• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's The Chances?

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
I wont give up :) givin up isn't in my blood haha. When I got my mind set on something it's pretty hard to divert me to something else. I'm pretty stubborn ***.

Oriden that was quick. Already finished HEO school? Haha. You said you had an interview, what type of things will you be doing if hired by this company? If you don't mind me asking of course haha.

Deerehauler, I dunno about relocating . . I love Maine . . However if a state happened to have a lot of horses and horse lovers and lots of barns and things that would help my decision a good bit haha. I'm a horse nut so anywhere that has horses would be like home to me :D.

Deerehauler

I've been to Maine and it is a pretty state. You would definitely miss the trees. In your part of the world there are acres of trees interrupted by small clearings with houses or villages. Here there is lots of grass and farmground interrupted by creeks with trees.

The thing I like about this area is the distance that you can see. In the spring and early summer we have quite a few thunderstorms. I enjoy watching a thunderhead form 150 miles away, watching it build as it comes closer. By the time the thunderstorm is upon you, the sky is completely covered, demonstrating the enormity of the storm and the smallness of man.

At night from the right vantage point you can see the light of several town, particularly their high radio towers.

We have lots of people into horses. A group of people built a HUGE roping area (Kiplinger Arena, McCook NE) recently. Every weekend there are roping events, cutting events, and team penning contests. My youngest daughter is into horses so we went to watch them work. In the Sandhills, north of North Platte, there are a lot a ranches. These are huge (several thousand acres) operations, and a lot of the work is done on horseback. Google cowboy poet R.P. Smith--he gives a good description of cowboy life in the Sandhills--it is the life he and his family live.

Good luck with any decisions you make!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
In the spring and early summer we have quite a few thunderstorms. I enjoy watching a thunderhead form 150 miles away, watching it build as it comes closer. By the time the thunderstorm is upon you, the sky is completely covered, demonstrating the enormity of the storm and the smallness of man.
And then it turns into a tornado!!!:eek2

Deerehauler

And after the tornado passes, most of the time there is little damage. Rarely will a large one hit like the F5 at Greensburg, KS. However, when it happens, they need HEOs to clean everything up.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
i dont mind.
i did a 8 week school (grader,excavator, dozer, backhoe) then a week for the AZ, all done the school started in jan, im all done just making up a few hours on a couple machines as they went down for repairs but i got my papers.

this company has jobs all over my area, they do every thing HEO related new home construction ,demo, indust, and comerical. they have 3 large subdivisions going on right now all in different stages, then they have some other work booked for the summer, the recission is not aprent in my area as the projects are plentiful.
they are looking at me for either a junior hoe operator or a dozer operator. i got this because i did what i suggested, ive been nocking on doors since before i even started school, im also seeing another company on monday but they hire alot of the school guys any ways.
ask your collage to see if they have compaines that are familiar with the school, they are the better shots.

JS82

heo girl,i also started out as a labor i worked hard because i knew i did not want to labor the rest of my life,soon i was moved to labor foreman which gave me time to watch the operators,see how they were moving the material,i would look trough the windows to see what was going on in the cab,i talked to the operators asked a bunch of questions and when they parked at lunch i would jump on it and get a fill for it.you may feel stupid with everyone watching but if you keep at it and you have the natural ability soon it just kind of comes to ya,so one day this guy doesn't show and they need some one to load the trucks from that day on i was in a seat,you may start out on rollers or skid steers but it will teach you grading ability.as for the math you will use it daily,to this day with 25 yrs of operating exp,i will still labor if that's what it takes to get the job done or to keep a paycheck coming home.sorry for the long post.

I also have a long story behind this. i started out as a laborer when i was 19. i thought it was a good idea to start out on the ground so as an operator i would know what its like shoveling that bucket of dirt. when a lot of operators dont care because "thats your job to shovel!" but other operators that have been laborers before know what its like and help you out. but my uncle got me started when he first upgraded from operator to foreman and 9 years later hes some "operations manager" and along the line he has brought me with him company to company he has worked for because i am a good worker, show up on time EVERY day sick or not, not taking time off for small things. and it didnt take me long to start running rollers, water trucks, loaders and some of the simple stuff but we have recently gone union and i bug all my super intendants, foreman and even my uncle still to get me in the operators union(the big bucks) and none of them will do it. so needless to say after 9years im still a laborer, but they still ask me to fill in when an operator doesnt show up and pay me laborer wages and i do it just to keep my job. :pointhead so if you can try to prove from early on as a laborer you can and want to be an operator or you might just be their laborer with special privilages forever. haha but it is very good idea to get ground experience first. you realize how stupid people are by walking behind equipment without making eye contact with a operator without being the unexperienced operator and maybe running someone over and stuff like that.