• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

whats the best 1980s backhoe for the money

NJfarmer

Occupation
Elec. Tech
Case310350,
I own a double cylinder boom and never had problems when digging. My two cents, Case is one of the better hoes out there, and Hydro trany, cluching all day tires you out.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I'll toss in amother vote for the Deere 310c or 410c.
A friend has a 310c 4x4 turbo, 89 vintage, currently pushing 8000hrs. He's the second owner, I'm also friends with the original owner and have ran the machine since new.
It's had some major work done to it (trans & rearend) but it's all been because of operator error and abuse, not poor design. The rear valves need a rebuild and the cab floor is due to be replaced. Bucket linkage is due for pins and bushings. The extendable dipper is overdue for a rebuild also.
This machine has spent most of it's life doing septic fields, shes carried a 36" bucket on the hoe most often. It was also eqipped since new with oversize rubber from a 510 machine, it floats pretty good on soft ground and sand.
The worst I can say about it is cold weather starting, in single digit temps, not gonna happen without heat.
You do need to look out for the machine going into 4x4 by mistake, Deere put a handle through the floor to engage & disengage. Down is 4x4, it's easy to hit the handle with your foot and lock it in by accident, not good when roading the machine on asphalt. Easily solved by putting a block of wood under the handle to hold it up.

Ed

firestarter

Occupation
engineer (energy from waste)
Caterpillar all the way i hope.... I've just bought a 1988 428. Its my first backhoe so im hoping they are good!!

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Firestarter, From the evidence given by multiple owners/ users, If you had bought Case you wouldn't have to hope!! Mel

firestarter

Occupation
thanks for that Mel...
Unfortunatly for me I live on a small island (80,000 people) and backhoes (at least in my price range) dont come up for sale to often...
I will let you know how i get on with the cat

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Firestarter, certainly no meanness or downgrading intended!! I have worked 47 yrs in the service dept.for a Case dealer and hoes are my forte. Although I believe that Case hoes are the premier hoes in the industry that by no means indicates that they are the best at everything. I have been priveleged to anchor an excellent shop that prides itself in customer satisfaction. That being said, if I were in a customers shoes and there was not a strong dealer presence in the brand of my choice I would buy from the strong local dealer that gives good service. Sincerely, good luck with the Cat, they are a good unit , I hope that the one that you have chosen has been cared for and gives you years of good service. Mel

firestarter

Occupation
because of the lack of choice I just bought the machine which, for the money, was in the best condition.
I did look at a Case 580 (Id been recomended Case by a family friend) but it had a garden growing in the cab, some glass missing, was just a bit too rough....
even all the lights work on the cat, which is quite impressive for a machine 21years old.
I'm just a boy with a new toy at the moment....
Didnt think you were being mean Mel. Made me laugh. If i was you i think I'd have been a tad harsher!