• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
For real, that hole looks great!
Sometimes I do the digging for power lines, other times if an excavation contractor is already on site they dig. Most operators are reasonably good, give me a ditch I can work with, others, not so much! One was a bargain excavation contractor showed up with an ancient P&H machine in VERY poor condition. I've never known if operator or machine fault, ditch was anywhere from 1-1/2 feet deep to 4', width varied 3' to 6'. He left 3' diameter rocks in the ditch. Each scoop of spoils seemed utterly random as to where he dumped it. I spoke to the owner, he got another contractor to clean up the mess & backfill.
No, not every operator is as meticulous.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Septic tank came Friday....
The 'hole' before the tank..
KIMG0784.JPG
... and with the tank..KIMG0793.JPG
Spent this morning running effluent pipe to my dosing tank.
KIMG0795.JPG.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
All connected now...
..the 'in' and the 'out'.
KIMG0797.JPG
KIMG0796.JPG.
Have to have the 'lines' inspected... then the big cover up.
Also wanted to get a couple of the 'polylok' extensions for the access. I seemed to have miscalculated the height of my final grade a bit..... that'll happen ;)

aighead

Well, my hoe is back in action. Moved all the cylinders around a bit but now at higher rpm I have a whine? Is it possible, after sitting for several months, it just needs to get its oil moving? I had it running for maybe half hour, so probably not long enough to really even warm it up...

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Is the whine in the engine or the hydraulics?
You drained the hydraulic tank and had cylinders out, might just have some air left and causing some whine in the hydraulics.

aighead

The whine was in the engine, started maybe around 700 rpm, and increased in volume as I revved up.

It down for 3-4 months of no use, getting cylinders rebuilt then re-installed.

I'm thinking that model NH lb75b doesn't have a turbo on it but maybe it does?

aighead

Oh boy! It feels real good, man.

I just gave her her first workout for several months.

Moved about 15-20 yards of dirt into the barn and knocked over a big dead ash tree stump, then pushed it to the fire pile. Nothing like doing an incredible amount of work in an hour. The hole where the stump came out is already filled in!

Woo!

I didn't realize how much I missed hoeing! Oh yeah, the whine is gone!

20230822_175303.jpg

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
I wish the weather would cooperate. Last week I finally got to do some real work clearing out an existing drainage ditch and extending it to a township drainage run-off. Got the extension half way done - about another thirty feet to go - and we had heavy rains for a couple of days. Can't go back to finish the extension because there's too much water -- go figure. Couple more days yet. Anxious to use the Beast for the very reason I got it in the first place.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Out of the 20 or so on the site, the one we don't care about letting trainees wreck is just getting hot and has to be idled back for a while. Mostly operator thinking he has to run wide open I think. In this 103-107 degree heat, it ain't cutting it. No AC either. Hate that for the op. He's miserable. Had a bout of blowing off rad hoses, but that seems to have stopped when they finally replaced the rad cap. Or so I am told.
We don't dig with it, just load grinders and shredders with green waste and trees.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Was pushing up some bushes and dug a hole to discard some concrete in.

Blew an Air Conditioner hose! :mad:

None of my window latches work so they are all zip tied shut. It gets :mad: HOT :mad: in a hurry in a glass cab at 107 heat index. I bet it hit 120 easy. No way I was going to leave a hole uncovered so I toughed it through and finished up.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Is it a hose that a local shop can make, or is it a NH only type AC hose?
I had all my hoses made custom so I know it can be made. It was too hot to investigate so I just parked it in the barn. I was just relieved it wasn't a blown hydraulic hose.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Nothing visually obvious. I will have to connect the gauges and pressurize it with nitrogen sometime to find the leak. Hopefully the little bit I have left in the tank will be enough so I don't have to get a refill.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Make sure you purchase lots of 134a. It is going to shoot up through the roof in 2024. Government has mandated a 40% decrease in manufacture in 2024.

In my area, Advance Auto has already shot up to $25 a can. I picked up a bunch at Walmart the other day for $10 each. A couple of years ago I picked it up for $5 a can and thought that was crazy.

On another note...The government is currently contimplating restricting the sale of the little homeowner cans for the new 1234YF. This is the refridigerant currently factory filled in most production cars. If you have one of these cars, you may consider purchasing some of this. NOTE: it aint cheap!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I had all my hoses made custom so I know it can be made. It was too hot to investigate so I just parked it in the barn. I was just relieved it wasn't a blown hydraulic hose.
Someday I may investigate why mine doesnt hold a charge. When I purchased it, the seller told me it didnt work. I charged it, it worked beautifully. Not long afterwords it went flat, and has been for years now.

You are lucky to have a shop that can make up the hoses for you. Hard to find a shop that will do that in my area:(