• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Skid Steer Should i Get?

firecatf7333

I don't care if its case, new holland, bobcat, etc. How were the older bobcat s185s? Compare them to the case 1845C?

This weekend i'm going to look at an older 1845c. The guy is 82 yrs old and doesn't know how many hrs are on it or what yr it is, he thinks its early 90s. he said bottom line price is $6500. What are some of the things i should look for? It sounds like it has just been sitting around. How can i tell if the cummins is in good shape or will need a rebuild. I know little about skid steers, can you do a compression check lol

928G Boy

I was a Bobcat guy too...sold them for over 8 years and still own an S220. I also own an ASV RC50 and it's a far more capable and durable machine than most would have you believe. I don't think they're that expensive to run either...Terex retails the entire undercarriage (set of tracks, two fully assembled sprockets and all 24 wheels) for $5,600.00...if you replaced everything every 1,000 hours it would cost you around $5.60 an hour on the undercarriage.

Do not buy an TL26 or TL126. My Bobcat dealership used to sell them before the 864 came out and they had lots of problems. their new machines are much better, but well outside of $10k.

I still that if your limit is $10k you'd be better off buying a skid steer, such as an 1845 (good machines). You can get one that would work for your limited workload. Good luck.

that's funny I work for a contractor right now that gets 300 hours out of a set of tracks on their 257B, don't get me wrong I know the ASV undercarriage has it's place (working in topsoil and snow) but put it in rock or dry clay and kiss your boggy wheels and track lugs goodbye!

My Bobcat S185 has over 6000 hours on it now and she runs like a top!

Digdeep

that's funny I work for a contractor right now that gets 300 hours out of a set of tracks on their 257B, don't get me wrong I know the ASV undercarriage has it's place (working in topsoil and snow) but put it in rock or dry clay and kiss your boggy wheels and track lugs goodbye!

My Bobcat S185 has over 6000 hours on it now and she runs like a top!

That 257 has the same undercarriage that my RC50 has and weights over a ton more. That has a huge impact. The dude in the seat does too. I've sold hndereds of S185s in my time...great durable machine and I'm sure you'll get many more hours out of it..but I've also seen guys run them into the ground in 1500 hours and at the same time have guys like you with 5k+ hours in them. I run my machine in more than topsoil and snow too.

firecatf7333

Update on thread:

I did buy a 95 Case 1845c and have been using it for about a year. 95% of my work is loading firewood. Sometimes my loading areas can get wet/muddy, so i've considered selling the case and looking for a track machine. The Case works fairly well, if ground is frozen or in summer its great. The only "problem" would be....the tires like too spin when trying to drive into the wood pile. I've loaded enough wood that i tilt the bucket just right and it works fine. I think a track machine would get more traction and not spin as much and drive into the pile better. I don't want metal tracks b/c i load the skid often on my dump trailer which has metal ramps.

Do you think a track machine would be much better, and if so, which would you suggest for me? I only use my skid about 100 hrs/ year

Never ran a track machine. I have seen replies about t190s being underpowered. Then i've asked some people who say they love them. Reliable is very important. Bobcat dealer has good support local. There is also a Case dealer local. I don't think CAT or TAK have dealers close by. I don't want a real heavy track machine or much bigger machine than the case

cartzblown94z

The asv ride nice and are good machines. For the work you want to do they would be ideal and long lasting but the prob is finding one in your price range that isn't trashed. I'd look for a tak tl130. , gehl ctl60 or mustang mtl16 track machine. They are all tak 130's just diff paint. I have a mustang mtl16 now and love it. It's a beast

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
A lower cost option would be to put wider floatation tires on the 1845C. Normally I would suggest OTT but the 1845 really doesnt hold up to tracks well. I put a set of the15.5s on a 440 for a particularily nasty job and it is totally impressive what the machine can do in the mud with those tires on and the 440 weighs more than the 1845C.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Just put a set of tire chains on it for your short term siturations.

firecatf7333

I dont want to put chains bc itd be a pain taking them off constantly. I load on dump trailer often. I load slabwood and there's lots of small pieces in the loading area. The tires just spin on these and i go no where. My overall situation really isn't a problem, but if i could upgrade for only a few thousand then why not.

T190
Tak 130
Cats small track(247b?)
Cases small track
Rc60/ asv/ terex
I'd like to pick up a t190 bc there all over and i can get one for around 12k. How do these machines compare since there all small track machines

cartzblown94z

Tl130 will crunch them all. Cost of ownership, power, capacity. You couldn't give me a t190 !!! I got my mtl16 for 12500. Heat n a/c machine 2k hours

LWG

If it's muddy, a track machine might work. My T-200 is perfect for grading and landscape work. This was my second machine, and I knew little about skidsteers. But I struck gold with this one. I got several hundred loads of wet clay that was almost impossible to work. The T-200 was perfect for the job, even though I was able to get that stuck several times. I've used it with a backhoe attachment, a rockhound, a landplane, a snow pusher and a stump grapple. It was the ideal machine for me. I work on very steep hills, and it handles them well. I couldn't be more pleased. It seems like the T-200 is a little better machine than the T-190, even though the latter is newer. You should be able to get one in your original price range.

Joel59

firecatf7333, did you sell your case? I am in NY and am looking for one. Thanks.

AJN

I would go with OTT or chains. We use both on our skidsteers and never had a problem loading onto our trailers, which have steel ramps.