• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Swetz, I guess it's time for a front facing camera. Some of the ideas I have read are the use of a cordless tool battery adapter and magnetic mount on a wireless camera. A good one with monitor will cost almost as much as your forks.

That's a hellofabuy on the forks.

T-Town,
I never gave a thought of my machine stalling in the fire. I don't suspect I could break the habit of feeding the fire with the tractor though. It makes the task so much easier. I recon I best keep a close eye on my little fuel filter.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Great job Swetz !! Those should work fine for ya....
...my clamp-ons do a job but they are a pain.... and all my weight is on the bucket edge and my curl cylinder rod ends are stressed.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I guess it's time for a front facing camera.

That sure would work, but your right, would cost a bit. I may look into it in the future tho. It may be helpful for when I am hitching to a trailer too, when not being used with the forks.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
You have to make sure it's for forward facing so they're not reversed

Awesome info,nova481. NH575E actually said that, but I don't know enough about these cameras to know, but it makes perfect sense. With that in mind, it wouldn't work for both a forward camera and a backup camera...darn, wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I just bought a backup camera that had an option to cut a wire for forward facing. You could just put a switch on the wire to reverse it.

Some have the option built into the monitor.

I won't recommend the one I bought because it has a super wide angle.

aighead

Those look great Swetz, and a good price. I've come very close to throwing a grand away for the Titan, since my clamp-ons are already bent up.

You'll have to let us know how you like them.

What about something like those pylons they use in the road sometimes? Or something like the long flag poles you see on recumbent bikes. I wonder if you could get something that could be mounted vertically in the ends of your forks that would fold back towards the operator when they engage a pallet... Camera seems easier.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I just bought a backup camera that had an option to cut a wire for forward facing. You could just put a switch on the wire to reverse it.

More good info, thanks!

Those look great Swetz, and a good price. I've come very close to throwing a grand away for the Titan, since my clamp-ons are already bent up.

You'll have to let us know how you like them.

What about something like those pylons they use in the road sometimes? Or something like the long flag poles you see on recumbent bikes. I wonder if you could get something that could be mounted vertically in the ends of your forks that would fold back towards the operator when they engage a pallet... Camera seems easier.

I was looking at Titan as well as some others, and when these came along, it was an easy decision.

I love my Craigslist finds...cannot seem to get Marketplace to work for me tho?? It is like I am invisible. No one responds when I tell them I want to buy something??

I also have the bolt-on set for my small tractor. They work, but not for pallets of pavers! Still cannot see them either.

For now, the quick fix is to only use them when I have another set of eyes to guide me. If that doesn't work out too well, I will look into a camera as NH575E suggested.

I was very anxious to get the mounts welded on, just in case I need them, however, I really do not see any need in the near future (at least till spring). I may even revisit the mounts that I welded on. I may gusset them, but for now I have them on, and if needed I could use them.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I know what you mean about marketplace. Flake city. I have recently purchased a boat and a cultivator off it. The boat guy was super flakey and liar extraordinare. I did get a decent deal on both.

I also bought a 6 ft box blade with the rippers for 200 bucks off Craigslist last Sunday. I can't believe I got that deal.

Even more surprising I got both implements to fit my cat 1 quick hitch with minor adjustments.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My hoe just got forked...
View attachment 250922
No, really:D.
View attachment 250923
I even gave her a can of NH grey @ like $15.00 a can.
View attachment 250925
Had to open up the mounting brackets a tad tho. This setup had a 2 1/4" bar and all I could fine were 2" and smaller. So, I took them to my bandsaw , then smoothed out with a carbide burr.
View attachment 250927

All said and done, I am into them about $200. I really do not like that I cannot see the forks, however, I like less the prospect of having to unload pavers by hand and then carrying them only to unload again. So, these should do the trick. The Craigslist guy that I bought them from, used them to move pavers around for his landscaping company.
I've got to go look! Those look to be mine!
The hooks I had on my last Case were OK. This machine wants to have the bucket face down on the ground to use the backhoe, so I'm thinking three receivers, I can pin the hooks in.

Do you happen to know who built your forks?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I've got to go look! Those look to be mine!

LOL, I hope not...long ride to VT:eek:.

I read the instructions online for several brands. All wanted them mounted close to the lip on the front bucket. 2 things stopped me from doing that. 1. I have a lifting hook in the middle of the bucket, and close meant removing. 2. the upper lip is set back from the bottom lip, and to be level the the bucket would have to be nearly dumping. I settled on where they are at.

I would like to see some pics if you do come up with the receivers, and it works. Would surly allow the bucket to plant face down...Might be hard to install tho??

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
LOL, I hope not...long ride to VT:eek:.

I read the instructions online for several brands. All wanted them mounted close to the lip on the front bucket. 2 things stopped me from doing that. 1. I have a lifting hook in the middle of the bucket, and close meant removing. 2. the upper lip is set back from the bottom lip, and to be level the the bucket would have to be nearly dumping. I settled on where they are at.

I would like to see some pics if you do come up with the receivers, and it works. Would surly allow the bucket to plant face down...Might be hard to install tho??
I don't think hard. My bucket has square tube horizontal along the top edge. Set them on, weld.
The hooks might take a bit of torch work.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Worked in a light drizzle today..... some winter??

Had to make a "right turn" on that electric service....
Did not realize that by feeding the meter from underground, I was limiting the location my load side runs to the adjacent panels/disconnects.
The utility will not allow any cables to be crossed ( line/load)..... so my initial install had to be taken apart..
KIMG0337.JPG
My load runs would have 180'd around the bottom of the meter base and then split left and right to top feed the panels.
My underground conduit runs from this 'rack' are set so the orientation of the panels could not be changed....
So this is what I came up with.. Bottom right corner of the meter box is the only place I can run from.
KIMG0347.JPG front ( business side) KIMG0348.JPG back..
the conduit bodies dang near bankrupted me :( Shame to have to not use all that space on the topside of the meter box.
Have to drop in the 4" run underground to the future pad transformer..... which is a short run( 2 sections) thank goodness ... and run the cable between the boxes.( 4/0 Al)

Clawed Backster

Clearing more brush.

Blew the hose to the lift side of the boom. Had to run to the next county to get one made at closing time. Gave the guy a $30 tip for waiting for me and working a few minutes late.

View attachment 251052
Gotta love those blown hoses.
I have been replacing mine one at a time as they fail.
My machine is old, and so are all of the hoses (at least the ones I've yet to replace).
I really need to replace all of the ones where they come out of the control valves, as a couple of them are leaking a little already.

colson04

Gotta love those blown hoses.
I have been replacing mine one at a time as they fail.
My machine is old, and so are all of the hoses (at least the ones I've yet to replace).
I really need to replace all of the ones where they come out of the control valves, as a couple of them are leaking a little already.

I'm fighting the same fight. The rear hoe controls have some seeping hoses, and I think the valve block might be seeping between sections too. I need to pull it apart, get new hoses made, and possibly re-seal the valve body. I'm not too keen on tearing it all apart just yet though.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Andy, (an extra son, no genetic relation) had seen his grandfather's backhoe years earlier. He had a sentimental attachment to it. He bought it after his grandfather died. It proved to be rough beyond what he thought. The swing tower was destroyed! Worn past the bushings, it all dropped down & deformed the bottom of the swing tower. We welded massive amounts of TIG to build it up to where it could be machined. Andy taught himself to line bore it, built his own rig. We spent several hundred in parts, motor & drive line to revive a big old lathe I had bought years earlier, to make his parts. He had dabbled in lathe work in high school.
A complete set of new hoses cost near the value of the Ford 4500.
He's got more invested than he should, but has a functional backhoe.

aighead

You guys have been doing stuff! Nice! If only it was stuff that wasn't kind of a pain in the butt...

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
the conduit bodies dang near bankrupted me

Exactly what I was thinking as I looked at your pics. The good news is once you get over the initial ouch, you will forget when it all works correctly, and, the utility gives it their blessing:).

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Blown hoses...You know, I have worked on equipment (mostly aerial lifts and diggers for a utility company...some backhoes too) for over 35 years, and never saw the number of hoses blow that are being discussed here. In fact, I built a log splitter 25 years ago that was made from the hoses that were stripped from a aerial lift (bucket truck) before we scrapped it. So, these hoses were about 20 years old 25 years ago, and have never had one blow.

To me, this is interesting.

On my full size backhoe that is a little over 20 years old, a hose suddenly just started leaking as the tractor was running (wouldn't say blown as it was just dripping). I replaced it ASAP.

On my smaller tractor with a loader, one day I started it and raised the front bucket, and I noticed that oil was leaking out through the rubber, mid-length on the hose. I made up a hose, and went back to install. After I installed the hose, as I was testing, another hose on the same side of the loader began to do the same. Off to make another hose.

The point of this is that I cannot wrap my hands around what is making these hoses leak. One could reason that perhaps it is the motion that the hoses go through on a backhoe vs an aerial lift or digger, but the hoses I have replaced did not fail where they bend under use...hmmm!

Prolly thinking too hard on this...LOL

I have been purchasing the flat face O-ring fittings a little at a time for the various ends on my full size backhoe. It is 20 years old now, so I figure I will blow one from time to time.