• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats the steepest slope?

WesternStar

Not all that steep, but heres a couple pics from work today. :drinkup

Attachments

• pics1 113.jpg
    pics1 113.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • pics1 114.jpg
    pics1 114.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,260

kmfcap

So what is the best dozer for steep slopes? Are they all roughly the same. I'm looking at a d5n xl or lgp for recutting some old fire roads. Are these the best for small trails on steep hillsides?

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
I would look around for a Deere 700H or 700J Long Track, depending on your budget. Ideal would be a LGP frame with 24" grousers, nice wide stance and easy to clean between the tracks and frame, plus a little extra HP. A ripper would be nice to.
Those Deere dozers have power to both tracks with full power turns, very low center of gravity. Hydro Transmission with infinite speed. IMHO

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
yeah i think any john deere dozer is far better for steep slopes than any cat dozer...like he said low ceter of gravity and wide stance

KY Jim

Occupation
Heavy Equipment hauler, Dozer operator
Gasfield, that's the kind of slopes I'M used to. We're the guys who cut all the vegetation off and shove it down BEFORE the Big Iron comes in. So steep you can't crawl /climb up on hands and knees. Yo-yo a MUST. I don't like pushing off highwalls much. Over fifty feet looks WAY too high!
KY Jim

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
yeah i have watched guys do that, they take 650's off stuff so steep a squirrel has to turn around and back up it

Wild Pete

Ridin' the Rough Stock

Oorrrr More Than 8 Seconds of Hell!!! I finally got all the info together. This is a testament as to how steep the will not operate.

My neighbor is quite fearless as he rode the rough stock (bulls) in his younger years. This was a ride that he was lucky to survive.

He has spent the last couple of years clearing his ranch of the heavy brush and trees that infests our our neck of the woods. An 85% to 90% (1st pic)reduction in cover will open up the land for cow feed and will increase the water that occurs naturally in our streams. My place will probably get a 50% reduction in the brush and tree population.

Anyway in late April, things were starting to dry out and he headed for a north hillside to start in a new area. On this day he was on the D6C 10K, an early one, without turbo, but an angle blade and rippers. From what I understand, he was backing up a steep hill to prep for another pass when the right track slipped out from under him either a rock or mud. The tractor turned 45 degrees to the left and started to roll over on the right idler. Those that were there and witnessed the aftermath said that he rolled at least 10 revolutions, maybe more and traveled in excess of 200 yards. In pic 2 I have traced the line that it rolled. Pic 3 shows the trail that the D6 rolled down looking up. Notice the dead log lying on the ground. That will give you an idea of the degree of slope that this took place on. Pic 4 and 5 show the D6 at its final resting place.
The aftermath? He was unhurt though sore as he was in his seat belt. It is a wonder that a limb or rock didn't join him in the house and beat him to death. Though badly damaged/destroyed, the canopy held. Track frames, tracks are OK. One top roller was broken off. It took about 8 hours to pioneer a road in and build a pad to roll the 6 on to. After letting it sit for a couple of days to let the oil drain back they started it and drove it out. Had he rolled twice more, he would have gone of a 50 ft cliff. 2 Days later he was back on his D6H working the seep stuff.

All this took place on the property adjacent to my house and about 1/4 mile away.

Casey

Attachments

• IMG_4443.JPG
    IMG_4443.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 514
  • fall-path.jpg
    fall-path.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 505
  • trail1.jpg
    trail1.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 515
  • dozer1.jpg
    dozer1.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 518
  • dozer2.jpg
    dozer2.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 516

Hendrik

When Mother nature fights back.
Does he cross his cattle with mountain goats or something?
Perhaps they are trained mountaineers?
Cow tipping anyone?
Seriously though, why didn't he drop his rippers when he started to feel it slide? If I was mad enough to back up such a slope I would have the rippers half a foot off the ground and my hand resting on the ripper control.