• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats the craziest thing you have dug up?

Gambler

A German Luger. no body. no money. put it in the sand blast cabinet was hoping wasn't a round in the chamber

Attachments

• DSC01943.JPG
    DSC01943.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,102

Dualie

I don't know that it's all that crazy, but today, I dug up a,... Uh... I dug up one of these:

without seeing the the thing from the flat it looks like a king pin attachment for a wrecker. You can attach two chains and slide it over the king pin of a tractor trailer to tow it with the tow bar.

They can also be used to attach two winch lines to one single point of attachment on what ever your trying to winch out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
On a recent dirt job we were moving a stockpile of material and filling a temporary retention pond. The stockpile of material was on an adjacent lot and included spoils from the foundation of the shopping center that is located in the same development.

I was on the dozer spreading the lifts. As the material was being spread, I picked out automobile A/C lines, a broken aluminum wheel and other misc car parts. I thought is was all junk until I pushed a chunk of body panel out that said "Civic".:cool:

Don't know the story on the little car nor found anything else substantial like an engine, trans or frame.:beatsme But the aluminum wheel will become beer cans...:D

DMC

While installing a water line between 2 trailers in a park I dug into a tree that was down about 10 feet under a layer of sand that was compresses during the ice age. The tree was about 18 inch in dia where I dug into it and it ran both ways under the 2 trailers so we could not dig it up.It could have been 30-40 feet long. In this area we don't have tree this size. It wasn't rotten, it look like someone had just took the bark of the tree and buried it there.Should have cut a sample off of it.

Winch Cat

Occupation
Recovery and haulage of equipment (and vehicles).
without seeing the the thing from the flat it looks like a king pin attachment for a wrecker. You can attach two chains and slide it over the king pin of a tractor trailer to tow it with the tow bar.

They can also be used to attach two winch lines to one single point of attachment on what ever your trying to winch out.

I thought the same thing at first, but I do not believe that it is a king pin plate. The hole looks too square, not keyhole shaped. The shackles on the ends of the chain, as well as the wear on the links of the chain, suggest that they have seen a fair amount of abrasive wear leading me to think that this came from a dragline bucket as previously suggested.

JGibson

Haven't dug up anything too intresting, hit wires and things that before. found a neighbors leech field that was intruding on another property once.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
An oldy revisited I see,sure I posted years ago but what the hell,have nothing better to do at the moment:

1.Part of the big boy---the skull of the youngest mastodon ever found on the planet

2.bottles,bottles---more bottles

3.horse,cattle bones

4.old cars-trucks

5.an existing active leach field directly below one that I was installing

6.old timbers,abandoned cisterns,cesspools,redneck drywells,etc.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In 1998 while tearing down a old Ford dealership and excavating for a hospital we dug out 7 completely worn out track chains for D8 sized cats. There was also over a hundred smashed grease barrels buried there. A little research discovered that it was the machine yard for a long gone dirt outfit that was building the freeway at the time. We chased the garbage quite a ways to get it all out as it was 200 ft off the shore of Lake Michigan.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
A few years back I found a steel wagon wheel while cleaning the mud out of a stock pond. There was an abandoned house next to the pond that dated back to the 1880's. During my time in the Army I managed to windrow up a WWII anti-tank mine, that was buried in the middle of a rifle range road. Good times....

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I know where you can dig up a couple boxcars... And a very large and heavy counterweight from a mining shovel that fell off a truck lol. I'm real good at finding waterlines that they didn't know were there also found a 30 pair phone line that wasn't marked properly.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
The one I forgot to mention.....Found a 36" water line with a D8. It emptied the million gallon water tank it was attached to, in a hurry.

tylermckee

Demoing an old garage once I Dug up the remains of a body, Based off dental records they were able to figure out it was an old unsolved missing person case. Garage was under construction around the same time of the dissapearance, they couldn't find any connection so it's still unsolved. It was under the garage slab about 3' down.

TrentNz

I know theres a D11 buried in a salt lake somewhere. Boss went bust and ripped employees off so they used the 2nd d11 to doze a slot and parked the first one in it and buried her up. Still there apparently although with the salt i doubt theres much left.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Demoing an old garage once I Dug up the remains of a body, Based off dental records they were able to figure out it was an old unsolved missing person case. Garage was under construction around the same time of the dissapearance, they couldn't find any connection so it's still unsolved. It was under the garage slab about 3' down.

Damn.:eek: Now that's creepy.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
My dad dug up a bundle of rattle snakes in the winter once. His hand decided he would pour gas on them and lite it. Nothing like snakes that are warm and on fire to close a site down!

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
120mm artillery shells. I was digging for pier footings in Picatinny Arsenal in Rockaway, NJ, had a brand news Dynahoe 190 backhoe, paint still on the bucket, they were the result of a explosion in 1927.
No explosions but a lot of excitement none the less...