• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What we did with the new thumb, or, trying to be like Squizzy

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Second pic is from a lower angle. I've annotated to show an area where we put compacted fill in the driveway. That was the natural watercourse. The driveway is bordered on the high side by a solid retaining wall, about 5' high. It's constructed of concrete filled 12" Ivany block, and faced with brick that matches the house. (Is everyone familiar with Ivany Block, also called H Block?)

At the front of the house, you'll notice a circular area that stands out from the rest of the driveway. It's about 40' in diameter and paved with flagstone. The retaining wall borders it.

The paving contractor brought in a track loader and dug that area. The maximum cut was about 5', but that gray "slip plane" was right at the bottom of the cut. This was done on Friday. On Monday morning, when everyone came back to work, the whole hillside had migrated about 4' toward the house. :Banghead Climbing the hill afterwards, we found cracks that had obviously existed before construction began--they had weeds growing in them. They're at the top edge of the clear area above the wall.

I had to dig the whole slide area away, and install a curtain drain at its upper edge. That was a fabric envelope, filled with gravel, and a perforated pipe at the bottom, going to an existing connection to the neighborhood storm sewer system. The dirt was re-placed, and roller compacted. At its deepest, the curtain drain is about 10'.

(Sorry, resizing the pic makes it hard to read the notation about the slide, but it's in red. The arrow shows the movement.)

Attachments

• GTZlow.jpg
    GTZlow.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 317

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
These pics show the footer for the retaining wall. One foot thick, five feet wide, with an 18" key at the center, a foot deep. 5/8' bent rods tied to the rods in the footer stick up into the spaces in the H blocks. (That's what the plywood with the holes cut in it is for--to get the proper spacing.)

The architect/builder, (same guy as the other house/other wall) said the curvature of the wall would be sufficient to make it stand up to the possible push from behind. Once the blocks were filled, the space behind was filled entirely with gravel, and there is a drain pipe directly behind the block.

In the last pic, the skid loader is sitting in the circular area in the GE shots. The block portion of the wall is partly built.

Attachments

• GTZwall2.jpg
    GTZwall2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 310
  • GTZwall3.jpg
    GTZwall3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 328
  • GTZwall4.jpg
    GTZwall4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 322
  • GTZwall.jpg
    GTZwall.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Last two pictures.

First is of just the footer excavation for the wall running down the length of the driveway.

Second is of the wall, with the face partly finished. They had real stone masons do that part. Hammer and chisel work, cutting to fit, and all of it mortared in place. (I thought I had a picture of the finished work, but I can't find it.)

In the overhead shots, you can see a gap, where there's a sort of ramp up onto the landscaped area above the wall. You can see that in the pic of the partly finished wall.

In the long, relatively straight run down the driveway, there are block returns about every 10 feet, tied into the footer and the face of the wall, with the same rebar detail as everything else. They go back about 4' to the undisturbed bank behind the wall. All the space behind there is gravel filled and drained as well.

This was done in the summer of 2000. Last I knew, it's still standing.

(BTW, this house, by the time the owners finished with the purchase of the land, the building, and all the outside stuff, cost around ten times what the other house is selling for.)

Attachments

• GTZwall5.jpg
    GTZwall5.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 336
  • GTZwall6.jpg
    GTZwall6.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 340

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Holy crap!!

How many yards of concrete are in the footings?? Do you know what the price of this wall was? If it moves, I think we're all in trouble!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I don't recall, or even know if anyone outside of their office
even totalled it up.

On Google earth, the wall measures about 270 feet long. If I dug it to exactly the right dimensions, which never happens, it'd be 65 yards or so, just in the footer. I'd guess it was more like 75 by the time it was all done.

Taking the average (guesstimated, now 6 years later) height of the wall, at fifty 12" H block per yard of concrete, there's probably another 45 yards of concrete inside the wall too.

In one of the pictures, you can see the 8" blocks in front of the 12" blocks. The stone face is laid on top of a couple courses of those, but there's an awful lot of square feet of stone laid there.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Sufferin Suckertash...:eek: there's a whole lot of $$$ gone into the side of that hill. We humans tend to think geometrically and go for "solid". Why don't we just put the house on some skids and let it slide....."let it slide"...sounds like a line from one of Jeff's songs....or was that the Country Bears??..anyway...I digress....I'd have gone for pole construction:rolleyes:

I think I'm glad I live in the land of sand. We just finished a job up in them thar hills and with a bit of luck I wont see clay for another 6 months.

Thats some nice work with the wall. I'm trying to get people here to lets us do the retaining work with concrete tilt panels and then clad it with stone but they all seem to want what we have been doing here for the last 200 years and thats solid limestone mass wall. Oh well it pays the bills.

Thanks for posting that project Dig...whens the next lot coming..??? :D

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Thanks for posting that project Dig...whens the next lot coming..???

Here's one I did in China a few years ago. It was one of those Friday jobs. :rolleyes: It ended up crooked and it's not quite level. Good thing your guys didn't do it while you were on holiday--you'd have ended up redoing it... :wink2

Attachments

• Great%20Wall%20of%20China,%20Beijing (Small).jpg
    Great%20Wall%20of%20China,%20Beijing (Small).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 282

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Here's one I did in China a few years ago. It was one of those Friday jobs. :rolleyes: It ended up crooked and it's not quite level. Good thing your guys didn't do it while you were on holiday--you'd have ended up redoing it... :wink2

Naww...that wall will never hold up...I reckon another 2 maybe 3 hundred years and it'll come down:rolleyes: :Banghead

And stop hi-jacking your own thread...thats a job for us pros:bouncegri

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Holy crap!!

How many yards of concrete are in the footings?? Do you know what the price of this wall was? If it moves, I think we're all in trouble!

I can not remember how much crete was in the wall footer. The house footer has over 90 yards in it though.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I'm not sure which of the houses you're talking about, not that it matters. Neither of them has what you could consider much of a yard, front or back. And for this builder, that's not at all unusual. They've made townhouses their bread and butter for close to 30 years, and even their single family detached houses don't usually have much yard to speak of.

BTW, I agree with you...

tylermckee

They dont build houses with yards around here any more. Nearly every house we build we design it for the lot, and the house will be sitting on every property line setback :rolleyes: usually something like 20' front and back and 5' on each side. And if we arent stuffing a huge house on a small lot, we are trying to shoehorn it in between the trees for the homeowner. We seriously had one homeoner trying to get us to leave a 36" diameter fir tree that was about 2 feet away from the foundation, and already leaning towards where the house should be, the tree would have went through the second story. its a 3 million dollar house sitting ontop a cliff right above the ocean, probably sitting back about 20-30' from the edge of the cliff. we had to redo the existing driveway to get to the lot because it was running at 25% :eek: