• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What weight and brand motor oil for Cat 426

edgephoto

I am new to heavy equipment and recently picked up an older Cat 426 (7BC). I am getting together all the fluids, filters and other maintenance items so I can make sure everything is up to date.

I am trying to decide on engine oil. In the manual it lists a bunch of weights depending, of course, on ambient temps. I live in CT. It can go below zero here and occasionally hits 100 during the summer. If it is above 90-95 or below 20 I will not work outside. So the manual calls for 15W-40 for +5 to +122 deg and 10W-30 for -4 to +104.

So three questions:
1. Which weight do you prefer 15W-40 or 10W-30?
2. Synthetic or regular?
3. Any brand you think is better or to stay away from?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
1. I'd go with 15W40 personally.
2. If you like throwing money away, synthetic. If you follow the manual recommendations you're going to be changing the oil every month or 250 hours (whichever comes first) so you might just as well use mineral oil.
3. Any of the major oil company brands (Shell, Mobil, etc.) would be fine. You're looking for something that meets API CH-4 specification or better. You don't need to buy Cat-branded oil unless your local dealer has a promotion that makes it cheaper. I'd stay away from parts house oil brands or anything that comes from "Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries".

You say that you have a manual. Are you certain that it's the correct one for the machine.? If you are not sure post the Publication Reference of what you have. I show SEBU6232 & SEBU6338, which one depends on the Serial Number. There are three ranges, 00001-01877, 01878-03476, and 03477-Up. Which range does your machine fall into.?

edgephoto

I appreciate your opinions. I was leaning toward the 15W-40. I have always run synthetic in my vehicles mainly because the stuff holds up better. I usually double the change interval and just change the filter at the regular change interval. I was thinking in this case probably regular mineral oil is fine. I guess whatever I get a deal on. I am with you, run a name brand, you never know where that private label stuff comes from.

I will just be using this machine to clear some land I am buying and to do some of the site work. 250 hours will take me a while to accumulate.

As far as a manual goes I have the right one. My machine is 7BC015XX. IMG_6341.JPG

Nige

Good that you have a complete Service Manual. In that binder should be a thin book with a buff cover (the one that normally goes in the pocket behind the operator seat) that is the Operation & Maintenance Manual. What Publication Number does that book have including after the reference.? For example SEBU6338-01. I'm concerned that you may be using an out-of-date version of that book.

Nige

If you're looking for an up to date O&M or a Parts Manual for your machine (sorry I missed your other post) go to this link - https://catpublications.com/
Click on "Continue as Guest"
Type in SEBU6338 and click Search for an O&M Manual. (see my comments in the post above) the most up-to-date version is SEBU6338-01. Compare that with what you have in your Service Manual. A pdf download of SEBU6338-01 will cost $46.
Type in SEBP1569 and click Search for a Parts Manual. See below. $89 for a pdf download.

upload_2019-8-30_12-39-23.png

edgephoto

If you're looking for an up to date O&M or a Parts Manual for your machine (sorry I missed your other post) go to this link - https://catpublications.com/
Click on "Continue as Guest"
Type in SEBU6338 and click Search for an O&M Manual. (see my comments in the post above) the most up-to-date version is SEBU6338-01. Compare that with what you have in your Service Manual. A pdf download of SEBU6338-01 will cost $46.
Type in SEBP1569 and click Search for a Parts Manual. See below. $89 for a pdf download.

View attachment 201205

The book I have is pub # SEBU6232-02. I did buy the parts manual from Cat. I am not sure $89 is worth it for what I can only imagine is slight changes to the manual for a 30 year old machine. I would guess additional safety warnings and update specs for oils.