• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what to do and what not to do when a engine runs on its own?

cfherrman

I have never seen a air shutdown valve except the factory two stroke kind, but we don't get that much gas around here.

My service rig has a pretty accessible air intake hole, but anybody else is probably too dumb to stop it.

Actually everyone is probably too dumb to use a air shutdown valve

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
on a bigger engine there is probably some serious air volume pulling in,no t- shirt working there. i have heard of dudes reversing the filter on the seal type. seems dangerous, the built in flapper deal gets my vote

Vetech63

You got to stand your ground on a runaway. Take control back and fight for that engines survival. Have a huge hairy sack your woman can be proud of that makes her feel safe. Inhale that smell of victory to its fullest because your a man!

Now, excuse me while I stand wayyyy.over there

JD955SC

on a bigger engine there is probably some serious air volume pulling in,no t- shirt working there. i have heard of dudes reversing the filter on the seal type. seems dangerous, the built in flapper deal gets my vote
So on the subject of clogging up the air intake…

I bugged a training engine for a class last year. C15 with a radial seal round air cleaner element

Among the other bugs we put in I put a trash bag around the air cleaner element

The engine still started and ran. Black smoked like hell due to insufficient air flow. Sucked the air intake elbow (rubber) in and collapsed the air cleaner element.

I wouldn’t rely on reversing the air cleaner too much as a plan of action. Plus we have seen other cases where the element has been accidentally reversed during service and the engines still start and run, just poorly.

Truck Shop

Local vo-tech school about 8 years ago now---instructor---a real savvy guy was instructing
the class with a demonstration of how to shut down a runaway on a wide open 3406B.
Using a clip board----it instantly shattered sucking the pieces in exploding Mr. Turbo.
Fortunately no one was injured-------The next time I ran into him at NAPA store----------
I asked {How's Floyd R. Turbo Today} after the Johnny Carson character.

BC Placer gold

Any diesel engines working in the oilpatch have to have a positive air shut-down valve . Roda-Deaco seem to be the popular ones here. I would assume that applies to NG or LPG engines too
We recently picked up an Isuzu powered Godwin water pump it has a Shocker Pass positive air shutoff system.

Attachments

• IMG_3679.jpeg
    IMG_3679.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3680.jpeg
    IMG_3680.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

Truck Shop

New a man years ago on a AC dozer that sat on the intake of a runaway , one as$ cheek had a hell of hicky . Said he thought the dam thing was going to suck him in .
Yeah I can believe it---knew a old Trailways mechanic that bragged about doing something
just as stupid. He was so enamored with the blood boil on his huge gut {that developed
from pressing his gut to the intake snout} which had to be drained several times till it healed
leaving a round purplish mess, he had the Detroit arrows tattooed around the mess. He just
loved raising the shirt from his sagging belly to show everyone at the local watering hole.
Short a few bricks.

Welder Dave

I wasn't really thinking and used my hand to stop the 3 cylinder Perkins in my tractor. However it wasn't a runaway. It was just idling so didn't take much to stop it. A friend had the shut off arm backwards after fixing a leaking throttle shaft. I tried to kill it in gear but it didn't want to quit quickly enough. I think it had something to do with it having a multi-power transmission. Thankfully no damage to my palm. I'll know better if I ever have to do it again. It wasn't a panic situation at all, I should have took a moment to find a board to put over the intake.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
We recently picked up an Isuzu powered Godwin water pump it has a Shocker Pass positive air shutoff system.
We had a ton of those Shockers on equipment up north. Everything with a diesel engine needed a posi-air or the mines wouldn't even let them in the gate if they noticed.

Some of those Shockers will run off the CAN BUS now too.

cfherrman

I wasn't really thinking and used my hand to stop the 3 cylinder Perkins in my tractor. However it wasn't a runaway. It was just idling so didn't take much to stop it. A friend had the shut off arm backwards after fixing a leaking throttle shaft. I tried to kill it in gear but it didn't want to quit quickly enough. I think it had something to do with it having a multi-power transmission. Thankfully no damage to my palm. I'll know better if I ever have to do it again. It wasn't a panic situation at all, I should have took a moment to find a board to put over the intake.

I just did that a bunch of times on my little Perkins, the rack Linkage was binding and not installed correctly

Old Doug

I have had to start a lot of engines that had been setting a long time. I always removed a air intake hose and had a board to cover it. I have told this before but i did a inframe on a 3406. I didnt know everything there was to know about putting a pin in the rail of the injector pump . I had problems before and told my boss i didnt want to but he had me remove all 6 plungers ? I got ready to start it and told my helper if it runs away and i for some reason cant get the board over the turbo for him to do it. He was behind the wheel and started it. It took off as i was going to the turbo i saw him out of the corner of my eye jump from the cab and run away. We redid it and was trying to start it . The boss had the driver come in so as soon as it was running he was going to go on a trip with it. It wouldnt start the driver got in it and it started and run ok . I ask what he did and he said he held the gas peddle down ? It always started before buy just turning the key. The drive went on his trip and came back and said that truck never ran that good before. Some thing wasnt right about the plungers and rack in the pump but it ran several years like that.

Truck Shop

Force feed it ether, don't wait for it to explode make explode, just wear a hard hat with face shield
& dog training armor.

skyking1

As a lad I worked at Sears in the service department. Those little tecumsehs in the common mower have a little oil pump, and they will keep running on practically no oil. We'd get a mower back on maintenance agreement that was burning oil and smoking, and sometimes we'd tie it to the loading dock rail, bend the governor wire and let er rip.
We tied it off so it did not flip off the dock when it tossed the rod.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
As a lad I worked at Sears in the service department. Those little tecumsehs in the common mower have a little oil pump, and they will keep running on practically no oil. We'd get a mower back on maintenance agreement that was burning oil and smoking, and sometimes we'd tie it to the loading dock rail, bend the governor wire and let er rip.
We tied it off so it did not flip off the dock when it tossed the rod.
Had an old Craftsman lawnmower I used to rip around on as a kid. Original Briggs threw a rod so we ended up putting a little 3.5 hp Honda in there for $50. Few years later it caught fire. Saved it but the air vane governor burnt off.

Was messing around with it and I discovered I could control it just fine with the governor linkage. So I rigged the throttle cable over to the governor linkage. Had a lot of fun sending it to probably double its rated RPM for about a week until the transmission piled up. I was popping wheelies and just abusing that thing. I actually flipped it right over backwards and was chasing it while holding the steering wheel, trying to shove it back over onto all 4 wheels.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
You got to stand your ground on a runaway. Take control back and fight for that engines survival. Have a huge hairy sack your woman can be proud of that makes her feel safe. Inhale that smell of victory to its fullest because your a man!

Now, excuse me while I stand wayyyy.over there
Chicken!