• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What type of hydraulic oil should i use for my 580k

rdavison39

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, self employed
Pursant to my previous post of replacing the dipper hydraulic hose i need to top up the hydraulic fluid. I don't know what was in my backhoe when i bought it. I see my local hardware store (Canadian Tire) sells Hydraulic oil ISO AW32 ($50 for 5 gallons) - it looks to be pretty generic. Will this work or is there a special type i should use for the case580k.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
32 is a little light for machines used over here - but in your colder climate it should be fine to use.

rdavison39

Occupation
Thx Alrman - mostly use this during the summer which gets up to 26C. I take it, its okay to mix different types of hydraulic oil (i hope so because i have no idea what's in there now)

Ron

rdavison39

Occupation
I phoned the case dealer and they said to only use the Hytran haudraulic oil produced by Case ($90 for 5 gal vs $50 for the AW32). They also said it is not recommended to mix different types of hydraulic oil and suggested i flush the system and start over just to be sure if i don't know what type of hydraulic oil currently is in the unit (that would be $400 bill). This seems like overkill to me. After blowing a hose i need to refill a bit of the fluid but probably only 2-3 litres.

Anyone have an opinion or advice on mixing hydraulic fluids ? And back to my original question would i be better to use AW32 or AW46

Deon

Your manuel should say Case what ever oil or equvilent as long as it meets the Case specification # what ever. Probably available at Canadian Tire or Walmart.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Ron, what do you expect a dealer to tell you?
In a perfect world you could flush the hydraulic oil & refill with whatever is "recommended". Truth is, considering the age of the machine, it most likely has been topped numerous times & serviced for that matter, with whatever was available to the previous owner/s.
Is the oil brownish in colour? - it maybe HTU.
Is it yellow in colour? - could be 32 or 68??
Mixing oil, especially hydraulic, is a common practice. I would not worry about it. 5lt into the 60lt that is in the tank will make very little difference to breaking down it's quality.

Heck, the other day, I got a call from a guy who filled his hyd oil with diesel, to the top..... & went to work - till the engine ran out of fuel & could not understand why it had stopped since he 'filled' it in the morning......
Point I'm making is that, even with that sort of abuse, the machine hydraulics are working as normal. BTW the total hyd oil was replaced.

blitz138

Them telling you not to mix hydraulic fluids is a bunch of crap. If I remember right your hydraulic system doesnt have either wet brakes or wet clutches....going from memory so you need to confirm. If it does have wet brake/clutch you will need the Hytran or equivalent.

Any decent ISO 32 hydraulic oil will work. Theres not that much to hydraulic oil (as far as blending oils goes that is) you can top off with any major oil, getting oil from a jobber will be much cheaper as well.

rdavison39

Occupation
Thx guys - i kinda figured as much but last think i want to do is save a few bucks but cost me thousands in repair. I'm not 100% sure what braking system i have - what is the best way to determine?

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
Now what about the trans axle in a phase 3 580sk? It calls for case hytran. I've thought about either case hytran or jd hyguard in less than 100 hours when I'm going to change all of the hydraulic oil and transaxle oil. I've been topping it off with traveller's premium universal trans/tractor fluid. I believe it says it meets case hytran requirements on the jug, but at half the price I'm worried if it's up to what this case needs.

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
CASE X ref.jpgLocal CASE agent gave me this cross reference a few years ago.
Another way to cross is to check the spec number. Some oil suppliers actually have a lube finder on their site. You'll need to enter your make, model and year to get a recommendation. Wet brake oil(trans) seems to be a CASE only product though.

Last edited:

blitz138

No, the Hytran is just a brand name For Case on their Universal tractor Fluid, you Can sub in anything meeting that spec.

mitch504

What meets that spec is the question? Particularly in the areas of brake and clutch preservation and water handling?

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
Would John Deere hyguard work well? Lots of people use it in everything and lots of people have said it's the best hydraulic fluid. Would it or something that meets it's specs work? What is the best possible fluid that can be ran in the 580sk. Hytran or hytran equivalent is used everywhere in the 580sk right? Front, trans/rear, hydraulics, and brakes right? Mine will be at 4000 hours here in the near future and every fluid will be changed.

bob_00

Pursant to my previous post of replacing the dipper hydraulic hose i need to top up the hydraulic fluid. I don't know what was in my backhoe when i bought it. I see my local hardware store (Canadian Tire) sells Hydraulic oil ISO AW32 ($50 for 5 gallons) - it looks to be pretty generic. Will this work or is there a special type i should use for the case580k.
get canadien tire tdh fluid that is ms 1210 compliant i use it for year in my 580 k no problem

teddsadventure

View attachment 119423Local CASE agent gave me this cross reference a few years ago.
Another way to cross is to check the spec number. Some oil suppliers actually have a lube finder on their site. You'll need to enter your make, model and year to get a recommendation. Wet brake oil(trans) seems to be a CASE only product though.

thanks, perfect