• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What to do to start a sitting dozer

Dozerman2

I like all the comments but would like to add run it easy at first to be sure the seals all get a chance to get lubed again. Be sure to keep a close watch for leaks, some of the lines may have dried out. Good idea to change the coolant as well.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
This reminds me back when I installed the engine in my D6 9U, I bought an engine that hadn't run in a very long time. When I installed it I could not get it to run no matter what I did. Eventually I figured out that the injector rack was stuck in the closed position. Once I managed to free it up it started right up. Somebody must've had that problem before too because they fiddled with the governor and totally misadjusted it and it tried to pull the rack shut too... Not sure what your injection pump setup is like having never worked on a machine like yours, but on the D318 engine in my 9U, you can take the side cover off the injector pump and gain access to the individual racks and pumps like that. It's also OK to run the engine with it open for testing purposes, no oil should leak out...
One thing I forgot to suggest, and have been reminded of by a little job I was tackling today, is to check the oil in the injector pump. My Fiat has two oil filled sections, the pump itself and the governor. Both of which seem to attract water.

sealark37

Occupation
Retired pilot, old equipment mechanic
The big problem is water. Make sure that you don't have any in the fuel, engine oil, or on top of the pistons. With good batteries, you should start right up.