• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What skid steer model has made the biggest impact on your business?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I got thinking about this the other day. When I look back over the last almost 20 years and decide what machine made the most impact on my operation, I think I would have to say my first 95XT.

Back in 1998 I had 1800 series machines, the XT's had been out for a year or so. I purchased an 85XT. Didn't work out for me, my dealer rolled me into a 95XT with high flow. That really changed what I was able to do. I was now able to compete with larger machines (backhoes and small wheel loaders)in moving material on site. I could load trucks with ease. I was able to take on larger jobs with more of a profit margin. It powered any attachment I wanted to buy, and yet was excellent at excavating material. The utilization rate was excellent. I soon learned that a set of steel tracks turned into a small dozer. That machine really launched my company into a much more diverse operation with a much greater earning potential. The machine was expensive, even by todays standards I think, but it was worth every penny.

I remember Walmart had built a Super store here and they had about 3K yards or more of free topsoil they were giving away to those that wanted to load it. It was a popular place for a while. I showed up with my Circle R side dump and a 95XT to load out some of it. One of the guys that was with the major excavation company on the project came over and asked if wanted a shovel. That was pretty funny. No one was laughing after I loaded the trailer in a hearbeat with the large 84" bucket. At that time there were very few of these machines around. It changed a lot of ideas on what a skid steer could do.

A tracked machine comes close for me but at its time in my operation the 95XT takes the prize for making the biggest impact.

Anyone else?

74inchShovel

This is a pretty easy one for me to answer. Odd as it may seem, hands down my ASV RC 30. It is a little bit of a niche machine, but is very much in demand. Not to many of them out there in Spokane, so makes for a bit of a captive market. Its light footprint, ability to work on extreme grades, mud, adverse conditions about sells itself. When I bought it, I really had no idea about the machine. I just knew it was small, and that was what I wanted. Definitely my best business decision.

stuvecorp

I'd say when I stepped up to the Case 440 size skid, it allowed me to do a lot more material moving or 'excavating' type work. With the VTS tracks it has been huge what I can do and get a lot of compliments from people that are surprised a skid can do so much.

Although getting the ASL(RC 30) has to be a close second, it is a great niche machine that has allowed me to eliminate a lot of hand labor.

jgiordano

Considering purchasing a CAT 272C skid steer loader. Have always owned BOBCATS but sick of the service level here in Houston, Texas. We are a concrete paving company specializing in removal and replacement. Our last machine purchased in 05 was an S300.

Any thoughts out there regarding the CAT 272C vs. Bobcat S750?

Thanking in advance.......

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums jgiordano!:drinkup

The skid steer that had the biggest impact? Well it's not technically a skid steer but a CTL - Bobcat T250. Even with the added expense of the undercarriage, this machine is head and shoulders above a wheeled machine for what I do. You can go to work when the S250 or the other wheeled skids I have owned, are spinning in the mud or can't climb a hill.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Hands down my tracked Bobcat 864G. We can work anytime and never have to change a flat tire. The first set of tracks lasted 2000 hrs. It will work circles around my Case 1845C

Yellowdog

when I moved up from my s300's to my s330, things really changed for the better. I stripped some weight off the 330, put smaller tires on it and changed out the bobtach so that it would have the same angle as my s300. The extra engine power supported my mulcher and the extra pushing power proved to be valuable for digging and spreading base. I've gotten so used to running a 9000 lb machine that I don't think i can go back down in weight or power.

millingman

Actually, the biggest impact was from a lemon that I bought for cheap many years ago. It ended up costing me more than a new machine. Spend a few more dollars up front and it will save your backside when you need reliability.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Well the biggest impact i got was also from a Lemon a brand called Hysoon was cheap and i should have run then but the sales bloke at the time told me it was from the same company as a few other major brands turns out he was just full of BS well it ended up costing me more then a bobcat at the end of the day. (it was chinese made) machine was not so much at fault but could not get parts for it at the time and nothing would fit it from any other brands.

LedgeEnd

My first skid steer. Moving up the capability ladder made a huge difference in the number and size of the projects completed. I recall the "little" pile of topsoil which became enormous when I stuck my shovel into it.

I've since added pallet forks, which the self-leveling feature of the case 90xt is well adapted to, and a rock bucket with grapple. Add attachment - open up possibilities to do a lot more.

KSSS, I know that you asked about a specific model but I think that I would have been happy with anything that matched the capability of my machine.

Skid Shear

My Komatsu SK 815 has been a real workhorse for me.

I run it exclusively to shear and pile juniper and mesquite in the Texas Hill Country, which can get pretty nasty in the summer heat. I looked into getting a rubber track model, but after talking to several salesmen, I was convinced that for my purpose the rubber tired machines were the best. This country has lots of limestone rocks that are hard on rubber and I can replace several sets of tires for the cost of one set of tracks.

This model is on the lighter side for running a shear, but does well enough and is much easier on the my fuel budget.

The one thing that I would like to have is a pressurized, air conditioned cab cause it can get real dusty and hot on days like we are having now....got have something to reach for.

Folton77

Cat 287c. Sure, the undercarriage is expensive, but that's only when used improperly. I use it for brush cutting, grading, and material handling and I have no trouble with the plastic bogies and idlers at all! You can't beat the ride of the DLS! Cat all the way!

L&W

My first machine- 1988 Bobcat 743 with backhoe attach. Most profitable machine ever. Paid 14,500 in 97', just sold it last week for 6k. Pulled hundreds of underground oil tanks in late 90's into mid- 2000's. Paid my house off, funded my retirement, paid for some toys and kept my wife happy(somewhat).

2Vcon

2004 90XT - My first machine with the 2 speed and ride control - amazing how much material it could move. Also put the floaters on it!