1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What to look for in a used jack hammer?

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by CCompanies, Sep 22, 2012.

1. CCompanies

CCompanies Member

I'm interested in purchasing a jack hammer, preferably used.

I'm interested in an air hammer running off a towable compressor.

What things should I be looking for when I look at one?

Are they any brands or features I should be looking at?

Any thoughts, comments, concerns please send them my way to make my purchase easier!

2. barklee

barklee Senior Member

I personally think and have heard from many people that Thor jackhammers are the best. I have a Thor and a Chicago hammer. The Thor has been around for about 12-15 years now and has never had any work done to it, and it was used when i bought it. The Thor also hits harder. I would stick with something you can still get parts for, Chicago, Thor, IR, Sullair, Kent. Also, i might be a rare bird but i like a 60# hammer better than a 90#, seems like you can keep a guy alot longer on the lighter hammer.
    On the compressors i like the Sullair machines, they are so simple and easy to work on. I have a Ingersoll also but it seems like there is always something breaking on that machine. I have also heard Atlas Copco makes a very nice compressor.
    Good Luck

3. BlazinSS934

BlazinSS934 Well-Known Member

My service trucks have a 60 and a 90 from american pneumatic tool. We got them by accident and they work great. We send a bid package out with specs for Ingersoll and Rand hammers. They sent these. They work non stop come winter time. The handles are spring loaded to absorb vibration. And we also have the mufflers on them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348930655.072101.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. eric12

eric12 Well-Known Member

buy one with air conditioning where you sit down and listen to the radio

5. CCompanies

CCompanies Member

Thanks guys for replying. I think I have a better handle on what I'm looking for for my applications.

Is the difference between a 60 and 90lb hammer just the weight? pros and cons of each?

Any more suggestions are surely welcome

That made me laugh, unfortunately my company can't justify that kind of cost. And for some reason, I've been getting jobs which have been more on the specialized side, and a cab machine wouldnt fit the bill.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  6. d4c24a

d4c24a Senior Member

the ones with the sprung handles and hopeless as you cannot
    "power" points, chisels etc out , we have them , but they are not used ,go for the old school like this i have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDUUQWu22Y

7. barklee

barklee Senior Member

Agreed!

8. Wolf

Wolf Senior Member

What are you going to use it for?

9. CCompanies

CCompanies Member

Mostly concrete sidewalks or slabs, with some asphalt driveway and road utility repair.

For asphalt, I usually just cut and use the bucket to rip it out, but there are instances where the bucket is too wide and just need to hammer it out.

10. rabia

rabia Banned

I am agreed with your point of view. I also heard the same thing from many people. :tong

11. CCompanies

CCompanies Member

Hey guys, figured I'd give you an update.....

I found a used Chicago Pneumatic 60# hammer with 3 bits. I went to look at it and bought it on the spot. All seals good, everything functioned as it should. Guy who owned it was getting out of the business.

Thanks for all the replies, really helped out a lot in finding what I was looking for.