• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's everyone wearing to stay warm

pburress

Occupation
field service technician
Besides the carhartt overalls/coveralls to stay warm(long johns aren't working anymore) just wondering what everyone else is wearing to stay warm? I've looked at the underarmor and northface cold weather underpayment but am wondering if they are worth the price? Thoughts

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I use a milwaukee heated hoodie under my coveralls and that really helps. It's feels like the sun is shining on your back all the time. Just keep a spare battery on the charger.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Under armor for me. Worth every dime extra. Lots of other coveralls and jackets besides Carhartts that are good also. Many Carhartts are made elsewhere and are in different weights. Seems to be hard to find the AMerican made heavy weight ones around here and when I do they are crazy priced. My last two coveralls have been Walls.

Dualie

hooded sweatshirt till about 8 am. we dont get much "weather" here in coastal CA

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Start with a long sleeve t shirt, long sleeve cotton work shirt, knit pull over, hoodie sweatshirt, then my carhartt bibs, and then my work coat. All that didn't do squat when the sleet and snow were coming in. My portable awning helped some to keep the wind off of me.

TrentNz

Damn why didnt i know about these milwaukee heated hoodies when i ran the open cab mini!!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I used to buy the Carhartt full suits because when sitting for long periods the top and bottoms used to expose your belt line after a while and you could get a chill.The good Carhartts have the black insulation,not the red and of course cost more too and sometimes you have to ask for it because it might not be on the rack where you shop.I confess that the last pair I bought were not Carhartts maybe,it has been awhile now,the padding is black but the coveralls are navy blue but they are warm and they have the leg zippers etc and I am pretty sure that I bought them at the Carhartt store just the same.Magson Uniform service in Berlin ct is where I used to get them around here.They will probably be my last.Ron G

oarwhat

After all these years I finally tried those cheap stick on foot warmers. Why I waited so long I don't know. they keep my feet warm all day.

I've been using plug in boot warmers overnight for at least 25 years nothing like starting out with warm boots first thing

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
We have a place by me that has bargain basement pricing on new Carhartt everything.Over the years I have been Marco,Jose,Miquel,etc.,really doesn't bother me.Big companies somewhere I guess overbuy with their employees names on the garb,then sell them if there's no demand to wholesalers.If you want no name on your stuff,much higher pricing but still under a Diick's[had to misspell on purpose,wow] type store.

r20d12

Occupation
heavy equipment field tech since July 1990
The Walls "Blizzard Proof" are the ones with extra insulation. Carhart has another name for theirs. I have had the Walls BP, now I have the good Carhart but they are in the truck. It's cold and I'm not going out there till I'm on the clock.

Right now I wear a t shirt, (sweat shirt if it's really cold) uniform shirt, Carhart hoodie that has this oversized hood so I can move it around to protect my face in a side wind. Then bibs then, uniform jacket and a whole Walmart bag full of warm head gear. Also Have FR bibs and coat that are ridiculously warm.

I'm gonna look for the heated hood now...

jjimbo

Occupation
Field mechanic/ owner operator
I like the so cal coveralls if below 40 stay in doors

r20d12

Occupation
Wow! Grainger has a big selection of the heated gear

Knepptune

Fleece lined jeans. Long sleeve shirt, bibs, sweater, and carhartt. Love my heated jacket for operating open cab stuff but I would worry to much about damaging it when I'm working on something.

If I could find a way to keep my hands warm I'd be happy. Haven't found gloves yet that I can grab a bolt with but also keep hands slightly warm.

r20d12

Occupation
Fleece lined jeans. Long sleeve shirt, bibs, sweater, and carhartt. Love my heated jacket for operating open cab stuff but I would worry to much about damaging it when I'm working on something.

If I could find a way to keep my hands warm I'd be happy. Haven't found gloves yet that I can grab a bolt with but also keep hands slightly warm.

I've found that those white cotton gloves that sell for about a $1 a pair work ok. I think they are warmer than the jersey gloves. If you need to you can wear two pairs. I keep two under the heater in my truck and wear one. that way I always have a warm dry pair.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I wear the fleece lined leather gloves,after you fuel and grease a few machines with them on they toughen right up and conform to the shape of your hand and become almost waterproof.Of course they need a few wet/dry cycles before they get good.Ron G

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
I live in miami florida so i ussually try to stay cool but hey we had a low into the mid 40's the other day