• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's the best way to face to avoid throwing a track on a steep hill

CatKC

I would like opinions on the best way to avoid throwing a track while working on a steep hill or side of a creek or ditch.
Specifically, is it best to back down with the sprockets first or drive down with the idler/tensioner in the front and sprockets in the back.

skyking1

sprocket downhill, always. If you go the other way, you can jump teeth and generally have a bad day.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
See attached may be worth a thought.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• GI Track derailer sheilds.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The UH series Hitachi's operator manual stated " always travel with the idler at the front, dig over the sprockets ". For several reasons it was good advice. It keeps the chain tight under the machine so even when the tracks wear they won't bow as much and pop off the idler. It takes a lot of the jerkiness out the digger in hard digging as all the idler components including the tension springs aren't working overtime. It doesn't wear out the track chains as fast. A Cat service manager explained to me 2/3rds of track wear happens when reversing.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I would like opinions on the best way to avoid throwing a track while working on a steep hill or side of a creek or ditch.
Specifically, is it best to back down with the sprockets first or drive down with the idler/tensioner in the front and sprockets in the back.

Mini-ex or full size machine?

keif

With my mini I like to keep blade side downhill so I can use it to level the machine and work. When going back up the incline I use the bucket to assist by pulling me up instead of just using the tracks.

CatKC

sprocket downhill, always. If you go the other way, you can jump teeth and generally have a bad day.

That' what I thought. If the idler is downhill it would take tension off the track.
Thanks for all the opinions.
I'm old and think I know everything :D but I'm still willing to learn more from those with knowledge and experience.

CatKC

dig over the sprockets ". It keeps the chain tight under the machine so even when the tracks wear they won't bow as much and pop off the idler.It takes a lot of the jerkiness out the digger in hard digging as all the idler components including the tension springs aren't working overtime. It doesn't wear out the track chains as fast. .
Very Good points. . . . Thank you.

skyking1

yes the mini with blade thing does swap it around. I was thinking bigger steel tracks and that was what the OP did have, by pure coincidence. I do love the self leveling features of a blade machine :)