• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Thanks guys.....
looks like tractor supply has a possibility or two... am thinking a fan forced unit..." torpedo" style ( Oh.. just looked up that salamander style)... same

Anyway....Mother nature dealt with her earlier spit of the white stuff by raining on it, and did a good job of clearing the driveways..so I did not have to "get out the shovel"

Last edited:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Anyway....Mother nature dealt with her earlier spit of the white stuff by raining on it, and did a good job of clearing the driveways..so I did not have to "get out the shovel"

Good to hear...I am heading up tonight and was wondering if I was going to be able to get in the driveway.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
We are @ 1400ft or so....had some on the ground from a couple days ago plus the 1 or 2 yesterday..... nothing on the ground here today..... some across the way at 1800 to 2000.
\I think you might be ok....

colson04

Thanks guys.....
looks like tractor supply has a possibility or two... am thinking a fan forced unit..." torpedo" style ( Oh.. just looked up that salamander style)... same

I've used both types of torpedo heaters, kerosene fired and propane fired. The kerosene/diesel ones are great and have high BTU capability, but their emissions require a drafty space so you don't get CO poisoning. They also tend to puff a touch of black smoke on flame up/flame out. I own a propane torpedo heater now. It works quite well, is very portable, and doesn't have the emissions problems of Diesel or Kerosene. My kerosene heater was 225,000 BTU. My propane one is only 65,000 BTU. You notice the difference quick when trying to heat a drafty space.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I've used both types of torpedo heaters, kerosene fired and propane fired. The kerosene/diesel ones are great and have high BTU capability, but their emissions require a drafty space so you don't get CO poisoning. They also tend to puff a touch of black smoke on flame up/flame out. I own a propane torpedo heater now. It works quite well, is very portable, and doesn't have the emissions problems of Diesel or Kerosene. My kerosene heater was 225,000 BTU. My propane one is only 65,000 BTU. You notice the difference quick when trying to heat a drafty space

Colson04 said it much better than I.

I didn't know that the propane torpedo heaters were safe indoors.

If power is an issue, the propane heater like I posted can work without power...really didn't think to ask if you have the power connected yet.

aighead

The little grill tank top mounted mr. heater propane heaters are insane hot if you are just trying to have a small space warmed up. The tanks get a bit spendy as they'll run through in about 15 hours... but they put off good, hot heat pretty much immediately and are easy to start and stop.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Colson04 said it much better than I.

I didn't know that the propane torpedo heaters were safe indoors.

If power is an issue, the propane heater like I posted can work without power...really didn't think to ask if you have the power connected yet.
I'm willing to bet that either propane or oil worksite heaters will come with safety instructions to not use in an enclosed space.
Truth is both convert oxygen to CO & CO2. Without enough ventilation, you get asphyxiated. All that said, propane heaters are more complete burners. Less residue pollutes the air compared to oil burners.
I've used both, but in a different way.
Propane heaters are usually radiant. I can aim a heater at my body, it makes me feel less cold even though the space I'm in is 10 degrees F.
Oil fired torpedo heaters are air heaters. No need to aim them at you & you'd find it unpleasant to aim it at yourself.

I had a 205,000 BTU oil heater. It didn't last very long. It would heat an uninsulated house. I always turned it off after half hour because it stunk!!!! I would use it along with a 140,000 BTU wood furnace to warm the garage before a day of working there. I couldn't tolerate the odor of it all day. Day I bought it was near zero. We were working on a new 2000 square foot house with no heat at all. They did have a wood heating system rated 80,000 BTU. The wood available was mostly snow & it had been living only weeks before. First hour in the house was coaxing wood to burn at all. The oil heater wasn't bad with all the eaves open, plenty of ventilation.

joe--h

They also put out a lot of moisture, not something you want in new construction.

Joe H

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Winter seems to be here one day... gone the next.... then back for a bit!
With there being no depth to any frozen moisture in the ground.... I ran my "feeder" electric line up to the build. About 250' of 2 1/2" conduit. I was opening the trench in an uphill direction.... and the sloppiness of the ground caused me to start to slip when moving uphill..... the ground I was trenching thru had been purposely left 'unfinished'... so, I had to lock the rear, pull out, and reposition on the perpendicular.
Finished the run... covered with bedding sand and screened fill..... also have a a communication conduit and a 3/4 water line added in.
Pics show the trench with conduit and bedding sand..... then covered with a warning tape near the top. Only a rough surface grade on the upslope..... round the house we did an 'almost' final grade. On the house shot the trench was center pic, straight into the house crawl space.
KIMG0658.JPG KIMG0659.JPG KIMG0662.JPG KIMG0667.JPG

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Other pics...
.KIMG0668.JPG KIMG0666.JPG
The trench came straight ( a relative term ;) ) up the hill, under the cones in the pic and with 2 45's made a left turn and into the house ( prev pics)

The outside work is done for now...soffit supports and bird boxes finished while it was warm! I am starting to run drain/waste lines inside. Once they are in the electric rough-in. I still need to bust thru the rear foundation with the sewer line... and get my septic tank delivered and dig a hole for that....so I still need the 'old girl' to give me some more hours.
KIMG0669.JPG

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
You put a water line in the same trench as electrical?
They won’t let us do that around here.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I still need the 'old girl' to give me some more hours.

She will pull thru!:D:D

Looking great!

I was about to PM you and ask how you were making out. This has been an awesome winter for your work. Mostly not cold, and no huge piles of snow to create spring mud season.

Thanks for the update!

T-town

Occupation
retired !
They won’t let us do that around here.

As long as you maintain a listed distance between the two. My conduit is covered with at least 12" of bedding sand.. then I ran the two other lines. 1 1/4" and a 3/4" black poly. The larger line is for any possible comm lines..... cable/phone..... and the smaller is so I can get some seasonal water down the hill... i.e. garden etc, That would need to be drained ( gravity) come winter.
I figured since the trench was open I should put them in.

This has been an awesome winter for your work.
Yes indeed..... bad for the ski areas.... but that should be expected in the Mid Atlantic...

We might be getting some white stuff this week but its been a great winter to get things done..... though that wasn't my original timeline.
High school spring sports begin practice in a week so warmer days ahead!