• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What the?

Chris91786

Occupation
CAT HE Technician - Ring Power Corp.
A buddy emailed me this picture. What is this on the top of the cab? Some kind of massive cooling system like for hydraulics or powertrain?

Attachments

• post-5-1106850757_thumb.jpg
    post-5-1106850757_thumb.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,281

micbare

Occupation
maintance man for a medical group
I wonder if it is for something they are pulling with the machine? Do you know what they are towing?:beatsme

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know what they're pulling...but it looks heavy! I take a guess it a big bohunkin' oil cooler for the tranny oil. :D

hvy 1ton

If i remember correct the whole cooling package is up there. Some guy stuck a massive cat motor, not that the stock one was small, in it just for doing deep ripping jobs. I think Deas or maybe another aussie posted up a scanned article a while back.

CAT793

The whole cooling group is up there because OL MATE pulled the 3508 out and Re-Powered it with a 3512. It is used to tow a Ground Leveling device!

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
I believe it's 1200 hp hence the extra cooling. I did hear that they were or are going to build a 2000 hp one, it rips or plows paddocks

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
Its a modified D11 and it is used to pull a 15 meter blade plough. It is owned by a former boss of mine Don Mearns
Peter

CAT793

Hi Peter,

Did the engine come out of a 785 Dumpy or was it a Genset/Stationary application?

Did it fulfil its designed purpose?

Love to hear any yarns you have on the BIG GIRL?

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
The pics of that ripper remind me of little red riding hood "my grandma, what big teeth you have!" I would like to know more as well Mr Kennedy if yer willing to share.

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
Hey 793
I am not sure where or what the motor came from but I asure you whatever Don does he does it well. He has been in the contracting game a long time and has some brilliant people working for him.
All the best to you mate Where are you in Oz ??
Pete

Spanrz

Occupation
Diesel Fitter
Haven't posted in ages, but here's my 2 bobs worth.

I like the idea/concept of it, looks like the engine and powertrain will be on full noise most of the time, hence the lovely cooling package.
Funny enough, I love his mounting system, what was once a certified ROPS structure ;)
*now decertified*