• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's the "starting aid" switch on IT14g?

farmboyJD

Just bought a Cat IT14g. Theres a rocker switch on the left side of the steering wheel, and a glow plug rocker switch on the right side of the steering wheel. No starting fluid installation that I can find. What does the "Starting Aid" switch do?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This one you mean.? A mechanical means of activating the glow plugs. They should also be activated automatically by the electronics in cold ambient temperatures. Despite the fact that switch is there you may find the engine is not equipped with glow plugs. Some models weren't.

upload_2023-2-11_13-40-9.png

farmboyJD

Thanks. If that's the glow plugs, what is the switch on the right side of the steering wheel? When the key is turned on, the loader makes a noise for about 10 seconds, and the rocker switch lights up. The switch can also be pressed, and it make the same noise. I thought that was the glow plugs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Thanks. If that's the glow plugs, what is the switch on the right side of the steering wheel? When the key is turned on, the loader makes a noise for about 10 seconds, and the rocker switch lights up. The switch can also be pressed, and it make the same noise. I thought that was the glow plugs.
it sounds as though you don't have an Operation & Maintenance Manual. A genuine one is not expensive, about $50 to download. Post your Serial Number to identify the correct manual and I can walk you through the process.

JPV

Our 928 has the same switch, it manually triggers the grid heater for 30 seconds. The light on the switch should come on for 30 seconds when you press it if it is like the 928. It does not automatically do it for you and I am not sure why, just the way they set it up. Our D-6N does it automatically and also has the switch to do it manually. An operators manual will tell you.