whipping 50 feet up caused the top 4 feet of trunk to snap off. It landed on the hood & smashed my air cleaner. Lesson learned!

Why not use a chainsaw first? Chainsaws compliment heavy equipment very well.

hosspuller

I have a repurposed boat shed for the backhoe. Increased the side height from 5 feet to 9 feet, with new metal. Anchored it with 5 per side 4 foot rebar driven with the last 6 inch bent over. Heated with oxy/acc then bent.

Attachments

• IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 11

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
That is Very Nice! How did they anchor it to the ground or did they have to?
It has 27 screw type anchors and about 18 rebar anchors.

Supposed to be Florida certified for 170 mph winds.

Old Growth

Makes it difficult to get the stump out if you were meaning to cut near the base.
Cut it as high as you like, anything to help keep the top from busting out and killing ya.

With a backhoe, you can push pretty high. Maybe requiring some cutting from a front bucket work space.

The fella I replied to was using a dozer and most likely was only pushing at 3-9' high. Leaving a stump that high is pretty easy.

Verno

WOW
It has 27 screw type anchors and about 18 rebar anchors.

Supposed to be Florida certified for 170 mph winds.
WOW! Highest wind here was 68 mph. Neighbor's trampoline flew and put a 3' round hole in my 10X12 alum. shed. Told me he wasn't paying me a F'n dime because it was an act of God. I told him God would have been smart enuf to anchor it down....

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Why not use a chainsaw first? Chainsaws compliment heavy equipment very well.
Yeah, on that tree a chainsaw would be a good choice, didn't have one handy.
I usually prefer to push them over, it removes the stump. Up to a 20" tree, I just push with the hoe. I don't trust the process with a dead tree. Dead trees are DANGEROUS! They can break, or limbs big enough to kill can fall. Those get a chain as high as I can get standing in a loader & pull them down with dozer or Power Wagon winch.

If I don't care if the stump remains chainsaw is used, often I want the stump out & a healthy tree trunk makes a Hell of a lever to pry it out.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
WOW

WOW! Highest wind here was 68 mph. Neighbor's trampoline flew and put a 3' round hole in my 10X12 alum. shed. Told me he wasn't paying me a F'n dime because it was an act of God. I told him God would have been smart enuf to anchor it down....
That argument doesn't apply for neglect. If a storm blows an otherwise healthy tree over from a neighbor it applies. IF the tree was diseased and the neighbor knows about it before the storm they are liable. Or so I'm told.

Legdoc

2004 580 M series 1. Sitting in the barn waiting for her next assignment or a detailed cab off paint job. Which ever comes first. Great machine made like they used to be..

Verno

Drilling holes, stump remover after 3 years, might as well be water.

Read a story on a forum, could have even been here, many beers since then.
Dug out stump, dug deeper, buried it, 20 years later no depression in ground.
I think I'd shovel in air pockets before filling for added insurance

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Drilling holes, stump remover after 3 years, might as well be water.

Read a story on a forum, could have even been here, many beers since then.
Dug out stump, dug deeper, buried it, 20 years later no depression in ground.
I think I'd shovel in air pockets before filling for added insurance
My first paid excavation, I offered to also remove a very old stump also.
I had been confident I remembered it having been cut down about 1970. In my long term memory, it was a pine tree. I was sure 30 years of rotting it'd be effortless to scrape the top off it. WRONG!
I ended up digging all the way around it 8' deep. When it finally came loose, I wasn't able to lift it out of the hole. I left it there, but now 3' lower than it had been. I promised to add topsoil if it settled. That's 20 odd years ago & it hasn't settled yet.
Wood underground seems to last forever. On the mountain a beaver dam took out a culvert when it failed. The road washout was maybe 18 feet deep. The remains of a wooden culvert were exposed 15' below grade. It is at least 120 years old.

ianjoub

That argument doesn't apply for neglect. If a storm blows an otherwise healthy tree over from a neighbor it applies. IF the tree was diseased and the neighbor knows about it before the storm they are liable. Or so I'm told.
In FL, as the tree crosses the property line, it becomes yours. Therefore it is YOUR tree that hit your house, not the neighbors.

hosspuller

In FL, as the tree crosses the property line, it becomes yours. Therefore it is YOUR tree that hit your house, not the neighbors.
There's an exception... A clear hazard like a dead tree is the responsibility of the property owner. I got a neighbor (in Georgia) to remove a dead tree threatening my house with a letter informing him, copied to my insurance company. As I understood the situation, after paying my claim, my insurance company would go after the neighbor for compensation... using my letter as proof he was aware of the hazard.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Had to dig a hole to bury my MIL's old horse.... and of course we just had 3 inches of rain, ( hey ! coulda bin snow!)...and the lower field was a no go. Anyway.... a sloppy dig.... gonna have to bring in some more material.
She took good care of 'Jackson'... herself being 86 no less.... but I would guess no more horses for her..
My old Deere had been sitting ( outside) for awhile.... and being a Deere she needed some help to fire up... but fire she did.

On the house front...... we got 70% painted ( interior) and the heat is on! ( the mini's). Hot water..... and I got what my wonderful wife asked for ( her birthday) and working toilet!!
So, just in the nick of time, we have shut down the camper which has been our house for the last 9 months... and our shacking up in the 'big house' with the cat who has been calling it his home for 3 months. Freeze-up in the camper was just a matter of time.... and are saying goodbye and good riddance to our porta-john.

Sparse furniture... and on an air mattress.... BUT.... the kitchen counters went in today...
...and so now I just roll out of bed and get to work. Guest wing is 1 1/2 coats of mud from primer and paint. Flooring is due in this week... after that we can hang a few doors..... then some finish work!

I can't tell you all how lucky I am to have the lady I have next to me on this adventure..... truly blessed on that front....

....Wishing you all safe digging, and have a Great Christmas...