• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What to buy, EX60 or JD70D

DumontT

Im looking to buy an excavator to start a fencing business with and do general work around my farm.
I have worked for a local guy who fenced with a EX60(unsure of model) and it has made him nothing but money.
I am looking at a couple EX60s and a 1991 JD70D. I know abit about the 60s but have no back ground with a 70D.
The machine in question is a 1991 with front blade, 3 buckets, 8000hrs with the U/C done at 6000hrs, minimal leaks and works as it should. It has lived on the guys acreage mostly.
Is there anything to know about them? Good and bad points?
I am a heavy duty mechanic by trade so I can handle most problems but prefer less electronics.

Thank you
Tim

Orlando

8000hrs is not that many for a machine of that age, sounds pretty good may be worth getting if the price is right!

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Apart from giving the machine a thorough inspection attached is a document with some advice, if you need a inspection protocol its free on the web site.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Which Excavator.pdf
    706.4 KB · Views: 16

Tags

A 70 and ex60 are pretty much the same machines except I believe the Deere will have a Deere motor in it. If you look at ex60s chances are most will be grey market machines, some dealers care, some don't, if you get serious about one grab a serial # and call some dealers to see about parts. In my opinion they are both good machines. I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Kobelco70SR either, they are solid units.

DumontT

Tags,
Ya from my research on ricthie bros, the 70 has a few more horses and is abit heavier but ya, pretty close.
I didnt know most ex60s are grey market, I thought it was just a chance. I havent heard of a dealer in BC that will deal in parts for a grey market machines.
I would look at a kobelco but there are not any around.
Thanks for the info