• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I worked with hydraulic oil every day for years. My employer supplied nitril gloves, but I found that I sweat in them so profusely that my fingers would slip around inside the gloves and I did not have the ability to grab properly. So, I would start the job with the gloves on, and not 20 min later, I would be ripping them off cuz I couldn't stand it any more. That said, I do try to wear them when greasing the hoe, but sometimes I don't even make it thru till I cant stand it, and off they come.:eek::eek:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My sons have the perfect answer. Dad greases too often, no grease needed for the next 1000 hours. I get a bit militant when I see them heading for the backhoe. My rule: If you are going to use it, grease it.

I've owned five OLD hoes thus far into life. Most hadn't been greased regularly. ALL until now, I've replaced bushings. It isn't fun. It is VERY expensive. My present hoe is freshest I've owned, 2000 hours, & no evidence the hoe was used at all. The hoe is tight, I aim to keep it tight.

Bote

I'll give my machine a good cleaning every month or so during the summer. For the grease fittings I have the following ritual: 1. I use these plastic scrapers from Amazon to get the excess grease off. 2. spray diesel on the fittings 3. blow the fittings with compressed air.

The scrapers have a flat end for removing grease blobs and a pointed end for cleaning recessed fittings. They are five bucks for a four-pack. https://a.co/d/gwOznE6

aighead

I like those Bote. I was using one of those 5 in 1 scrapers then ruined a spatula from the kitchen but those look like they'd be much better with the tight spaces. Oh yeah, after tightening up some zerks I've managed to lose my ratchet! Maybe it's still on the hoe, I didn't feel like walking back out to check several times...

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
I went to my buddies house on the other side of the valley Sunday. He had a narrow 1 truck driveway. Spent around 5 hours there making it so he can now park 6 trucks. He’s roughly 1,000’ above the valley floor. 23B2EEA1-D13E-445B-BAAC-30D6D8F9DE34.jpeg 31965A86-0DD1-44DB-80E8-8292D273F7AB.jpeg 1FC17583-20C0-4DC6-9FCE-46DBCC561EF6.jpeg 133169FF-AEF1-4B0B-A052-9C69240298CA.jpeg

Bote

Watched a CTL work in places too soft for her big butt. Afterward, she did a great job of clearing snags and testing the new road built up by the CTL.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Dug up a double stump. White pine. When I put her in drive I popped a little wheelie! Lost the shuttle function briefly today but luckily it was just a blown fuseView attachment 264506
Yeah, I've got annoyed with myself for not having foresight to pick up a couple boulders before picking up a stump. Wheelies aren't all that much fun.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
I did have a bucket full when I picked this up...so no wheelie. One of 4 pulled..cut down last year

KIMG0464.JPG

... and the 'big dig' that will be my crawl space ( more of a stoop space!) has a nice footer and 2000 block stacked waiting for the masons....
KIMG0467.JPG

The fella that dropped those had a deft hand when it came to setting them.... all with a hoist that hung from a cable pulley. Lots of motion there!
KIMG0460.JPG

We will be building the sand mound in the next week.....( another 1st for me) ... getting the material delivered and staged.... the inspector needs to stop by and have a peek before I "chisel" the top 6 inches prior to spreading the sand. Spreading about 100 yds of sand ( special sand mind you !) then some 2b on top... the pipe, and more 2b, and topped with a foot of fill. I'm not sure how the machine will do with the 'reach' across the site. They do not want you on the downhill side of the mound with the machine at all. Might be some hand work for me.....

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
T-town,
Wow, looking awesome! Thanks for the update!