• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Since my 'unpaid volunteer' assistant is out of town visiting kids, I took the time to screen some fill. This stuff came from next door and has some good topsoil mixed with it.... but also lots of broken shale/rocks. I should be able to feather some of my stashed topsoil on top and have some good final material for grass.
KIMG0835.JPG
My homemade 'grizzly' has seen better days, but still works.... though it is not 'hands free'. Have to use a 2x to shake the screen.
KIMG0834.JPG
The front gable on the 'great room' is covered...
......will be hanging sheetrock this weekend.
KIMG0824.JPG

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
T-town,

Thanks for the update!

Looking real good! Those windows will really make your great room.

Screen is kinda sad, but must have served well judging from the wear. I want to build one someday too, as I have a lot of good soil filled with rocks. I think I will have to use some heavy steel tho, cuz the rocks are large, and I fear would destroy a wood screen.

I was actually able to haul a good amount of dirt last weekend, but with the rain forcast, I dont know if I will get to do any more before the snow flies.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Screen is kinda sad
yeah.... sat for quite awhile.. and I did move it couple weeks back to this spot... but since she started to 'come apart at the seams'. But I have other priorities at the moment.
Glad to hear you got some material moved!!
Not too H2O much fell here today ..... we'll see 'bout overnight/Sunday. There will be dry days ahead.... gotta be... I have to be in this house before winter!
The front windows are the same built-in J channel as the other sliders.. but are cased with PVC trim ( 3/4). Bought it by the sheet and ripped it to what ever width I happen to need. That 'bottom' piece ended up wider than originally thought due to the fact that I would have had to thrown away a lot of 'not cheap' plastic on the 'stone' facade if I brought it up to the window bottoms.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Today was a wood day. Oldest son shares the wood, younger son doesn't want to be left out. Three of us cut 600 cubic feet into 18" long rounds & hauled it 3.5 miles home. We are debating what that will tally in cords by the time dry & piled. I'll let you know.
Late day the brothers went off in search of pine cones as ordered by daughter in law. I engaged in one of my favorite pastimes; pushing trees. I had a 30" Diameter Breast High White Pine, broke off in a storm last spring. It being a "pasture pine" it wasn't very valuable. I hate stumps left behind. Ripped out some roots & pushed it over.
Normally trees are heavy & I push far past vertical, they tip over. This one weighed a lot less than its root ball. Took a lot more than usual to push it over.tree pushing 1.jpgtree pushing 2.jpgtree pushing 1.jpgtree pushing 2.jpgtree pushing three.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Pulling out some more sweetgums
I really do not like sweet gum trees...My next door neighbor, and my neighbor on the other corner have them. I am lucky enough to be picking up the spiked balls by the garbage can full. I am always worried my wife will step on one and go for a ride.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
But I have other priorities at the moment.
Glad to hear you got some material moved!!
Not too H2O much fell here today ..... we'll see 'bout overnight/Sunday. There will be dry days ahead.... gotta be... I have to be in this house before winter!
I gotcha with the priorities. Never enough time!

It was a surprise to me, that it was dry enough. I did have to slop through mud when going back and forth, but I moved the whole pile that my son previously dug out with my new to me, excavator. He did hit a spring tho, and I now have a new pond n my property.

As far as this storm, central NJ got it preaty good, wind and rain. In fact, I lost my cable last night. It is back up this morning tho. If I had to guess, a tree fell on it.

How is the inside coming along? Judging from the outside, you look like you could make it by winter. Is your heating system installed yet? Gotta keep the wife warm!!

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Thumbs up on the 'new' unit.... those come in handy!
As for the pond.... I'll bring a rod and some brew!
Inside.... we are covering walls/ceilings. The cathedral(s) are getting a whitewashed pine tongue and groove.... a little splurge there, but I did not look forward to drywall install/finish on those ceilings.
Just finished hanging the utility room.... so now I get the feed end of my plumbing hooked up, finish with the well materials... hook up the water heater ( hybrid heat pump unit) and ...not the least, install a wall mounted propane fired boiler and the various circ pump(s) and control valves for the radiant heat system.
...all while hanging drywall...
As soon as I get a room with a minisplit finish mudded the heat pumps will provide some heating.... as long as we don't slip into some 'Siberian plunge' too soon.
I'm thinking turkey weekend???

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Speaking of Turkeys - saw this yesterday while me and my pup were out riding the dirt roads in a wilderness reserve.

Nice sized gobbler left that track. Almost as big as my hand and I have big hands.

Was picking my daughter and SIL up from a kayaking, camping trip today and saw several including this one that almost got hit.

turkey1.jpg

aighead

Wow! You guys are getting tons done! Good job!

This weekend I decided against pushing trees (dead/dying honey locust) and ended up trying to extend my driveway width a bit, near the garage, now that my gravel piles are dissipating, should work and we're going to surround that part with big rocks to avoid driving too far into the yard. Then I went out, after the bee guy came out to the field, to finally get to work on the bridge over the creek that hasn't had any water this year. I've got a pretty good trench cut for the two 2'x20' culvert pipes I've got, but T-town's rock screener has now reminded me that I wanted to have that available for this bridge job, as I'm finding tons of good rocks from the creek. We are picking out the best ones we see but the rest will go back into covering the culvert pipes. My rock screener will continue to wait until later, I guess. It's covered with a bunch of lumber that needs to go back into the barn anyway.

The creek trench
20230924_154411.jpg

The pile from the dig
20230924_135452.jpg

The pile and the pipes
20230924_164914.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
he creek trench
20230924_154411.jpg
And you said you didnt have any rocks :)

aighead

We've got some rocks but the bigger-than-a-breadbasket ones aren't in huge supply. This is also, likely, the rockiest part of the yard and the majority of good rocks in the big pile were put in the ground when we built the bridge the last time.

Nick G

Occupation
Former operator, farmer
Planning for winter, when not plowing snow, I'm going to go through the hoe, starting at the bucket, and replace pins and bushings. Bought a solid machine, she's just at that point.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Planning for winter, when not plowing snow, I'm going to go through the hoe, starting at the bucket, and replace pins and bushings. Bought a solid machine, she's just at that point.
Do yourself a big favor & find a dewar & a source for liquid nitrogen. If not that, get dry ice. I've lost track of the numbers, liquid nitrogen is twice as cold (half as warm) as dry ice. A bushing that needs to be pressed in or hammered in with dry ice will slip in freely with liquid nitrogen.