• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
so I won't be giving up the beast anytime soon!.....
Good!!

Methane ( nat gas) is close by to where I'm at.. but so is muni water and sewer... and we won't be seeing that anytime soon if ever.
Close by me too, but will never come up my road. Just too far for 4 customers, if they all even want it.

Everyone on my block has oil heat. my neighbors all have a propane tank for stoves, etc. One runs a backup generator on propane too.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Anyway, in the sticks there is not a lot of choices and if you like cooking with gas vs. electric than propane is your answer

When I got married, I bought a house withelectric stove. I grew up with gas, so I had a hard time. Told the wife that she may come home one day and find it in the back yard...LOL

Fast foward 37 years, I am still cooking on electric, and am not sure I would go back at this point.

colson04

I live in a rural area as well. There is a residential NG line 2 miles east of me, and 2 miles west of me serving the area, though I will never see NG at my place. I contacted Consumers Energy about hooking up when I built my place. The engineer called me back that afternoon said not going to happen. Both of the shortest routes to my place from their lines cross wetlands/swamp areas. He said there was not enough customers in our stretch to ever recoup the cost of running a line to us. So, electric, oil, propane, or wood.

Propane fluctuates horribly between time of year and supplier. Electric is cost prohibitive during a harsh winter. Nobody puts oil furnaces in new builds. I use an outdoor wood boiler to run a radiant infloor heat system in my house.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
25 years ago they had zero concern about burying a 30" gas line in wetlands.

Made a major, permanent mess of the drainage on my land ( that I didn't own at the time)

It only goes to industrial users even though they are in a small city.

Verno

I'm New to Everything Big Stuff. I purchased a Case 530ck 1964 at Auction for $4500.
Same age as me. The Engine is Tough, commands attention, Rebuilt and painted.
All hydraulic lines have not a lot of rubber left. most don't leak.
Lines are a beast to get off. Even with PBblaster and torch.
One line I hooked chain to wrench and tractor, had girl hold wrench while I used both hands with a dead blow hammer to bust it.
This is some Serious ****!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
A pneumatic chisel with a flat point will do wonders with those old and frozen fittings

Honcho

After a sharp braking, the brake disc broke, while I reached the garage, I also scratched the slots, tomorrow I will rub and restore. Fortunately, I have spare disks and will not stand for a long time. A little earlier I had to replace the high-pressure fuel pump, a crack in the housing cost me $ 800. I took a Chinese duplicate, the original took a long time to wait. Before that, I changed two nozzles for myself, for comparison, I took Bosch from different countries of production, China and Turkey have been working for a long time and without complaints. And I repaired another one with sprayers. Winter is coming I hope nothing will fail me .

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_154312.jpg
    IMG_20231121_154312.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231121_154339.jpg
    IMG_20231121_154339.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

Honcho

VERNO. When you repair the cylinder . The nut that fixes the piston inside the cylinder must be tightened with the necessary force and it is on the thread retainer or lock . If it relaxes during operation and the piston starts to hang out in the cylinder, it will scratch the cylinder walls and all the metal chips will go into the hydraulics system. And even when this nut breaks off inside the cylinder, the equipment that it moves falls down instantly. Be careful with that.

Verno

VERNO. When you repair the cylinder . The nut that fixes the piston inside the cylinder must be tightened with the necessary force and it is on the thread retainer or lock . If it relaxes during operation and the piston starts to hang out in the cylinder, it will scratch the cylinder walls and all the metal chips will go into the hydraulics system. And even when this nut breaks off inside the cylinder, the equipment that it moves falls down instantly. Be careful with that.
Thank You! Mine says 500 Torque in service manual, I read somewhere to also use medium loctite for added insurance.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
When I do the ram bolt, I use red locktite and make sure threads are clean, in and out and heat up rod threads with a map gas torch.
Then when somewhat hot, I run the bolt in with my HF XL Hurricane impact making sure I put oil in it, which increases FT pounds I believe. I wait for compressor to kick back on and make sure to have an indicator on the socket to hammer it home again at highest PSI and see if socket stops moving, while sliding it back and forth on flats.
I occasionally check with 8 ft cheater bar but never seems to go further.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Clearing more trees. Pulled a medium sized pine down on the cab yesterday. Got lucky. It just deflected off the corner and fell to the side. Didn't even break the lights.
I've had 100% success pushing trees with a backhoe. I am careful to only push living trees. If very large, I rip out some of the roots first.

I did have a mishap in 2016 with a bulldozer. I did stupid & pushed a dead white pine 2 feet diameter breast high. Top was gone from a storm years earlier, not a single branch. It took a bit more push than expected & the whipping 50 feet up caused the top 4 feet of trunk to snap off. It landed on the hood & smashed my air cleaner. Lesson learned!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I've had 100% success pushing trees with a backhoe. I am careful to only push living trees. If very large, I rip out some of the roots first.

I did have a mishap in 2016 with a bulldozer. I did stupid & pushed a dead white pine 2 feet diameter breast high. Top was gone from a storm years earlier, not a single branch. It took a bit more push than expected & the whipping 50 feet up caused the top 4 feet of trunk to snap off. It landed on the hood & smashed my air cleaner. Lesson learned!
Yeah I always try to push first. If it doesn't want to come up I pull some roots to one side which is what I was doing when this one decide to give way and fall on top of me.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
It’s going to be warm enough here today to get the Case moving and warm up hyrdraulics and grease everything, just hate to do it before a rain but may not get another chance for a while. Looked at garage and trying to figure out a storage are on side with a shed type roof.
Just can’t wrap my head around the roofline with 2 knee walls on each gable end.
Actually looked for pics and ideas yesterday and found nothing like what I’m thinking.