• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What would make my Takeuchi TL140 start and then quit on cold start up?

69zfarmer

I am still trying to work the bugs out of this machine. Now every time you start it for the 1st. time each day when it is cold or hot outside it dies after running a couple of seconds. No sputter or nothing it just quits like you turned the key off. After it quits a couple of times it runs great the rest of the day. The fuel filter was changed recently.
I also know of a TL130 that has a different engine that does this as well.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Sounds like you're getting air in the fuel system... next cold start leave the key on 30 seconds before cranking to purge any air with the electric fuel pump.

Delmer

You say the filter was changed recently, did the problem start about the same time? before or after? Was the old gasket removed from the filter head? is this a canister filter? any rubber hoses on the suction side?

Txhayseed

Once it dies does it act like its a fuel issue. Like it takes a while to start or does it fire right up ?

69zfarmer

The way it just stops and then starts right up it just dont feel like a fuel problem. It just started doing this long after the fuel filter was replaced.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
The next time it dies shut the key off immediately! then start pulling filters and lines off til' you find the most air ;) 95 percent chance this is an air in fuel issue !!! The best way I've found to track them down is get some clear fuel line and put it between something and look for bubbles... then keep moving it further upstream until you don't get air... simple and it works :)

Txhayseed

If it restarts almost immediately with out any hesitation i wouldn't lean towards fuel. Heymccall made a good point. Check your coolant level. They sensor is in the radiator when you open the rear door. It has to be doing its thing for the engine to run. You did say you had no temp gauge correct ?